Ativan and Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ativan and Baclofen

Do anyone know if you can take Ativan and Baclofen. I think my Neuro told me I could. Has anyone taken or currently take both?

Of course I would not take them both at the same time... would spread them out a couple of hours apart. My muscles are very tight and I am trying hard to loosen them up.

I thought about increasing my ativan to a whole instead of taking 1/2 once a day or 1/2 2x a day. My Neuro prescribed whole once a day so I would not go beyond what he prescribed He also prescribe Baclofen 10mg 2x a day.

Tried Baclofen several months ago on and off.. nothing long term. I hate to start taking it - I would have to be on two types of meds that I have to wean off on.. I know, I know, a few people take much more meds everyday.

Here is my plan of action.. Take whole Ativan in the morning and 1/2 Baclofen in the evening.. don't want to take Baclofen at night.. had a not so good experience taking it close to bedtime... however I took 1/2 2x that particular day. So I need to stick with taking 1/2.

I had started allergy shots and I do believe they made my muscles even more tighter.. I checked with my ENT dr office and the nurse said, yes that was common. Of course I stopped the shots...they really did a number on my already tight muscles.. can barely get around. I hope the Ativan and Baclofen help.

Hope I get responses... thanks to all that take the time to read and respond.

Ms. Jay

I don't take both of them but you can check for interactions at,http//reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Please let us know what you find out.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I take both but I use the Ativan on a as needed basis when I am having more spasms as mine have been hard to get under control as I also take zanaflex on a regular basis too

Comment

I take both, but at low doses (1/2 tab of baclofen 3x /day; 1/2 tab of ativan at bedtime). My neuro has indicated that I can double the dose if I need to, but I'm okay with less than that.

Neuro never indicated that there's a problem with taking both; neither did my pharmacist, except to say that both cause drowsiness and I may end up pretty out of it depending on how much I take.

Comment

I take a benzo (Ativan is in the benzo family) and Baclofen togther.

I take baclofen with clonazepam 3 times a day (and I have a baclofen pump) but it just handles lower body spasticity...does nothing for my face/neck/shoulder spasticity, thus the oral.

I also have a Rx for .5 ativan for break through spasms...when nothing else is working, and I have to be able to talk (my spasticity involves my speech and facial muscles) I resort to that in order to be understood.

So I don't think there's an interaction problem at all.

Why are you wary of it...you're dealing with low doses of Baclofen and a low dose of Ativan? If you have to wean off of them, then you just do it...I've weaned off Baclofen before, and then had to add it again, the weaning produced no withdrawal. And I've gone days without my Clonazepam due to them messing up my Rx when I was hospitalized, and no withdrawal from that either. I know not everybody's the same. But if you have spasticity, it makes life so much more bearable if you have meds to deal with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. Ok.. tomorrow I will experiment and take maybe 1/2 baclofen in morning and 1/2 Ativan in evening and if need be 1/2 ativan at night.

rdmc... I am just a chicken when it comes to meds. I use to be scared to take a tylenol after taking ativan.. which the pharmacist told me several times there is no interaction.

My body truly needs to loosen up. I can feel it tightened up at times.. ITS AWFUL. I do believe those @#&^ allergy shots did a number on me. Body was already tight, now even tighter.

When I take Baclofen and Ativan I HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND MY MUSCLES ARE VERY TIGHT AND I MAY FEEL JUST A WEE BIT OVER TIRED AND RELAXED AND MY BODY MAY GO THROUGH STRANGE CHANGES AS IT BEGIN TO RELAX.

I say that.. but I am sure it may freak me out.. but I will try hard to GO WITH THE FLOW.

Thanks again guys - your post really helps.

Ms. Jay

Comment

UPDATE :0)

Yesterday I took whole .5mg ativan in the morning and 1/2 10mg Baclofen about 3 hours later and the other half Baclofen about 4 hours later...did ok. No crazy symptoms.. I think it relaxed me a wee bit.

Did not make me too sleepy either. I just hate that I may have to give up my less than 1/2 glass of red wine every now and then. I know I am pushing it but does anyone have a small glass of alcohol while on Antivan/Baclofen?? Then again... if the A & B helps.. may not even want or need the occasional less than half glass of wine.

Jay

Comment

I take 90mg Baclofen daily with 34mg Tizanidinedaily. WIth breakthrough spasms I take 1mg Ativan. On infusion IVIG day, I take two 1mg Ativan spaced 5 hours apart along with the rest of the regimen.

I love the ATivan, just dont want to get habituated to it.

Comment

Working...
                X