PD or MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PD or MS?

Unfortunately, here I am, but where am I. MY neurologist sent me for evaluation for Parkinson's Disease and MS, and he sent me for vestibular therapy for my balance problem. Therapy was not helpful because it relies alot on vision and I am blind in my right eye and have lost some vision in my left eye.

I fall (which I joke about to help deal with it), I stutter some and slur occasionally, I have neck stiffness, my arms really don't swing when I walk, I get tremors (not essential tremors), have memory and cognitive problems, and time slips away from me- I think something happened days or weeks ago when it happened in the last 24-36 hours. I have been on roads I travel regularly yet don't know what road I am on, and my judge of distance when traveling is way off. About 2 months ago (I think) I noticed my right foot turning down and toward the inside, and last month I started having problems with my hands- stiff, swollen, tingling. I had a minor stroke last August, and my hand strength is greatly weakened. I sometimes have problems swallowing- my timing is of and it's like I am just learning how to do it. I was supposed to go for a neuropsychological exam for my speech and cognitive issues, but neuropsychologists are few and far between, plus insurance doesn't cover it. I went to a orthopedist who specializes in hands, had x-rays done, and there is no structural damage, no signs of arthritis, and the doctor ruled out carpal tunnel. If I am like this at 49, what will I be like at 55? This really stinks, I wish there was an answer.

MRI

So sorry that you are dealing with all of this. Has your doctor mentioned having a MRI of brain and cervical spine? That would show any MS related lesions. Please bring that up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by moz205 View Post
      So sorry that you are dealing with all of this. Has your doctor mentioned having a MRI of brain and cervical spine? That would show any MS related lesions. Please bring that up to them.
      The MRIs & MRAs of my brain and carothid artery showed nothing wrong, and the doctor said there are so many paths and that these tests can't detect everything. He hasn't mentioned looking at my spine, I think he is just starting with treating the symptoms and sent me for vestibuar therapy which didn't help my balance because I have problems with my vision.

Comment

I am sorry that you are looking for answers. Just know that you are not alone as you look for answers.

I hope you get to feeling better and you get answers soon. Also keep on posting so we know how are you doing. There is the island post that you can post on to and talk to others that are looking for answers.

lots of (((hugs)))

Comment

Originally posted by minivanmama View Post
          I am sorry that you are looking for answers. Just know that you are not alone as you look for answers.

I hope you get to feeling better and you get answers soon. Also keep on posting so we know how are you doing. There is the island post that you can post on to and talk to others that are looking for answers.

lots of (((hugs)))
          Thank you. I know that I am not alone, I have been blessed with a wonderful wife and 3 bright, generous, and compassionate children. I also know that I am not alone here, although I wish I was, because maybe that would mean that this is a much rarer disease and all you folks would not be suffering.

Comment

Hi ctwith3:
            Only your doctors can tell you whether you have PD, MS, both or neither. One of the clues might lie in why you're blind in your right eye and have lost some vision in your left eye. That's not unheard of in MS, but isn't typical in PD. And if the vision loss is due to something else, it doesn't offer any clues.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
              Hi ctwith3:
              Only your doctors can tell you whether you have PD, MS, both or neither. One of the clues might lie in why you're blind in your right eye and have lost some vision in your left eye. That's not unheard of in MS, but isn't typical in PD. And if the vision loss is due to something else, it doesn't offer any clues.
              Actually, the blindness in my right eye is from birth trauma- I have a huge macular scar since birth. I have had Glaucoma for years, it has just progressed to this point; Ghalcoma runs in my family, I have an uncle who is blind from Glaucoma.
              Thanks for replying.

Comment

Working...
              X