Systemic Enzymes Supplement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Systemic Enzymes Supplement

I posted this a few months ago, but thought I'd post again and see if maybe Tara had any knowledge about this.

I've read online about this supplement having anti-inflammatory properties and being an immune system modulator (although I haven't been able to find any professional websites about it). I've also seen quite a few different types and brands out there.

Has anyone heard of or used this before?

Kim

I've used it for years. The product that I use is from Dr. Wong's Essentials, and is called Zymessence. I got started on it, years ago, after my sister told me about it. She is diabetic and an alternative doctor started her on it for fybroids(?) in her hands, related to her diabetes.

I don't know, Kimmy, how to evaluate whether it helps or not. I do know that I am much healthier in a lot of ways, the past two years, than I have been since I first got MS, 10 years ago.

But, I attribute that to many changes:
    - changes in diet and supplements
    - change in med (Copaxone seems much more effective for me than Betaseron was)
    - a significant weight loss (185 lbs to 118 lbs)

I've read good things about enzymes, in general, Kimmy. And how they are good for us and we can't overdose on them. I also take a gluten digestive enzyme when I choose to eat gluten. They help my gluten symptoms a LOT (no diarrhea if I take one). I think that systemic and digestive enzymes work differently in the body. I also take systemic enzymes for the anti-inflammatory benefit.

I'd be interested, though, too, in hearing what Tara has to say about enzymes.
    - Are enzyme supplements useful for those of us with MS?
    - Are they useful for health, in general?
    - Does our body produce enough natural enzymes on its own?
    - What else should we know about enzymes that is important?

Thanks, in advance, Tara.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Enzymes in our body

I'd be interested, though, too, in hearing what Tara has to say about enzymes.
      - Are enzyme supplements useful for those of us with MS?
      - Are they useful for health, in general?
      - Does our body produce enough natural enzymes on its own?
      - What else should we know about enzymes that is important?

Heres what enzymes do for us.

Enzymes are required for reactions to occur:
      Example: to go from A to B requires an enzyme.
      "Co-Enzymes" -we've all heard of those.

We make more when we're younger, and make them faster.

As we age we make less. So when a reaction is occurring in the body - are they enough enzymes to "help" the reaction/ complete the reaction....when this slows down or doesn't complete, free radicals occur, DNA chain breaks may occur, aging, etc...

There are several things I could discuss on enzymes, but I'll limit it to what I think is your basic question: digestive enzymes.

We need enzymes to digest our food.
      Some foods supply enzymes for digestion and some foods require us to supply enzymes to digest that food.

Vegetables (raw foods) don't really require enzymes to be digested.
      Cooked foods require us to "give up" our enzymes to be digested.

My #1 rule is a "live" food at every meal! Help digestion!

So, clinically, bottom line - the older my patient the more digestive enzymes I give them: 3 basic types: HCL - protein digestion, my most widely used, there are Carby type enzymes, and Bile Salts- Imperative! - for the unfortunate individuals whom have had the gallbladder removed.

When I eat out I always take an HCL....a little extra protection if someone didn't wash their hands.....yukk

Yes, take some enzymes, it will only help.
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

thanks Tara
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Systemic Enzymes?

Hi Tara,

do you have any information on systemic enzymes, that are taken on empty stomach? I've been taking Serrapeptase for quite a while now and it seems to help with my ON...

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X