No announcement yet.

Self-Cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there only a small group of MS patients that have to self-cath? I have searched this forum and two others, with little to no info on the subject. Is it just because of the sensitive subject?
    DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I think the whole incontinence/retention issue is sensitive.

Ten years ago I had surgery for stress incontinence (the loss of urine when you sneeze or laugh). I mentioned that I was having outpatient "bladder support surgery" in a group of women friends, and everyone was all ears. What are they doing, how long will you be out of work, who did you go to, etc. They were all eager to talk about it once they found out someone else had the problem too.

I think the idea of self cathing may put off some people, especially those who have had painful experiences with Foley catheters after surgery.

With the right size catheter and good lubricant, it's not uncomfortable for me.

Comment

Do you all have to use a mirror? I just watched a video from coloplast, and they encourage NOT to get use to using a mirror.

I can't even imagine doing this without a mirror!!
        DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I do not use a mirror anymore. It's just easier and quicker to do it by feel.

Comment

I did it without a mirror!! I couldn't believe it.....and I just sort of guessed and hit the mark the first time. I had a few more times that were pretty easy, then one time that I couldn't find the right spot......but atleast now I know I can and I am sure it will get easier each time.

Comment

Good for you! I still occasionally miss the mark, and have to poke around a little. I think "what, did it move?"

I try to use an antiseptic wipe every time, in case I do have to make a couple of tries. I order the ones that doctors have you use before catching a urine sample. They are handy for cleaning your hands at the last minute too.

Comment

I am using a wipe too, they came with my cath supplies. They are small individual wipes, I think called BZK wipes? What are you using?

Comment

When I started cathing the urologist had given me a 14FR...it was painful. If found that I did best with a 10FR.

Also, a mirror is a necessity for me, I have some intention tremor and without a mirror, I'm afraid I'd miss the mark completely.

I don't have to cath all the time. I had the testing and started doing it to try to limit bladder infections...I have them back to back for a yet undiscovered reason.

But my urodynamics tests showed I voided fine, just a small residual, except during an exacerbation, then it's more or I can't go at all. But just to be on the safe side they had me cathing 4 times a day to see if it would cut down on the infections (which it didn't) so now it's down to just once a day (at bedtime)

Since I have to cath so infrequently, I've been buying a "dream" cath, LOL. When you get excited about different types of caths...you need to get a life I guess. My insurance won't cover them, but they're less online than through the company that services my insurance company (i.e. a couple bucks at the online company I found, $14 at the catheter supply house my insurance uses...hard to believe.) Called Coloplast Speedicath...and they come prelubricated in a sterile solution...easy to use and very painless they have some special non-friction coating (one use only obviously)...more so than any other catheter I've tried. If you can get your insurance to pay for them...get them because they'd be unaffordable to me if I had to use them often.

I told Gomer when he was first told that he had to learn to cath, and had finally mastered it, that in a weird way of thinking, it's a very valuable skill to have, I'm glad I learned...beats going to the ER when your bladder won't empty

Comment

The wipes I use are Benzalkonium Chloride, probably the same thing you use. I order them separately since Medicare does not pay for them.

I noticed an antibacterial catheter on the medical supply company's list. They are coated with an antibiotic to cut down on infection.

Has anyone tried these? I wonder if they would cause irritation.

Comment

Kmallory and rdmc.....

Are you in the US? If so, there is a company I found that accepts what medicare or private insurance pays, AND then waive the 20%....so NO out of pocket expense at all. AND they include the wipes too.
                      Summitexpressmed.com

AND best of all the speedicath compact is included! and I agree rdmc, that it is the most comfortable by far! however, they have all different brands you may choose from. They sent me probably 10 different samples to try....and are so nice on the phone.

Comment

I have one with Nitrofurantoin which is Macrobid or Macrodantin coating it (I imagine, the urologist gave it to me as a sample and I haven't opened it.)

I haven't used it yet because I'm allergic to Macrobid, but my urologist thought it might not cause a problem because the problem I have with Macrobid is the pulmonary hypersensitivy issue not the hives or rash.

One day I might get up the guts to try it. Trying to keep everything status quo till we figure out what's causing the back to back UTIs. Just had a cystoscopy and fulguration procedure to take away some calculi in my bladder...so hoping that might help.

I have my doubts how the Macrobid on the catheter can really help...does enough get introduced into your bladder to get rid of an infection (it coats the urethra, but how much of that catheter actually goes into the bladder.) I need to do some more reading on it.

I did find out something interesting. I had a UTI that only responded to Gentamycin and Bactrim. I'm allergic to Bactrim, so my GP checked me into the hospital for 4 days of IV Gentamycin. A urologist told me, after the fact, that they can take and insert the antibiotic directly into your bladder, and do that a few days in a row and accomplish the same thing. My present urologist has gentamycin on hand for that, and also has shots (that's another alternative to the IV hospital route...I'd pick a series of shots in a doctor's office anyday compared to 4 boring days in the hospital.)

Comment

As RDMC said, its a good skill to have. Not fun but better than the alternate. I am getting better at it, but not really comfortable.

I am hoping self-cathing will help with my renal function. It's been in a decline this year.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Daisy.girl, I will look into this supplier. I tried Liberator but not covering the wipes and the 20% copay on their higher prices left a bit to pay. It was almost as much as Allegro's prices.

Rdmc, I am deathly allergic to Macrobid also. I read that the coated catheters will not cause a reaction, but I'm a little apprehensive about that. You know, famous last words.

I think they are intended to help prevent an infection rather than to clear one up.

Comment

Homer, it is a good skill to have. Not something you can point to in conversation, though! Except here.

Comment

Working...
                              X