Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which diet are U doing?

Hi all,
    I am following either McDougall or Swank. I have Swank's book and many of the McDougall recipes. I want more info on Jelinek's diet and the others, especially the diet plans that have changed their 'promoters' lives, positively.
    What have you got?

i have been swank for a few months, just recently went dairy free, and i am going to purchase jelenik's book soon and i also borrow ideas from perricone prescription (anti-inflammatory but not specific to ms)

PHEW!
    Katie
    dx rrms: 2/12
    copaxone 3/12 - current
    dx pcos 6/13
    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Thanks rainykatie,
      Now the question is, does the Jelinek book contain recipes and menus? I see it advertised on Amazon, but the ad doesn't show me recipes or menus. I am ready to find a better way toward my goal of better walking and clearer thinking. The brain fog and the fatigue and the lack of coordination is beyond my patience. And I am a patient man. Pass on any diet positives you find. I will appreciate it.

Comment

not sure about jeleniks book yet.

i find that having a green smothie greatly increases my energy. do you have a blender?

mix any fruits you like with either kale, spinach, collards, or turnip greens. i add flax seed too.

lately i have been on a coconut oil kick. i have less than one serving per day (very high in fat) but it is supposed to be really good for you. i mix it with pb2 (powdered peanuts) or put it on oatmeal or on top of chopped apples.

i also drink tons of water!

k
        Katie
        copaxone 3/12 - current
        dx pcos 6/13

Comment

Jerry --
          If you go back to amazon.com and find Jelenik's book, click on the "Look Inside" part. Then, in the "Search", type recipes. It will take you to page 323, which recommends Jelenik's website, which provides recipes.

On page 325, he also recommends several books (including Swank) which have recipes.

Maybe that will give you a place to start, without purchasing the book. I wasn't clear if Jelenik's book provides recipes or not. I read through some (but not all) of the customer reviews and did not see any mention of recipes.

Sometimes, if your local library does not carry a copy, they can borrow one for you on inter-library loan (ILL), and you could look it over before you see if you want to purchase it.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

rainykatie,
            I have a Vitamix juicer and I have not used it as much as I should. I believe in juices for strength and health. So thanks for refreshing my memory.

Comment

i have a vitamix too!!!! that should be your best friend right now
              Katie
              copaxone 3/12 - current
              dx pcos 6/13

Comment

I've been following the Swank-- only been on it 3 weeks, but already feel "lighter". The no red meat thing I think was a huge set-back for me, so to be off red meat feels wonderful! A family friend has been on the Swank diet for nearly 20 years and she is doing great! No shots needed, etc...so I'm following her lil path : )
                Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
                  Angeldifferent, I am curious about your experience with Swank and I am even more curious about the experiences of your friend that has been following the diet for 20 years.
                  I didn't even know about Swank until I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I use these stories from Swank followers for the encouragement.
                  There is so much advertisement for the MS drugs (and I don't have any problem with them ) that a casual observer thinks that the MS disease is under control and is 'cured'. Which is surely not true but to the uninformed and casual observer, the ads make it seem so.
                  I just have been laser focused on diet and healthy lifestyle choices leading to successes. Even small successes and health improvements are better than the alternative.
                  I am so grateful to you all, here, for the responses to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Angeldifferent View Post
                    I've been following the Swank-- only been on it 3 weeks, but already feel "lighter". The no red meat thing I think was a huge set-back for me, so to be off red meat feels wonderful! A family friend has been on the Swank diet for nearly 20 years and she is doing great! No shots needed, etc...so I'm following her lil path : )
                    That's great news. it gets better and better. One can never be sure what works and what doesn't, but I've met some Swankers who are doing well. I'm doing all I can, including interferon which also has dubious benefit. I've just put together my package of diet+Exercise+mediation+Meds according to the OMS plan.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                      Thanks for the responses, everyone.
                      Angeldifferent, I am curious about your experience with Swank and I am even more curious about the experiences of your friend that has been following the diet for 20 years.
                      I didn't even know about Swank until I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I use these stories from Swank followers for the encouragement.
                      There is so much advertisement for the MS drugs (and I don't have any problem with them ) that a casual observer thinks that the MS disease is under control and is 'cured'. Which is surely not true but to the uninformed and casual observer, the ads make it seem so.
                      I just have been laser focused on diet and healthy lifestyle choices leading to successes. Even small successes and health improvements are better than the alternative.
                      I am so grateful to you all, here, for the responses to my post.
                      Jerry, all I know is I already feel better/lighter on the Swank diet and starting to pick up some energy! Wheee, and yeah. I can tell you that the family friend that has been on for over 20 years. Looks and feels wonderful...she has never even used a cane. She is very active and has a very positive attitude. She does no longer work, has a housekeeper and to this day takes a daily one hour nap. (I take a one hour a day nap as well - my PT said very important as the Neuro heals & charges to finish up the day/eve)She is (thru family) giving me encouragement & tips. A lot of it is the keep moving and keeping a positive attitude. She hasn't had any major relapses in all this time as far as I know. She started w/PT....as I am doing as well. KEEP ON KEEPING
                      Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                        That's great news. it gets better and better. One can never be sure what works and what doesn't, but I've met some Swankers who are doing well. I'm doing all I can, including interferon which also has dubious benefit. I've just put together my package of diet+Exercise+mediation+Meds according to the OMS plan.
                        Thank you BigA Keep on Keeping!!

Comment

Working...
                        X