weight loss surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight loss surgery

How does weight loss surgery affect MS and does the stress of it cause exacerbations? I am currently and for the past 9 months been having issues with mobility and gaining weight rapidly because I cannot burn off what I am eating. I was seriously considering the lap band procedure. I was also wondering if anyone knew how this would affect me having a baclofen pump as well since this also has a port in it for them to fill and unfill the band around your stomach. I am just wondering if anyone with MS has done this or has experience with this?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

I have been waiting to weigh in on this post for a while. I do not have any ideas about the connections between the surgeries and MS, but surgery seems a bit etreme to me. I would get on a Swank or Dougall diet, first. Buy the books and do the recipes. And in 3 to 6 months, see if things have changed for the better. Good luck

Comment

My mom has MS and wanted to lose a few pounds as well. She has been doing Visalus shakes and finds she has higher energy and feels better than before. You can check them out at mkulis.bodybyvi.com. Also respond to me if you have any questions. I did bring this to my doctor as well since I suffer from Migraines and "unknown exacerbations"; waiting for a MS diagnosis. Might be what you are looking for without surgery.
      Mandy
      -in limbo for 7 years...

Comment

How far along the weight reduction surgery path have you gone? If you have already chosen a hospital and a program you should be able to contact a doctor there to get some info. I have a friend who had the surgery and she was in contact with her physician almost from day one. If you are still in research phase, then you can find a center in your area and call for info.
        You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

I had the gastric sleeve surgery before I was diagnosed with MS. I know if I knew I had MS I probably wouldn't done this surgery or the 4 in vitro fertilizatios that I did to have my daughter. I'm glad I didn't know because it helps when you try to follow any MS diet. I have not had any problems so far. I am currently following a gluten free diet and is helping with my symptoms. My surgery was on April 2011 and my diagnosis was August 2011. I went to the doctor because I started dragging my left foot a little. I had that before along with some other symptoms. In 2010 my husband participated in a fundraising program that is called "MS Leadership Program". Is to raise money and MS awareness. It lasts months and they visit places, hospitals and meet people with MS. My husband kept telling me to go to the doctor. I've had MS since my 20's and had been blaming my symptoms on a pinched disc.

Comment

Originally posted by mkkga05 View Post
            My mom has MS and wanted to lose a few pounds as well. She has been doing Visalus shakes and finds she has higher energy and feels better than before. You can check them out at mkulis.bodybyvi.com. Also respond to me if you have any questions. I did bring this to my doctor as well since I suffer from Migraines and "unknown exacerbations"; waiting for a MS diagnosis. Might be what you are looking for without surgery.

I agree with Jerry. A plant-based diet sounds better than surgery or shakes.

Watch "forks over knives".

Comment

celebrities weight loss hints

Weight loss surgery limits the amount of food you can take in. Some operations also restrict the amount of food you can digest. Many people who have the surgery lose weight quickly.
              dietbestplans.com

Comment

We should take manual way for weight issues rather than to adopt surgery or something like artificial ways.Now days people are't concentrate on diet and eating habits,and they eats whatever they want and when ever they want.That thing leads to weight issues.

Comment

Originally posted by delley View Post
                  We should take manual way for weight issues rather than to adopt surgery or something like artificial ways.Now days people are't concentrate on diet and eating habits,and they eats whatever they want and when ever they want.That thing leads to weight issues.
                  And exactly I wanted to say the same. Go for natural treatment that just blinding modifying the internal process of bodily functions. There are hundred of way to achieve proper weight loss, keep the surgery last in your list.
                  Life is short. Insure yourself, visit : http://www.carranza.on.ca

Comment

I don't have any experience in relation to a weight loss surgery /w MS. However, my wife did have lapband surgery. Please read as much as you can about it before you go forward with it. If you haven't already. The lapband for my wife eroded into her stomach wall after only 3 years and had to be removed. So not only did we pay for lapband surgery, we paid for lapband removal surgery. And what did she gain for all of that? A lifetime of acid reflux.

Comment

If you like to eat, a vegan diet allows you to eat LOTS. And you get used to the food, and you look and feel great. Surgery sounds like an easy fix, but I would watch a few documentaries.

Comment

I don't have any experience w weight loss surgery but I did have a full tummy tuck in September of 2011. Even though it sounds all fairies and rainbows, its MAJOR surgery. I had an arterial bleed after leaving the recovery room. I began to bleed out and had to b rushed back into the operating room for my second surgery within 6 hours.

I had no idea at the time that I had MS, but new symptoms began appearing within 48 hours. My symptoms were still minor and didn't lead to any ah-ha moments. In February of 2012, I followed up w lipo of the area. I came out of surgery w a numb tongue. That turned out to b the symptom that led to my diagnosis a few weeks later.

Although there's no way to prove that the surgeries caused the increase in symptoms, I absolutely believe that they did.

I would research/try other available methods before choosing anything elective from now on!
                        Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                        Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Its easier to just eat healthier!

I know 3 people who have had the surgery.

One lost 200 lbs and is looking great and has kept it off.

One lost 100 lbs and gained back 100lbs because they kept eating the same and stretched back out there stomach.

One lost the weight and is still slowly gaining it back

Comment

THANKS FOR THIS POST.....

Comment

Working...
                            X