No announcement yet.

Solutions for urge incontinance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After having 8 UTIs in less than a year, my neurologist sent me to a neuro/urologist a year ago. I was already using pads for leakage and knew I was not emptying my bladder. The urologist did the test which has been so eloquently described here.

I was leaving a large amount of urine in my bladder and that showed on the screen. No matter how hard I tried, I could not expel it. And when they added more fluid it just sat there too.

He diagnosed a urogenic bladder and said he was sure I would have to begin self cathing. My hands are so numb, that just seemed like a way to introduce infection.

My neurologist had already put me on low dose antibiotic just before I saw the urologist. I take 100 mg. of Microdantin (Nitrofuran) daily. We decided to try that for 6 months. I have been on the antiobiotic for 1 year now and have not had another UTI.

I have a number of friends with MS who have been on this antibiotic for years with no problem. I am concerned about building resistance to the drug.

I am now almost totally incontinent and wear the next to heaviest Tena pads. I am so numb in "that" area that I usually don't feel a need to urinate until I stand up and then it is an emergency. I am mobile with a walker, but just don't get to the toilet in time. Kegel exercises have not helped.

Does anyone have an opinion about the low dose antibiotic thing? I am 75 years old and have had MS since 1978; many years of R/R and now S/P.

Comment

Oxytrol Patches

Sorry to come so late to this thread, but I just recently found MSWorld. I have OAB, and have had fantastic results with the new OCT Oxytrol patches.

Important: Do not start using these without first checking with your doctor, especially if you take other medications.

I can't say enough good things about this product. I have gone from several accidents a week to none, from going at least 16-18 times a day to maybe 7-9. In other words, like a normal person again. I've been on them about six weeks now, and have had no side effects.

Three tips I've learned on the way:

1. Get some of those wipes specifically designed for removing bandage adhesive. Getting the patch off is OK, but the residue is almost impossible to scrub off with anything else. Walgreens, CVS etc don't seem to carry them, but I got some form Amazon.

2. Place them close to where your bladder is, e.g. belly, lower back, hip. I put one on my thigh 1/2 between my knee and hip, and the medication stopped working until I put a new one in a better place.

3. It initially took two weeks for the medication to work, so give it a fair try.

They're not for everyone, but I hope someone finds this info helpful.
      PPMS
      Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
      X