where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to start?

I know they say to do a diet to fit you best but im newly diagnosed and would like a starting platform. I love dairy products and animal meat lol so thats a bad start i suppose. I have quit drinking soda and am only drinking water and gatorade as Topamax is making soda taste horrible but helping with my headache pain. I have been incorporating alot of veggies into my food but Im not a a big veggie person. Im wiling to change though for my health. anyone have any ideas? Also supplements like vitamins and such.

MandaPanda,
    There are many diet plans out there. Dr. Jelinek has one. Dr. McDougall has one. Dr. Swank is another. And there are several others. Many are vegetable (plant) based. The thing to remember is gluten free and dairy free.
    All of these doctors have published books that detail their plans. All of the other stuff, like supplements, are difficult to talk about but everyone here has suggestions. I suggest you get a blood test for your vitamin D levels. There are so many other supplements that are suggested here, I can't remember them. Good luck

Comment

We had a discussion about this recently. Have a look at this thread and the different diets.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121670

Comment

Hmm. Are you asking if there's any way around not eating the foods you like? Most of us on diets have completely changed our diets.

The thing is, that if you do it right, you might feel better than you have in years. Did you ever meet someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy? They look different, so vital - they seem to glow. That is available to you, both inside and out. I encourage you to try one of the diets (My favorite is Jelinek http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/), but you may feel more comfortable starting with Swank because he allows lean meat after 1 year and allows non-fat dairy. http://www.swankmsdiet.org/. To be honest, it seems a long time, but you can do a year standing on your head and you won't believe how great you feel.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks

No I'm just simply asking I'm willing to change a lot. I've
          Incorporated a lot of new green veggies into my diet as of recently. I've started watching my gluten intake. Eat a lot of fresh fruits. And salad. And have been keeping my
          Meats to chicken and fish only. A little beef but only when it's mixed in with other things and so far this alone has improved my health. I'm slowly switching of milk and into almnd soon.

Comment

Sounds good. I do recommend choosing one diet and sticking with it. And watch the exceptions - we cheat more than we count mentally. I don't mean that to be condescending at all. One day, you will be at a wedding or traveling and will not see food you can eat. This is when you have to be committed.

I went to Home Country Buffet with the family last night. Surely, that restaurant is not good for any diet.

I was able to find a limited selection of things, but I did eat, not compromising on my diet.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X