Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion about oils

Greetings!

I am a new follower of the OMS plan of Dr. Jelinek. I understand limiting saturated fats in the diet and why. I am however, confused about the different types of oils.

Yes, olive oil is best as it is the most "stable" , correct? What about canola oil? It appears to be a source of omega 3.

Trips to the grocery are taking very long as I am reading EVERY label!
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

I wish I knew more about these nutrition things. I just found out from Dr. Weil's site that it is best to get smaller bottles of olive oil, since larger ones may go rancid if you don't use it quick enough. I see that Dr.Jelinek suggests 20 grams of omega 3's daily. That would be 20 pills from the vitamin store or a combination of pills and flax seed oil or cod liver oil.
    I like the way Dr. Jelinek suggests these changes. But I can't seem to understand how to integrate them into a diet plan. If you are doing the Jelinek diet, and there is an actual menu plan, let me know. Otherwise I am following, the best I can, the Swank and McDougall plans. At least, the diets have recipes and all of the do's and don'ts clearly out there.

Comment

The best place to learn about oil is to read Udo Erasmus' book "Fats that heal, fats that kill".

Olive Oil is not the most stable as someone wrote on the OMS website. Olive-oil is the only non-chemically extracted oil that's truly cold processed - and only Extra Virgin. It's also immune system neutral, whereas Omega6 oils such as corn, soy and sunflower are inflammatory and Omega3 oils such as fish, walnut and flax seed oils are anti-inflammatory.

So you should be supplementing with Omega3, watching your Omega6, even from nuts and seeds and using Extra virgin Olive oil where you need oil. But never frying.

Finally: If you must buy something with commercially processed oil in it, canola is best since although highly processed, is high in Omega3 oils. If you must fry, then EVOO with some water in it. But never deep fry in any kind of oil whatsoever and really, you should not even pan fry.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
        I wish I knew more about these nutrition things. I just found out from Dr. Weil's site that it is best to get smaller bottles of olive oil, since larger ones may go rancid if you don't use it quick enough. I see that Dr.Jelinek suggests 20 grams of omega 3's daily. That would be 20 pills from the vitamin store or a combination of pills and flax seed oil or cod liver oil.
        I like the way Dr. Jelinek suggests these changes. But I can't seem to understand how to integrate them into a diet plan. If you are doing the Jelinek diet, and there is an actual menu plan, let me know. Otherwise I am following, the best I can, the Swank and McDougall plans. At least, the diets have recipes and all of the do's and don'ts clearly out there.
        Yes getting them in pill form is tough- and expensive.

I get my oils primarily through diet and liquids. I eat lots of olive and flax oil. Fish oils, through drinking Carlson's.

Typical method is I have an industrial blender, I throw fruit/veggie/whatever in the blender along with the oils, my b-complex for the day etc. It changes the flavor, but has been the best way I've found to eat the oils. I also cook with oils, put in salad dressing etc.

BTW, I just choke down the fish oil, I haven't found a good way to ingest those.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

The flax oil is delicious and you can put it in a salad dressing. Also, modern fish oils are concentrated so that you don't need 20 capsules. The amount of EPA and DHA is the important number.

You make a good point about there not being a plan, i.e. first week no cheese, second week no dairy. I just did it myself and developed recipies. It was complicated until I found a easy ways of doing things. Now it's effortless. But it does take time.

Swank is a good start. OMS is based on Swank anyway and you could transition later if you wanted.

Comment

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

JerryD, as BigA has noted, there is no real menu plan on OMS. Jelinek only gives a list of foods to eat and foods to avoid. The website does have a recipe section for members to post on.

I will be trying the fish oil in dressings, great idea!

It is difficult to change habits. For instance, I had always done a stir-FRY 1-2 x per wk. Mostly veggies, but frying nonetheless. Now I am using vegetable broth. More like a stir-simmer..haha

The real challenge is that I have a husband and 3 teenage kids (oldest at college) that I cook and shop for as well. While they are supportive of me, they are all carnivores through and through!

