Offended by People Magazine cover!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offended by People Magazine cover!!!

I'm sure many of you have seen the recent cover of People where Sharon Osbourne is hugging her son and the caption says, "I won't let my son die!" That made me so mad!!! My mom says they will eventually face repercussions for making such an untrue statement because it offended so many people and I agree. I feel as though a popular tabloid took advantage of a celebrity's health for publicity and dramatics. What do you guys think?

search on Jack Osborne ... there are a couple of threads already on the board dealing with your question.

Comment

It was ridiculous - I saw it at the pharmacy the other day and I said "Really?! REALLY?!"
      Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
      UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

that cover also made me angry!

first off, shes making it sound like theres a huge risk of dieing from ms. there is some risk, but a low low percent of people actually DIE from ms.

second, how is she "not going to let my son die"?! really sharon? are you in control of his body and everything that happens to it?

and third, why is sharons quote on the cover? this is about jack, not her. what a attention *****.

Comment

My reaction was almost somewhat ammused?! Surely you've researched MS and know how ridiculous you sound Sharon! And I'm saying that as a fan!

Comment

hey, I didn't read the article or anything, but a few things

1, does it even mention MS on the cover? If not, then it is a really poor choice of words by the editors I think

2, what mother actually wants her son to die? So slightly (very) misleading, but not all together untrue

3, how long has it been since he was diagnosed? Again, didn't read the article. However, I assume that it is a relatively small amount of time that he has been allowed to grieve... I mean, it took me over 5 years to be alright with MS...

4, MS can be fatal in extremely rare cases (according to my understanding), so again going back to the editors -- extremely misleading though not all together untrue...

All of this being said, I am a little upset at the editors for doing something like that, but it has had the effect of raising MS awareness, has it not? All-in-all, it is basically like being upset at the President for saying misleading things while campaigning for office, but good thing that last one doesn't happen

Comment

That cover scared the you know what out of my 20 year old daughter. It IS misleading in a way and almost completely negated everything I've told her about MS, especially that you don't die from it in most cases. As a previous poster pointed out, what mom would let her son die? They didn't put much thought into their cover's headline IMHO.
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

! H E A D L I I N E S !

Are made to;

-1- Grab attention

-2- $ell the product (mags.)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

When I saw that cover I almost wanted to announce "Oh dear. I must've missed the memo about dying from MS" and then collapse at the pharmacy for irony's sake. Because I am so mature
                  Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                  UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
                    When I saw that cover I almost wanted to announce "Oh dear. I must've missed the memo about dying from MS" and then collapse at the pharmacy for irony's sake. Because I am so mature
                    HAHA! Love it...

Comment

Originally posted by Dancer416 View Post
                      I'm sure many of you have seen the recent cover of People where Sharon Osbourne is hugging her son and the caption says, "I won't let my son die!" That made me so mad!!! My mom says they will eventually face repercussions for making such an untrue statement because it offended so many people and I agree. I feel as though a popular tabloid took advantage of a celebrity's health for publicity and dramatics. What do you guys think?
                      I agree. I'm not going to die from MS. It may alter how I live a little, but its not going to kill me. I was incredibly offended by this for sure!

Comment

All the neuros that I've talked to or have spoken at the MS events say one doesn't die from MS.
                        But my "boyfriend" saw that magazine and now says he can't deal with me having MS because I'm going to die.

Comment

Working...
                        X