Avonex Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex Pen

Just started using the Avonex Pen. At first, it didn't hurt as bad as the shots, but now, my thighs are killing me. The directions say to only do it in your thighs. Anybody else using the pen? What is your experience? Have you tried doing it anywhere besides the thigh?

I've been using the pen for about 2 months now. I haven't had any issues only giving myself the injections in the thigh. I'm not sure why they instruct you to only use the thigh. I notice the area of the thigh is also different than the regular syringe. So I guess there's a reason.

I do alternate thighs & try to pick a different spot than previously. You could try calling Avonex & ask about the locations.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I've used the pen and the needle. Every time I inject in my thigh, it hurts about 3 days later, for the next 3 days. It kind of feels as if the needle was left in. Is that how you feel?

The reason that it's only for the thigh is that other parts are difficult (arms) or there is too much fat (butt).

However, if you are coordinate or have a partner to help, I give myself arm injections. My shot anxiety is finished now. I love the pen. You can try that, bearing in mind it's not strictly approved for that, but most likely because if you did a trial with 100 people, too many would get it wrong.

You can contact me if you would like to know how I do it in more detail, but basically, I am able to reach around to my other arm, center the pen over the same point as described in the needle instructions for an arm shot, and press the tube till it clicks. then I press the button.

Comment

I too would like to know more about the Pen. I've been on the pre-filled injections for a year now. I am very slow at giving myself the injection. I mean I put the needle very slowly into my thigh because I really don't want to flinch with pain or I can brace myself better if it's slow. How quick is the Pen? I got the instruction guide and it said you slowly count to ten after you press the button. But how fast does the needle poke you? I'm sort of used to the control have I with the pre-filled injections, but I really don't like the long needle. The Pen has a shorter needle, does that make it hurt less? Anything anyone can tell me about this Pen would be great. Thanks so much, keep positive.

Comment

It goes SNAP and then you count to ten and it's done. Not seeing it makes a big difference. Don't worry about the rest I was always trying to get it in gradually, imagining it saturating the muscle or spilling out of the hole, but that's just worry.

The pen is amazing.

Comment

Pazer, I agree with BigA, love the pen! It really does go in fast. As fast as you can snap your finger. But you don't see the needle and even if you happen to feel a little pain, it's over so fast that it's just done. No hesitancy, no feeling pain & wanting to pull out.

It's wonderful for anyone with anxiety over giving themselves a needle. I wouldn't be able to do it without this pen. If you're someone who likes to feel more in control, then you may prefer the syringe.

As far as pain, very little & sometimes none. Between the smaller needle & it going in so quickly, I don't hesitate for even a second to click the button to inject myself.
            Diagnosed: May 2012
            Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
            Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

1st Pen Injection tonight!

I have been using the Avonex prefilled with the standard needles for over a year. I used the pen for the 1st time tonight! I was scared at first after watching some you tube videos, but then decided just to go for it.

It was amazing!! SUPER EASY! NO PAIN! No anxiety over that poke or pushing the needle down, then the plunger. I hate all those parts! This was soooo much better!

I was afraid I would flinch when it went in and I didn't at all. I didn't even feel it. I think since the needle is so much smaller.

I will never go back to the old way! The new pen is the way to go!!
              Be the kind of WOMAN that when your feet hit the floor each morning
              the DEVIL says "OH CRAP, SHES UP."

Comment

Originally posted by Pazer View Post
                I too would like to know more about the Pen. I've been on the pre-filled injections for a year now. I am very slow at giving myself the injection. I mean I put the needle very slowly into my thigh because I really don't want to flinch with pain or I can brace myself better if it's slow. How quick is the Pen? I got the instruction guide and it said you slowly count to ten after you press the button. But how fast does the needle poke you? I'm sort of used to the control have I with the pre-filled injections, but I really don't like the long needle. The Pen has a shorter needle, does that make it hurt less? Anything anyone can tell me about this Pen would be great. Thanks so much, keep positive.
                The poke is barely even noticeable. I've had worse sensations from mosquitoes biting me. The shorter needle is definitely a big plus. Best of luck to you
                Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Oops!

I used the pen last night for the first time. I couldn't get it to release and then when it did, I jumped. Drug went everywhere but in my leg. Burned too.�� maybe cause it was my left hand. I don't know.
                  Prepped another one an asked my partner to give it to me. Worked like a charm, didn't feel the needle or the medicine.

Well for me, if using the pen, I need assistance. I can do the needles by myself. ��

Comment

Fearless, I had a similar experience, couldn't get the thing to work no matter how hard I pressed. My husband had to do it for me three times. I got some advice from others on this board-listen for the little click that lets you know the pen is unlocked, then press the blue button. It's not just the window being covered that lets you know it's ready-there's a little click that you hear when it really does unlock. It's not nearly as loud as the snap you hear with the blue button. I put it against my leg and sort of press the two parts together until I hear the click then I do the blue button. Done it myself successfully about ten times now. Good luck.

Comment

You have to pull the tube onto your skin first. If you have your finger or thumb on the button it will not click.

It's like unlocking the car when you're lifting the handle.

Just hold the tube on the side and press down. THEN put your finger on the button.

Comment

Good to hear!

Okay,
                        So I just have to say I'm loving that everyone is enjoying the Avonex Pen! I actually saw it at ECTRIMS last year in Amsterdam... I was on Avonex at the time & it wasn't approved for use yet, but I was SO looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, Avonex wasn't the drug for me and my MS... but I love hearing that everyone is doing well on it.
                        Here is the intro video I did to it at ECTRIMS, prior to it being approved for use.
                        http://conferencecenter.msworld.org/...ctrims-exhibit

For those that are just starting off on Avonex... I've heard really good success stories with the "titration kit"... kind of like a "build you up" kit for Avonex.

When I was on Avonex, I made sure that I pre-medicated prior to the injection... and then later when going to be. I always took the injection in the evening, and I just slept through the side effects.

If you are having problems with the shot, or the pen... I would get a hold of your Avonex Nurse... or speak to your neuro about it. Your care team is really important, and you need to keep them in the loop so they can help out

Best of luck to everyone...

xoxo
                        Ashley Ringstaff
                        Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

I have the same experience as kittysmith and BigA with delayed muscle pain that lasts for several days. I don't remember being this sore from injecting the prefilled syringe into the top of my thigh and have never noticed muscle pain from injections into my arm. I love that the pen has allowed me to take back control of my treatment after years of needing a friend to do my injections (arm), but as a distance runner I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. I'm interested to know if anyone else does pen injections into their arm.

Comment

Thatgirl,

me too. It's given me such a sense of freedom. I had my wife injecting me and it was definitely nice to get my freedom back.

Why do you wonder if it's worth it? Are you worried about muscle damage? I have been worried about it, but at the end of the day, I only hit each arm once every two weeks. At the same time, it's worth noting that the auto-injector hits the same depth every time, so there is room for damage, theoretically.

But my arms are fine - How long has it been, 6 months?

Comment

You will be very excited about switching to The Pen !

I am new to MS.
                              17 shots of Avonex so far. Chills only as a side effect.

Easy to use and No Pain.

Walking, but no driving for now.
                              Am a very young 65.
                              Looking for love again after 38 years of marriage.

2 beautiful children & 2 beautiful grandchildren.
                              I am in NJ. My children are in Pitts.]

Jordan (A very nice Jewish loving man)

Originally posted by Pazer View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X