Vitamin D supplementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D supplementation

My doctor advised me to take 2000 IUs of vitamin D3 per day, which I have been taking as 1000 IUs twice a day.
    Had labs done last week and my Vit. D level is at 50. Still a little low, he said, and wants me to double it, which would now be 2000 IUs twice a day.
    My question is, can the body absorb this much vitamin D? How much are people taking at a time?
    Thanks!

I take about 10,000iu daily and so far my head hasn't exploded. I space it out over the day.

You should ask your neuro why he/she thinks vitamin D/sunshine is helpful in managing MS.

Multiple sclerosis: decreased relapse rate through dietary supplementation with calcium, magnesium and vitamin D.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3537648

Abstract

A group of young patients having multiple sclerosis was treated with dietary supplements containing calcium, magnesium and vitamin D for a period of one to two years. The experimental design employed self-pairing: the response of each patient was compared with his/her own case history as control. The number of exacerbations observed during the program was less than one half the number expected from case histories. No side effects were apparent. The dietary regimen may offer a new means of controlling the exacerbation rate in MS, at least for younger patients. The results tend to support a theory of MS which states that calcium and magnesium are important in the development, structure and stability of myelin.

The type of Calcium you want to take is "Calcium 2AEP" and for Magnesium, "Magnesium Orotate"

Google: calcium 2aep multiple sclerosis dr. nieper" for more info.

Comment

There are people here taking 10,000IU/day to keep their levels up.

I take 3000IU, and my last labs came back at 66 ng/mL, so now I am taking 4000IU because we want them a smidge higher. We're all different, so having your levels monitored by your health care professional helps us all customize our dose. That being said, 4000 sounds totally normal around here.

Comment

I take 5000 iu's vitamin D daily. sometimes I take 10,000 daily. If your levels tested 50 ng/mL, that's pretty good. I have been around 49 for a while. I expect to test again this month, when I see my doctor. You can take a heck of a lot of vitamin D. Look up vitamin D side effects on the web.

Comment

My Neuro says...

With 4,000 iu I am at 5. He says he want me at at least 7.5 even though 5 is normal. He says he wants a "spare tire" in the trunk for flluctuations. So now I am at 6,000 iu. Just had a blood level drawn but don't have the results yet. They usually call on Monday after I have the blood drawn so I should know tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments. They were helpful for me.

Dave, Tampa, Florida
          "Journeyman"
          Weather: 98 deg. and 43% hum.
          Status: four years since dx, five months into what is usually a six month remission.
          I am a MS. ret. Psych RN and despite all I know I still get fearful and anxious of my relapses. My loving wife is my caretaker and weather vane. She usually spots my symptomatic storms before I do. (She is telling me that she is having to repeat things or say it differently. She said I am getting more confused. Her name is Debbie and this morning I could not remember how to spell her name. I noticed that I had trouble driving and focusing because of the fog moving in. Guess I should get my garden in before I can not.)

Comment

I also take over 10,000 IU daily (not counting the amount I get in my multi-vitamin and my calcium supplement.) My level used to be 26 several years ago, and my doctor prescribed a 50,000 IU pill to take once a week. At the last check in January, it was 36. I'm going to have it checked again this coming Friday and see if the dosage I'm taking is helping. I'm also outside a lot more this summer in my swimming pool, so maybe that helps too.
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

journeyman,
              I wonder what scale gives you a level of 5 for vitamin D. If you look anywhere on the web, the recommended levels for vitamin D are between 50ng/mL to 80 ng/mL.

Comment

how often?

Thanks everyone.

But how often do you take your Vit. D? All at once? Or split it up during the day -- some in the morning, some at night? -- this is what my doc said to do. Can our bodies only absorb a certain amount of Vit. D supplements at a time???

Comment

I take my 10,000 IU Vitamin D gelcap (which is the form best absorbed by the body) once a day, usually at night with my calcium supplement. I'm sure you could split up the dosage though. (I actually split my calcium and also my multi-vitamin pills into two doses - morning and night.)
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I take 10k per day in the evening. It's nothing really. Since it's fat soluable, I don't think it matters if we take it all at once or split it.

You shouldn't need to supplement calcium when taking large amounts of vitaminD. http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...ith+vitamin+D/

Comment

Vitamin D and Vitamin D3 What is the difference? Am I Taking Enough?

Maybe it is because MS is so new to me but my Dr has never mentioned Vitamin D. I take a multi vitamin that is 800 IU and Caltrate which is Vitamin D3 400 IU. What is is the difference between Vit D and D3?

Comment

You're taking what would have been considered a giant dose 10 years ago, but now is considered small, especially for a person with MS. You should ask your Neurologist about VitaminD, but here is a sheet from an MS clinic that explains it.

http://www.swedish.org/Services/Neur...#axzz1vcyaUqPZ

Comment

Benefits of Vitamin D

Vitamin D for humans is obtained from sun exposure, food and supplements. Studies have shown that people with high levels of vitamin D in their blood have lower rates of diseases and a lower death rate.

Comment

As your are reading all these posts, much like everything with MS each individual is different. My Vit D was very low at 20. My primary put me on 50,000 ui (weekly -Rx). She told me this usually nips it...Re-checking blood in Oct...we shall see : )
                            Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

i used to work in a pharmacy and some people had RXs for 50,000 mg (yes, 50,000!) that they took 1 tab once a month. my RPH friend told me that the body is really good at holding onto vitamin d.
                              Katie
                              dx rrms: 2/12
                              copaxone 3/12 - current
                              dx pcos 6/13
                              gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Working...
                              X