No announcement yet.

Confusion about oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since I last posted about lusting for chips (), I have made my own. TJ's has corn tortillas (w/no oil) that I spritz w/h2o and sprinkle w/kosher salt. Bake in the oven and voila! It works for me.

Cool site..thanks..always like to explore and find new recipes. Hmmm...hydrator..may have to add that to my wish list along w/the hot air popper!
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

thanks for the chip info. i love my hot air popcorn maker i use it all the time!
      Katie
      dx rrms: 2/12
      copaxone 3/12 - current
      dx pcos 6/13
      gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Originally posted by sewhappy View Post
        Yes, quite a big subject that I am trying to learn.

You mention Vit E as a preservative in Fish oil. Is that bad? Can you please explain? I see it listed on the bottle I have in the frig.

I am happy to say that since my first post, I have become quite proficient at the "dry fry'! Have also incorporated flax oil (thanks to BigA and twentymiles) in my diet by drizzling over salad w/balsamic vinegar.
        Sewhappy, re-read my posts, sometimes I abbreviate too much.

Fish oil supplements MUST contain vit E (usually listed in other ingredients as d-alpha tocopherol).
        It helps preserve the oil....
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks, Tara...I think...now I have no more excuses for avoiding that bottle in my frig.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
            Chips are hard to duplicate. I have a few once in a while (and I do mean 2 chips).

nothing wrong with Beans. But in general, after you get beyond food as entertainment, the desire drops off. I snack on air popped popcorn with EVOO sprayed on.

It takes time to change habits but it gets better and better. As for your son - let him enjoy it in his youth. I have prepared steaks for my 10yo who eats better than the average 10yo anyway. But your family will have a gradual shift toward healthy eating. Or I hope so
            I wanted to add a new technique: Pop the popcorn into a paper shopping bag. Then pour salt and extra virgin olive oil (as much as tastes good) into the popcorn, close the bag and SHAKE (the bag, that is).

You'd think it didn't, but the shaking distributes the oil nicely.

Comment

Can't believe I didn't think of that...the ole shake-n-bake!

I did get my hot air popper a few weeks back!! I poured some EVOO over top w/salt but just tried stirring w/spoon and hands. Didn't work so well, shaking should do it. Great tip, thanks.

Any other seasoning tips/ideas? I know someone else mentioned they use brewers yeast.

Comment

Olive oil is the best solution on this regard i think

Comment

Originally posted by sewhappy View Post
                  Can't believe I didn't think of that...the ole shake-n-bake!

I did get my hot air popper a few weeks back!! I poured some EVOO over top w/salt but just tried stirring w/spoon and hands. Didn't work so well, shaking should do it. Great tip, thanks.

Any other seasoning tips/ideas? I know someone else mentioned they use brewers yeast.
                  Yes, I was surprised. I thought I'd get a few clumps of oily popcorn but it really does distribute. I've been looking for popcorn salt without milk in it, but have not found it yet. Getting a very very fine salt makes the popcorn taste better - you'd be surprised. Also, I sometimes put a little seasoned salt in to spice it up.

Comment

Working...
                  X