Side preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side preference

Hi, I'm sure this has probably been addressed, but I could not find where...

The situation is that both my right foot and right hand are affected much more than my left side. I am right handed, so this was real annoying, but I just got used to it. When I started using a cane to help me walk I used my left hand (since I am pretty much left handed now in all but writing). I feel that everything I do left handed now is just propagating the whole issue.

My question is whether it would be alright, or advisable, or even wise, to start using the cane with my right hand. My knees will probably not like me too much for a bit (from initially tripping), but how much of cane use is actual dexterity with that side, or simply habit? Can I do something as simple as changing the hand I use my cane with in order to help my right side a bit?

left handed

My left side is more affected and is weaker. I had a bunion that we tried to fix on my right (strong side) and the toe sticks up.
    I have found if I use my walking stick on the right side, I don't drag my left foot as much.
    I drag both feet if I am tired or too hot.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Accoring to my PT the cane should be used in the hand opposite your bad side so you should use yours in your left hand for more balance and control.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
        Accoring to my PT the cane should be used in the hand opposite your bad side so you should use yours in your left hand for more balance and control.
        bleh, kinda figured that it was something like that. Thanks

Alright, so I am getting the impression that switching cane hands would be a poor idea... what else though can I do to help boost the strength and/or ability in my weak side?

When I work out, I make sure to do the same weight/reps with each side (arms, legs, whatever) because I don't want half of me to be Popeye and the other half to just wither away. Generally though, this means that I have to do less just to be sure that both sides can handle it. Even things around the house, I just try and use my weaker side when I can, but I don't really feel that is enough

So, what do the rest of you do? I wanna steal your ideas since I am feeling quite stuck and rather unoriginal with this whole thing...

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town

There is no 'rule' per say which hand/side the cane should be, in fact, it is my right leg that is affected and I use the cane with my right hand! I have since the time I needed it over 12 years ago.
          It felt more natural for me and I was able to get a better swing phase which made my walking and balance better.

There are several different types of canes available and other walking devices as well. A simple change in the handle can make a significant difference.
          I would get a PT order, have a therapist assess your abilities and needs and do an assessment and training for assistive walking devices. Therapists can vary in both education and practice and it's always a good idea to shop around when the need presents itself

In addition, therapy will be able to work on strengthening, conditioning, balance, range of motion and much more. It's always good to look at the whole picture
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

Thanks for the info Susan -- I will look into all of that as soon as I can! (Really, I can't at the moment, not a lazy or procrastination thing)

Comment

You're welcome. Take things slowly and be sure to ask questions based on your individual needs.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X