Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having real problems for first time

Hi, everyone,

I am new here. I was diagnosed with ms in december of 2011. So, it's been about 6 months. I was put on avonex which has been fine for me. Aside from general achiness after the shot. However, i woke up yesterday in the worst pain. It felt like someone was rubbing a match up and down my legs. Or like an internal sunburn. And i felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Went to the doctor. He gave me lyrica for the pain (an i.v.). I do feel better this morning, except for my shins/calf area.

But, when i woke up this morning, i didn't make it to the bathroom. I had an accident on my way there, and couldn't make it stop. So embarrassed. I called the doctor.

So, on friday i am now going for a spinal tap and a test that they have to catheterize me for and see how my bladder reacts to being filled with water or something.

I hope i'm explaining this right, because i am scared. I don't understand how i was fine sunday night when i went to bed, and now i'm like this. I just started a new job as a nurse's assistant, and i can't go back to work right now. I feel lazy just sitting here.

Also, the doctor keeps telling me i need to alleviate stress. I have a stressful relationship with my boyfriend right now, and now this with my new job. How am i supposed to calm down?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the boards, and sorry for the reason that you are here.

The one "consistent" thing about MS is how unpredictable it is. And how you can be fine one minute and the next you aren't.

This happened to me last year with a bad flare where one night before bed suddenly my balance felt "off"; I thought I was walking funny, and then the next day I also noticed that I had a hard time writing. Turns out it was a flare from right-side muscle weakness. No warning -- it just happened. I had to learn to use a cane, and couldn't write or sign my name for almost two weeks.

Keep in mind that the Avonex should help prevent flares - but it doesn't mean that it will completely stop them. None of the DMDs will.

I've had lots of bladder and kidney stone issues so I've been through a bunch of the testing. I'm glad that I did because I ended up diagnosed with something unrelated to MS and now I now how to treat it.

The calm thing is different for every person. Find something you like to do and MAKE the time to enjoy it - whether it is watching a movie, reading a book, doing a puzzle, taking a walk, etc.

Be sure to get plenty of rest - ask for a sleeping pill or anti-anxiety med to help fall asleep / stay asleep if necessary. Getting plenty of rest is important to your health. Perhaps an anti-anxiety med (even low dose) during the day to take the edge off ?

Good luck and I hope the stress ends soon.

Comment

Working...
    X