foot cramp while swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foot cramp while swimming

i keep getting a cramp in my left foot during my swim lessons. earlier this year i experienced it for the first time after walking on a log at the beach. something about the uneven surface caused a massive cramp/spasm and my toes were pulling downward toward the bottom of my foot involuntarily. it stopped when i changed the position of my foot. it is the same sensation in my foot when i swim as it was on the beach, but since i am in the water i don't know if my toes are pulling downwards too.

is this spasticity? are there any stretches i can do before i swim to prevent a cramp? and what can i do once i have the cramp to make it stop? the cramp is in the ball of my foot.
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

I get foot cramps from time to time. In my case its like the arch of one or both feet will try to turn into wood. My toes tend to bend up and outward.
    Sometimes its from trying to do too much (I can walk about a mile, after that I know I'll pay for it). Sometimes they just show up on their own.
    I'm pretty sure its related to spasticity, my Neuro doesn't like to discuss it.

Comment

Hi... I can relate to issues with foot cramps as I've personally experienced them.

I always emphasize stretching ... primarily in the mornings and ideally in the evening too. Frequently many people do not think about stretching their ankles, feet and toes. Definitely do either before swimming or while in pool .

There are a couple possible causes:
      Dehydration... Although in a pool, you need to keep your body hydrated -with water or gatorade (electrolyte) type of fluids.

Spasticity can cause what you've described. However, I know that people can experience cramping in calf and foot from low magnesium and potassium, often experienced during pregnancy.

Lack of muscle conditioning -muscle fibres may be less conditioned to the pull on them with each kick movement

Muscle tension - due to tension at ankle which has become tense over time and lacks range of movement

Position of the foot during swimming.

I think if you start with hydration - no alcohol, coffee or tea (iced) as they are diuretic - meaning rids body of water, and do stretches, you will see a difference.
      And pace yourself so you don't fatigue muscles.

Good luck and let me know how it goes
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Working...
      X