Comment

oops...I meant to say that I will try the FLAX oil in my dressing!

Comment

Sewhappy. I started with EVOO and one tablespoon Flax Oil and gradually shifted to 100% flax oil. When I went on the diet, my wife declared that she was not changing the family's diet for me. Gradually, she has. We seldom have meat and she fries without oil

Comment

Yes, the gradual approach with the oil is probably better.

As far as the family, good to know there is hope! Not sure though about my 15 year old son who orders wings when he goes out to eat...that may take awhile.

BigA, one of my weaknesses is chips and salsa. I make my own salsa in the summer w/tomatoes and jalapenos from my garden. Have you come across any baked chips w/minimal olive oil? I've been staying away from processed stuff and using the salsa as a topping or mixing w/beans etc...but I really miss the crunch that only those chips can provide. I may trying making my own by brushing a bit of olive oil on a tortilla and baking. Oftentimes, I have to admit, convenience is a factor.

Comment

Chips are hard to duplicate. I have a few once in a while (and I do mean 2 chips).

nothing wrong with Beans. But in general, after you get beyond food as entertainment, the desire drops off. I snack on air popped popcorn with EVOO sprayed on.

It takes time to change habits but it gets better and better. As for your son - let him enjoy it in his youth. I have prepared steaks for my 10yo who eats better than the average 10yo anyway. But your family will have a gradual shift toward healthy eating. Or I hope so

Comment

Well, even the tortillas themselves are not so great. They either contain funky oils or mono and diglycerides . I am going to try baking/toasting some whole wheat pita bread to get some of that crunch.

We have always eaten fairly healthy. I like to cook and have always gone easy on butter, processed food and such. I have a small garden with tomoatoes, peppers, parsley and basil (and a rogue watermelon!).

The kids taste changes (hopefully) as well as they get older. My oldest appreciates fresh ingredients and just asked me for my pesto recipe to make dinner for her house mates.

I also bought some flax oil today so will give that a try. Thank you for the book recommendation as well. I have placed that on hold at the library.

I appreciate your comments and replies. Always helps to know you are not alone.

Comment

Oils Big topic and an important one.

#1 Never heat an oil. Simmer, stir fry in water or broth and add oils after the cooking process.
                        (some believe coconut oil is safe to heat...I don't heat any oils)

Canola oil is one of the most genetically modified foods,....wouldn't touch it. also soybean and corn oil.

Olive oil is prodominatly an Omega -9....so we need to not just use olive oil.

Flax oil, hemp oil - 1-3T/day
                        I make green drinks and stir in flax oil, also heat some broth and stir in flax oil.

Fish oils: Tricky>>> how is it manufactured, source of the oils, vit E as a preservative>>>all of these are important to research befor selecting a brand of fish oil.

Amounts IDK? I use upwards of 5-8grams /day with some patients....MS, depression, pain, cardiovacular issues- to name a few.

Oh Wait...then there's the issue of absorption.

Lets not forgot you have to digest and absorb all this.....
                        Good gallbladder function, microbes, lymphatic system....
                        NutritionTara
                        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in on this Tara!

Yes, quite a big subject that I am trying to learn.

You mention Vit E as a preservative in Fish oil. Is that bad? Can you please explain? I see it listed on the bottle I have in the frig.

I am happy to say that since my first post, I have become quite proficient at the "dry fry'! Have also incorporated flax oil (thanks to BigA and twentymiles) in my diet by drizzling over salad w/balsamic vinegar.

Comment

~

Chips? Why not toast corn tortillas? Also, I've toasted lavash (flat) bread to use with hummus.

I bet dehydrated corn tortillas are a decent substitute

Comment

BTW, I found this recipe googling dehydrated tortillas. It's a raw food site, but there seem to be many good ideas.

http://www.raw-food-living.com/cracker-recipes.html

Comment

Working...
                              X