Vitamin D supplementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainykatie View Post
    i used to work in a pharmacy and some people had RXs for 50,000 mg (yes, 50,000!) that they took 1 tab once a month. my RPH friend told me that the body is really good at holding onto vitamin d.

50,000IU is not a heavy dose as it is generally taken 1x weekly, which is about 7000IU per day. In general, you should take 5-10k depending on existing levels. It's worth being tested and if your levels are low (30 and below) to get them up quickly.

Comment

I also take 50,000IU (prescription) weekly - at last check my level was only 23. We're hoping that this prescription will help bolster my levels - my neuro wants me at a min. of 80!
      Julie
      DX 11/9/11
      Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

50,000 isn't that high and it's D2, which is the prescription version and oddly less powerful than the one you can buy in the vitamin shop.

Take a look here. The reccomendatio is to take a one-time dose of 600,000IU. YOu can show to your doctor:
        http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...and-Vitamin-D/

Comment

rainykatie,
          That's nice that somebody 'says' that the human body is capable of retaining vitamin D, but without blood tests those words are meaningless.
          I was tested at under 30 ng/mL, then I started supplementing with 5000 iu's daily. Then I was tested again. My numbers came up to 49 ng/mL.
          I had an appointment with my cardiologist and she said that she thought that the 5000iu dose was 'to high' even though the blood levels had improved.
          I asked her to test my blood level again. That was yesterday. I will have the results tomorrow, because the results will be posted on the medical centers web site.
          Then we'll see if 5000 iu's is 'too high' a dose.
          So my point is, test and adjust and test again. That's the scientific procedure. If it is going in the correct direction, then something's going right !

Comment

My blood levels went from 26 a couple of years ago to 36 back in January to 63 when I had it checked on July 27. This is from taking 10,000 IU a night (five nights a week) and being outside in my pool every chance I get. And I feel worlds better! My symptoms are fewer, milder, and further between.
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

My Vitamin D was 13 at the time of my diagnosis. I've been taking 10k/day ever since. I was up to 86, 6 months ago. I will get tested in December and adjust accordingly.

Comment

i am only taking 5,000 a day

Comment

sofiec,
                  5000iu's daily is nothing to sneeze at. The thing to remember is you must get the blood tested for vitamin D (and B-12) . You should also check calcium levels. Then you know whether you need to supplement. Without adequate testing, you are shooting in the dark. Find out your levels and adjust accordingly. I take 5000iu's daily and that seems to work for me. Good luck

Comment

Agreed--3000 IU/day keeps my levels in the high 60s (ng/mL). Some people need less, others more. Blood tests are the way to go.

Comment

That's really interesting. I've seen the question postulated whether having low Vitamin D helps you get MS but also having MS gives you low vitamin D. Who knows?

With 10,000 per day, *I* don't go up by much. Is it size and weight? That must certainly play a role, since it's stored in fat.

In any case, we should get tested - I do so 2x per year.

Comment

Working...
                      X