Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a Grip!

Hi Susan,

Thank you for all your support here at MSW! I have lost a lot of dexterity in my left hand and fingers. I carry my cane in my right hand (right hand is much stronger & I am right handed). I have found it difficult to carry anything in my left hand. (just about anything that has weight to it....coffee mug, drinking glasses, plates, etc - you name it!) I use a rollator when I'm outside the home, and this helps in transporting large heavy items.

Most times I have asked for help in carrying things when someone is around to help me. Problem is there are many times when no one is around! If the item has a strap or some sort of carrying device, I'll sling it over my shoulder or forearm.

Can you or anyone suggest how I can navigate through this and give me suggestions?

Thanks!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I am sure you will get some good ideas here. I am struggling through many of the same problems, so I will be checking back here to read them.

Comment

Hi Seasha
      Have you talked to your doctor about this? It sounds like you would benefit from OT. Not only would the therapist provide suggestions, they would be specific based on your needs obtained from evaluation.

Here's a few suggestions:
      Use paper/plastic mugs/cups - helps for either hand
      Hold objects with larger grips and textured if possible
      Carry bags (as long as they don't interfere with your balance) that you can drape your left arm
      Backpacks

There are numerous hand exercises for both dexterity and strength. Some have already been listed in previous posts. If you don't have the opportunity to go to OT or find what you need on previous posts, I would be happy to list more for you.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Thank you,Susan! I saw a PT a few years back for other reasons, and I recall him giving me some therapy putty when I mentioned my gripping problem. Now to find where I put it! I will also look here in your forum for other tips and exercises that you've mentioned before. Thanks for your suggestions
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X