Health Care Profession Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Care Profession Members

There was a thread a while ago asking about physicians that were members here and I wish I could find it. In any event not so much about the Docs but I'm really surprised there isn't more action among nurses and other health care workers. There are plenty of nurses with MS! Maybe if this section had a name change to include all health care professionals we would see more participation?

The other thing I have suspected as was mentioned in the thread I referred to up top is that the nature of this disease seems to increase the emotional reactions of people. Maybe health care workers are either too busy working or aren't in the mood to be bashed on a daily basis?

I get tired of the numerous pharm conspiracy theories, the "my doctor/nurse is incompetent" etc. that seem to have a never ending number of pile-on replies admonishing the health care profession. After I read the editor's note as a follow up to the article about Jack Osbourne in People Magazine I was embarrassed to think of the over the top correspondence they must have received insisting we aren't going to die from freaking MS.

I know all providers are NOT equal but I truly believe it is the minority that are self-serving, interested more in the money and not up to date with current evidence based practice. MS is a tough disease! Unfortunately this is science not math and there just aren't many answers or ways to help us.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

BIG PAT ON THE BACK!!!!

You have hit it on the nail
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Great idea

I was also hoping to see "health care professionals with MS" instead of just "nurses with ms"

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
        You have hit it on the nail
        techie
        Thanks.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I'm a pharmacist with MS. I currently work 40 hours a week. I am crying my eyes out now because I was just told by the animal shelter where I volunteer that I am "inactive" because I can't commit to the minimum hours per month to volunteer.

I am crying because I want to still be able to help the animals but I know I can't promise to be there at a certain time, every week.
          Diagnosed 7/11/11
          On Copaxone 7/11- 12/13
          On Tecfidera 12/13- current

Comment

Awww Leah27 as a total animal lover that breaks my heart, too.

Please don't let one place's stupid rules stop you from helping animals in whatever capacity you are able. There must be some other worthwhile animal charities that would be thankful for whatever you can offer. Sending hugs, Jules
            Anonymous

Comment

I would also like to see a healthcare worker tab....I'm a med tech in a hospital lab. I keep my MS to myself on the job. It would be nice to be able to relate to others in the same field or in healthcare.

Leah--I'm into animal rescue, too...can't believe they are cutting you off from volunteering just b/c you can't work a certain amount of hours!! Jeez...the animals still need you even if you can't come every week. So sorry they are breaking your heart like that!
              You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

Thanks Missy and Jules- It hit me hard. I'm just taking some time to step back and see how I want to proceed with animal rescue. Just like everything else, I guess I just need to learn how I can make it work in new way.

All for a healthcare group- so hard understanding how little is understood about MS
                Diagnosed 7/11/11
                On Copaxone 7/11- 12/13
                On Tecfidera 12/13- current

Comment

Almost Veterinarian

Hi, I just found this thread and I wanted to join in I'm a 3rd year veterinary medical student. My MS was under control with no attacks since I was diagnosed in 2007 until I started school in 2010, and since then I've had 2 attacks a year due to the stress of pursuing my dream job. Hopefully it calms down when I graduate. I'm in clinics right now, and I'm thankful to still have my hand coordination and strength so I can perform surgeries. My balance isn't that bad, usually only a problem when I'm tired. My school has been very accommodating, they even let me sit if I need to when I'm in surgery. I'm praying that my balance stays reasonable for my large animal rotations in the spring.

My most concerning symptoms right now are cognitive. I've been having a lot of trouble finding words, especially when I get nervous, and then worrying about speaking makes it worse. I feel like my mind is more scattered and jumbled than usual when I speak. I'm still able to pass my tests just fine, its just my ability to speak that is affected.

I've been warning my preceptors at each rotation about it and they've been very understanding. I really hope the workforce when I graduate and hopefully get into a pathology residency are just as nice and don't look down on me or think I'm stupid for it.

Originally posted by Leah27 View Post
                  Thanks Missy and Jules- It hit me hard. I'm just taking some time to step back and see how I want to proceed with animal rescue. Just like everything else, I guess I just need to learn how I can make it work in new way.
                  Leah, I'm sorry the shelter said you can't work there if you can't meet their minimum :/ Shelters aren't the only places that take volunteers, try finding a rescue. Usually they welcome any help they can get.

Comment

I am an x ray tech, med tech and endo tech. All wrapped in one! Currently working full time but getting difficult to do.

Comment

busy

Moz,

That sounds like a busy schedule. Best of luck to you.
                      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

It certainly is kelm10 (Mary). I also used to do all the medical transcribing for the docs I worked for. That would lead into one hell of a long day for me. Usually didn't finish my day until after midnight and back up again at 5:30. Was a lot of work but I also was diagnosed with MS and had no symptoms at the time. lol, oh the good ole days!

Comment

Chaplain for hospice

That applies doesn't it. Xxxx

Comment

Originally posted by frosty123 View Post
                            That applies doesn't it. Xxxx

Definitely!
                            Anonymous

Comment

Oh good

Hi everyone.

My question do you think knowing and SEEING as much as we do in the medical field that this is a good thing or bad?

I personally, as a result of life and career, have very little confidence in Drs.

My current situation is not inspiring me to feel any differently toward health care here....in America.

Not complaining just horrified that a drug recommended for my use would send me unwanted/un-needed garbage that only makes drugs more expensive.

Really, I have MS, do you really think I haven't bought a pill holder at the Dollar Store?

Rant...

Comment

Working...
                              X