Whole Foods/Plant-based non-success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Foods/Plant-based non-success

Hi there: I'm wondering about the experiences of anyone who has shifted, successfully, to a whole foods/plant-based diet (very limited animal-based foods), and particularly to anyone who has done so and NOT seen results/improvement.

Please be honest about how thoroughly you managed such a major dietary shift, how long you did it, what things you did or didn't include (dairy? processed grains? sugar?), what effects you noticed, etc.

I'm happy to hear from successes too, but I'm particularly interested in people who are convinced this approach did little or nothing for them.

Please understand I have no judgment if you couldn't stay with such a major dietary change, I realize it's not easy.

Casey,
    You have piqued my interest with your post. You are looking for people to write you that they are quitters !! Interesting !
    I guess you have never seen all the weight loss schemes advertised on TV.
    It is a fact that people will choose the easiest path. People do not like change and will not change without significant motivation and willpower.
    It is also a known fact that Dr. Swank documented over 30 years of positive changes to patients with MS through dietary changes. The outcomes from making these choices are significantly better than any other that have been seen in 150 years. Even the biggest meat and potatoes eating dinosaur should be able to realize and accept those facts.

Comment

Casey,

I'm sure they're out there and there is no guarantee for any of us. The thing is that your only risk is improved health. The diet may seem severe, but if you do a little reading, you'll see that "normal" food is so unhealthy that it should not even be eaten.

There are a few places to start, you can watch "Forks over Knives" and read "The China Study". It will prime you for the diet. Once I made the switch and felt better and lost weight, I had no desire to eat what "normal" (fat and unhealthy) people eat.

Will it work for you? Will your symptoms get better? There's no way to know. In fact, in general the promise of the diet is reduced progression only, though many people do feel better symptom-wise.

I think you're asking because you're interested. There is no risk to trying. What seems like a giant change, isn't really. Do some reading and it will become clear.

Comment

Detox?

Before you start a health diet, did you detox, do a cleansing, anything like that?

I have a VERY unhealthy diet (not a big fan of fruit and vegetables). I want to try the Swank diet. Just not sure how big a shock my body will go into. No joke, I live on Diet Coke, junk food and cigarettes (quitting cigs, haven't had one in three days).

Comment

Seal,

really, it's not as dramatic and mystical as it sounds. But I think that understanding exactly why and how diet works will help you.

You may end up with another diet, but I can't recommend this book (from Amazon or Library) highly enough. This can be your starting point. If you're not well versed in the theory behind diet, you may find it harder to stick to it.

This is not your normal "MS Diet Book" - it's written by a doctor who's mom died of MS and who found himself with it at age 45 (like me, a middle aged man, the worst statistical category). It's a book on how to see the illness and how to "overcome" it, not just diet. This book is different from diet books in that it is a full introduction into the disease and things that affect it.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Mul...iple+sclerosis

Comment

Seal,
            There is no detox-ing needed. Have you ever entered nto a new experience with nothimng to lose but some free time? That's what you need to get into the correct frame of mind to commit to an MS diet plan. In this case, you can educate yourself with first hand information from 'real' medical practitioners who also religiously documented their methods. And they give you the methods and reasoning behind their methods. All of this stuff is completely within your grasp. If you truly want to make the change, this is the way. None of these diet changes are in any way toxic or unhealthy. Unlike some of the popular diet fads. Good luck

Comment

Yes, and you don't have to chant or burn insense either. I can promise you that MS or not, you will feel better than you ever have, espeially if you're a poor eater and ex-smoker.

This is your chance to take your health into your own hands. This is your wakeup call!

Start by reading the book.

Comment

Thanks BigA,
                Between you and me, we shut down the 'negative Nellies'. I surely didn't desire that outcome, but 'the truth hurts'. And the MS diet choices aren't nearly so Draconian as the disbelievers think. They just don't want to 'eat their vegetables'. lol

Comment

Originally posted by casey2u View Post
                  Hi there: I'm wondering about the experiences of anyone who has shifted, successfully, to a whole foods/plant-based diet (very limited animal-based foods), and particularly to anyone who has done so and NOT seen results/improvement.

Please be honest about how thoroughly you managed such a major dietary shift, how long you did it, what things you did or didn't include (dairy? processed grains? sugar?), what effects you noticed, etc.

I'm happy to hear from successes too, but I'm particularly interested in people who are convinced this approach did little or nothing for them.

Please understand I have no judgment if you couldn't stay with such a major dietary change, I realize it's not easy.
                  Casey - on re-reading this, it occurred to me you might be looking for reasons not to do diet. Perhaps a loved one is pressuring you? You don't have to go on a diet. it's not the sort of thing you can do without having some faith in it.

