Self-Cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Cathing

The uro/gyn sent me home with 5 or 6 and told me to just wash them out and use them 4 or 5 times before throwing away.

So, I haven't ordered any of my own yet. I called my insurance company and I have a 20% co-pay.

My question to all of you...Is which one is the most comfortable? and do you all use a size 14f? I want to make sure I order the best ones that I can afford.

One more question...how often do you all cath? I am still able to pee a little on my own, and I tend to go to the toilet often.....so, I don't want to cath too much.
    DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

I buy the Mentor brand, online, from Allegro Medical Supply. They are about $24 for a box of 30. If you are going to be out of the house or traveling, you can get self-contained pre-lubricated catheters called Speedi-Cath Compact. They are small, discreet, look like a lipstick or lip gloss case, and fit in a pocket. They make it easier than having to carry wipes, lubricant, and catheters around.

14f seems to be the most popular, but they make smaller sizes if you find that uncomfortable. Using a sterile water soluble lubricant will help, too.

If your bladder is not emptying well when you go, self cathing afterward will empty it completely and give you a longer time until you have to go again.

If you cath first thing in the morning, and last thing at night, then once or twice during the day if you start feeling like you are not emptying, you will be able to see if that works for you.

Good luck.

Comment

thank you so much....
      your information is helpful! I called a few medical supplies places this morning, including liberator medical. They said they would send me a 6pk trial of the speedi-cath, and a few of the other brands to see which ones I like.
      I don't know how much it will cost me, but my insurance pays 80%, so I will only pay 20% of the allowable amount. Hopefully that will not be too much!
      How long have you cathed?
      DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Hello,

I've tried some and sticked with "SpeediCath Compact Plus" from Coloplast. I love them. Easy to use, small and unremarkable (?). Today my little daughter asked if she could try this lipstick .

I have to cath two times a day to get my bladder completely empty, but sometimes I did it more often (if I want to go out for example). I was going to the toilet often too, because I don't get my bladder empty the normal way.

Greets,
        Karin
        "If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time." (Sherri Chasin Calvo)

Comment

Anthea....
          thank you; can you tell me how much you pay for a months supply. Do you have insurance? and what medical supply company do you use?
          This is all new to me, and I have so many questions.
          Thanks so much!

Comment

I have been cathing for about 3 years. My urologist kept arguing that retention was causing UTI's. My feeling was that self cathing would be likely to cause more.

Eventually he won. I tried it and he was right.

The supply companies that accept Medicare and/or insurance assignment sometimes have much higher list prices for supplies. So your 20% may be as much as he discounted price from a supplier that does not take insurance.

Just be aware to watch for this.

Comment

I went through the 'uro' thing before I found out I had MS. So, at the time, it was a very intense experience. My urologist had me measure every drop of liquid that went in me and went out for two weeks. But he taught me a lot. One of the things was that if there is 350ml or more Post Void Residual [what's left after you pee] you should cath it out. Another, was that every 20 minutes the bacteria in the urine doubles. So getting it out makes a lot of sense.

He also gave me 6 sample catheters and told me to wash them with soap a water and reuse them. This was where the TV commercials for catheters came in real handy. I was armed with the awareness that I didn't have to reuse those things. Before I got sterile catheters I was in a state of constant infection. Then, after that, it was much better but I was still getting infections. I have been on 50mg/day of Macrobid for the past 4 years and it keeps it under control.

The catheter you choose makes a big difference. The company I use sent me a selection of different ones to try. I choose the Cure non latex 12F. The smaller the better, unless of course you are in a hurry. The smaller ones take more time. I'm using a company called 180 Medical. So far, I have been very happy with them. They waive my co-payment [don't tell them I put it on the internet] they probably can't do it for everybody.

Comment

thanks everyone for all your replies....

I called several medical supply companys, and found one that also wavied my 20%. I have private ins (BCBS). So, I encourage everyone to check several companies. Summit Express is the I chose. They wave the 20% for Medicare too.

And the samples I received of the speedi-cath were wonderful...the easiest and less pain for me. And these are included if I choose to use them. So, I am going to get a months supply, delivered free to my door, of the new, wonderful speedi-cath compact....with NO out of pocket expense for me.

Now on to my next question....do you all still have to use a mirror? I do. So, as long as I am home; there is not a problem, but I have not tried cathing outside of my own bathroom. I sit on the toilet with a mirror. I would never want to sit on a public toilet. So, how do you all do it??

Comment

Originally posted by daisy.girl View Post
                  Anthea....
                  thank you; can you tell me how much you pay for a months supply. Do you have insurance? and what medical supply company do you use?
                  This is all new to me, and I have so many questions.
                  Thanks so much!
                  Sorry, I'm ill and just saw your questions. I'm in Germany and here it is a little complicated.

At first my Uro prescribed "Lofric Primo"-Caths. For them I've had to pay app. 62 Dollar because the supplier I've get them from paid to much money for them and my insurance didn't paid all of it. I've tried different Caths and stayed with Speedicath. And for them I've to pay only the 12 Dollar everyone here has to pay for a prescribtion. And I get them from Coloplast (resp. Siewa Homecare) directly.

Greets,
                  Karin
                  "If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time." (Sherri Chasin Calvo)

Comment

Now on to my next question....do you all still have to use a mirror? I do. So, as long as I am home; there is not a problem, but I have not tried cathing outside of my own bathroom. I sit on the toilet with a mirror. I would never want to sit on a public toilet. So, how do you all do it??
                    I have a legmirror (?), put in the cath staying and then have to sit down to get through my bladder muscle. And the other way around.

Comment

thanks Anthea.....

Where did you get a leg mirror? I did see a picture of one.

Do you sit on publix toilets after you get the cath in?

Comment

thanks Anthea.....

Where did you get a leg mirror? I did see a picture of one.

Do you sit on publix toilets after you get the cath in?
                        From Coloplast directly. I called the hotline with some other question and we talked a little about my problems with my mirror and she told me about the mirror and said she would sent me one. Good service, I guess .

Public Toilets are no problem for me. I've got my antisepticum always with me and the cath itself is so short and small it touches nothing but me .

Greets,
                        Karin

Comment

Anthea.....
                          thank you sooo much, I just called my supplier and they are going to send me a leg mirror for NO cost!

thanks for all your answers and sharing your experiences...you have helped me!

Comment

You will see, it's much easier with a leg mirror

Comment

thanks so much! )

Comment

Working...
                              X