acetyl l and alpha lipoic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acetyl l and alpha lipoic

I read a thread in here recently that discussed effective dosaging for acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. Was it 400/1000? Im trying to shop for them but just have a head full of numbers instead of a cart full of vitamins! Help!

I think you have the numbers and words backwards.

Personally I take 2000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid every day.

Easiest to remember: longer name, higher dose, shorter name, lower dose.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have been taking 1000 acetyl-l-carnitine and 300 alpha lipoic acid for about a month and I can't say I have felt any difference in my fatigue levels. But I will not stop this part of my regimen. I will look for some other added supplements to help. Good luck

Comment

As an alternative to ALA/ALCAR...try 600mg Malic Acid + 200mg Magnesium before each meal.

Combined, the two have been clinically shown to reduce fatigue in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients at this dosage level.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          I have been taking 1000 acetyl-l-carnitine and 300 alpha lipoic acid for about a month and I can't say I have felt any difference in my fatigue levels. But I will not stop this part of my regimen. I will look for some other added supplements to help. Good luck
          Jerry, you may need to increase your dosage to the amounts used in the clinical trials, which is 2,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid. Also, I take my supplements with a Vit. B complex and also Vit. D3. (Have you had your levels checked?) I don't know if these help with the effects or not, but it doesn't hurt to try it.
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thanks guys,
            I will try the supplements at the dosages you suggested. I haven't seen any super energy changes but, at least I don't feel totally like crap, as I did in some times in the past. And I did have my vitamin D tested a few months ago, and it was 49 ng/mL. The range for normal, printed on the sheet for comparison, was 25 -80.

My doctor, the naturopath, told me that he thinks those numbers are not credible. He suggests above 50 to about 80. So, I am supplementing with 5000 iu's daily. I will redo the test soon. Thanks for being there.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think the 2000/400 was the number I saw before. I will check into Malic and Magnesium. I am starting to feel like a pill popper though

Comment

those who are taking them, how long did it take before you noticed something? And is it necessary to take alpha lipoic acid?

Comment

What timing...just had a Neuro visit yesterday. My Neuro was one of the Dr.'s at the "specialty" hospital here that did testing for studies in MS taking w/Lipoic Acid.

She told me that 1200 mg is the does she recommends to see in results as in the study. Strange thing is she reminded me that supplements have side effects too and this does cause GI probs. & it's spendy. Well from the results of their findings I'm gonna take it anyway! lol....but am giving my body some time just started taking b-12 mega does, this fatigue needs to end! lol. Someone mentioned about not helping w/fatigue. The study was shown while taking Lipoic Acid, was to actually stop progression of MS not fatiuge dealings. So not feeling anything is GOOD, it's working inside the cells : ) just fresh info from my Neuro.

As I always state tho, def do what ONLY your dr. recommends, it's very important as we are made of ind. deals in all ways. GOOD LUCK MY FELLOW SUPPLEMENT FRIENDS...LOL
                  Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

thanks for the info angel! big i - i didnt notice it was working until i stopped taking then 1 month in. now i take them everyday! 1000mg alc 600mg ala
                    Katie
                    dx rrms: 2/12
                    copaxone 3/12 - current
                    dx pcos 6/13
                    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                      those who are taking them, how long did it take before you noticed something? And is it necessary to take alpha lipoic acid?
                      BigA, I just saw your question, which hadn't been answered yet. It can take up to about a month to see results with ALA and ALC. And yes, you really need to take the ALA too. They work best as a combo, especially when also taking Vit. B12.
                      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by rainykatie View Post
                        thanks for the info angel! big i - i didnt notice it was working until i stopped taking then 1 month in. now i take them everyday! 1000mg alc 600mg ala
                        Your very welcome Katie : ) I love to share "fresh info." lol as I receive it, it sure puts me in a good state of mind!

I'm glad your taking everyday -- can't wait to start mine & I tell you those studies sounded good whoohoo. lol

We'll all have to keep it each other posted!
                        Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

While I've posted this on MSWorld already a couple times, it's worth repeating on this thread...

Everything you need to know about Alpha Lipoic Acid:

Dr. Burt Berkson Presentation on LDN and Alpha Lipoic Acid Therapy for Cancer & Autoimmune Disease

http://glasgowldn2009.com/2009/04/ld...erence-video3/

Dr. Berkson wrote "The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough" and is the world's leading authority on ALA.

I take 300mg ALA 2X daily, which is what Dr. Berkson takes too.

Comment

Question.. I take the acetyl l carnitine and alpha lipoic acid 2,000 and 400mg daily. It helps but not 100%. I have been buying it as a combination pill from iherb.com but its $25 plus shipping for 100 pill, which is only a 25 day supply. I recently bought from puritans pride, but its the seperate pills. The combination pill didnt add up to the dose i have been taking. Am I not seeing the right thing? Or is there a combo pill on puritans pride that equals 2,000 and 400mg? Also I read about Malic acid and Magnesium. What doses and what type of magnesium, there are soo many types when you look it up on puritans pride.

Comment

Or is it okay to take the supplements seperately?

Comment

Working...
                              X