I'd still add that it's easy and you will benefit from a good diet but if you are doing it for someone else, you may end up feeling miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                    Thanks BigA,
                    Between you and me, we shut down the 'negative Nellies'.
                    I find some of the comments on here offensive or at very least insensitive ("quitters" comment for example).

I am very glad that you and BigA have been successful and enjoy the benefits of this diet, but I didn't see any negative comments from anyone, just the OP asking a question (not asking for quitters!).

For myself, I will not be going to this extreme on a diet because of my MS or otherwise. I want to live and enjoy my time here and that includes cooking and eating.

When I first starting having all my problems with my leg and foot drop is when I was on a very low (almost no) fat diet and had lost 45 lbs. Sorry, but it didn't do me any good now did it.
                    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

jbell,
                      Not to be offensive and not to be defensive but 2 things I can think of that you are leaving out of the conversation.
                      First, you do not mention if you lost 45 lbs out of 'xxxx' that realistically needed to be lost. And #2 : you could have been on an ultra low fat diet that was ill advised and not anywhere near optimal for the treatment of this disease, e.g. Swank, Jelinek, McDougall .

Although your post is well intended, a statement by an obese friend of mine who claims that she overindulges herself on fruit and that has caused her obesity. I have watched enough episodes of 'the biggest loser' to recognize when an obese person is sincere.
                      Please don't sugar coat anything this serious with me. I am not perfect and I admit it. But you will need to go a long way to convince me that the carefully constructed diets by these medical practitioners, some of which have been clinically relevant for 30 years, are hogwash. The fact that you didn't benefit from the diet, as you have stated, could have some other factors involved. And I do not want to speculate on that.
                      By the way, I have lost 15+ pounds since May and I have cheated on the Swank plan, but I won't quit until I lose another 15 or 20.

Comment

To reply or answer your 2 comments;

1. I lost 45 lbs when needing to lose about 30...the weight loss program was developed by Dr. Marshall Stamper, MD in 1971.
                        2. I did not know I had this disease when I was losing weight, just wanted to be in the best shape of my life when turning 50...

Again, I am not saying anything bad about this diet or any other one for that matter, if it helps just one person then it is worthy of mention. I just thought the comments about "shutting down" and "quitters" was uncalled for.
                        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I try to avoid these sort of discussions, so Jerry - while it's important that you are helping to spread the word on diet, exercise and positivity, "shutting down" is perhaps a poor choice of words.

I have "diet friends" who lecture people on scooters telling them they wouldn't be where they are if they had only eaten better. I cringe when I hear this.

At the same time, I know a woman - not terribly old, who uses a scooter though she can walk short distances with no trouble, i.e. to the bathroom. She's fat and eats fried foods dipped in ranch dressing. Might she be better off on a diet an exercise program? I believe so, though I haven't yet found a way to mention it delicately. Telling someone they're fat and out of shape is perilous even if they don't have MS.

But I also don't care to hear from people who feel the need to announce that they tried diet for a few months, or they were vegan before getting sick or an athlete,etc on these threads. What's the point? To put someone off? To save them the trouble? Everyone is different. This is a smaller, more positive community than the rest of the website that can be somewhat negative. We dont' need anyone "shutting" us down either with tales of woe; it doesn't help but it does hurt.

My diet friend asked me what I will do now that Interferons have been "proven" ineffective against progression. Nothing - I will continue with what seems to be working. My shots and my diet especially is very important to my well-being. I am told regularly I "look good" and like to hear it. On most days, though not all, I feel good too.

So we should be polite to each other. Since we're all different, we can't say what works and doesn't work for any individual.

Comment

The China Study Diet

My husband was dx with Hemmochromotosis 5 years prior to me being dx with MS. Reading all the material I could about his disease we decided to change our diet. And overnight we became VEGANS, it was not as hard as most seem. It was a choice and committment. Then when my Mom died in April 2011 I broke down, I had all the justifications I needed to EAT whatever I wanted and I did... Then in Septemeber 2012 I was dx with MS. I keep repeating to myself I was misdiagnosed . In Feb. after a doctors visit having gained 31 lbs in a short time. I then went to one to my holistic doctors and he helped me to go back to a Vegan way of life, supplements, and feel good. It will be a year since my dx next week. I can tell you that I almost feel back to myself. I do have lack of energy, but hey I'm 53.. Hope all of my MS friends here can find balance in thier life.

Comment

Hi dlorist1,
                              I enjoyed your post. You have lifted my spirits with your story. I am also 53 years old. I have had my dx of PPMS since 2009. i am leaning towards vegetarianism, or at least the Swank diet. I do it but I cheat, all too much. Either way, I am losing weight slow and steady. I think if you have a handle on your disease, you have about all you can ask for. I am actively looking to do the same as you. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X