Suprapubic catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprapubic catheter

I am living alone, in a w/c and having trouble with transfers. Anyone having the catheter pros/cons. Anyone who had the procedure but had it removed tell me why. Your info will be more helpful than the doctors.

Thank you in advance.

My urologist didn't recomend it for me,I self cath. I'm in a wheelchair,but can walk some,short transfers..
    I'm sad you live alone,do you have any help?
    God Bless keep us posted Nona Judy

Comment

I too am in a wheelchair & have use of only one arm. So self cathing is out for me.

I have had my supra pubic cath for 5 years. I have a nurse change it every 3 weeks. It has been a life saver for me.

I can tell you that if you take the cath out & leave it that way for 90 minutes, you will have to have surgery again to place it.

KK

Comment

Originally posted by kellygrn View Post
        I too am in a wheelchair & have use of only one arm. So self cathing is out for me.

I have had my supra pubic cath for 5 years. I have a nurse change it every 3 weeks. It has been a life saver for me.

I can tell you that if you take the cath out & leave it that way for 90 minutes, you will have to have surgery again to place it.

KK
        Do you live alone? A nurse comes to your home to change the catheter?

Comment

Yes I live alone. I have aides 36 hours a week Mon - Sun. I have a home health nurse come every three weeks. If I need PT or OT, they come to my home also.

Being house bound has a few perks. LOL!!!

KK

Comment

Originally posted by kellygrn View Post
            Yes I live alone. I have aides 36 hours a week Mon - Sun. I have a home health nurse come every three weeks. If I need PT or OT, they come to my home also.

Being house bound has a few perks. LOL!!!

KK
            Wow!! I have an aide only 9 hrs (thats all I can afford). I heard Medicare will cover aides if a nurse has to come to your home.

Do you wear long pants all the time?

It is so nice having someone to talk to about this.

Comment

I don't get Medicare yet. Got 4 more years. The state of Texas pays for the max amount of time for my aides. They do everything for me. Tomorrow I have a PCP doc appt. The aide is going to met me at his office. It is 2 blocks from my house. I will go in my wheelchair & she will drive her car there.

Slacks are a pain to take on & off. I wear "flowing dresses. LOL!!! Very comfortable & easy to transfer from bed to chair.

KK

Comment

intermittent self cath would have been my urologists preference for me but mobility issues makes that impractical. I put off the whole idea of permanent catheter for as long as i could as i really did not like the idea but to be honest, it has been far better than pads and accidents etc. apart from anything else, i have had less UTIs since the catheter

if you were given an option of self cathing, that is worth a go, its not as hard as you might think, i have tought women in the past and would have preferred this option but i am completely wheelchair dependant and have poor manual dexterity and mobility so it is not practical.

I have a visiting continence nurse and use a long term silicone catheter that gets changed every 6 weeks. As mentioned before, i find loose fitting pants work well for me but "flowing" skirts would be ok, i just have not been a skirt person for a long time!

Comment

Working...
                X