Clear All

Phase I Myelin Repair Clinical Trial

This was just announced:

The Myelin Repair Foundation (MRF) today
    announced the achievement of a myelin repair Phase
    1 clinical trial for multiple sclerosis . . . This clinical
    trial conducted at Cleveland Clinic will examine
    the efficacy of a new myelin repair therapeutic
    pathway with mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs).
    Here is the link to the PDF:

http://www.myelinrepair.org/document...ease_Final.pdf

I'm sure it's all years and years away, but the "hope factor" is certainly welcome.
    Started Tysabri October 2006

Thank you for sharing
    Linda

Comment

I went to that site and it said it was moved. I was on it last night and didn't have any trouble with it.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hunterd: I'm still able to acces the press release. If not, the home page is:

http://www.myelinrepair.org

And you can probably find it again from there.
        Started Tysabri October 2006

Comment

Hey, I went to the Cleveland Clinic's site and found the same info. My question is : what is repairing the myelin going to do? Are they looking for this repair mechanism to rectify the deficiencies that are common in MS? I know that this is years from happening but the study must have a set goal. I can understand that the myelin is damaged in MS sufferers. But what will keep the system from attacking the myelin repeatedly ? Seems that repairing the myelin is step 1 in a more complex solution, and I am glad for it.

Comment

I as dx over 25 years ago and it was in phase I. interesting. Seems like a lot of promising experimental treatments are always phase I and years ago.
            Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Wondering why this is still in Phase 1?

I looked up the organization and found it not highly rated. The CEO makes almost 5% of the expenses with a $250k salary, which just makes me cringe. Maybe that contributes to it still being in phase 1 for 20 years? I found it through charitynavigator dot org
              Dx April 15, 2004: Multiple Sclerosis with Transverse Myelitis. First symptom: 1993

Comment

Since the Myelin Repair Foundation was started in 2002, their clinical trial could not have been in existence 20 years ago.

There are many clinical trials that have come and gone with disappointing results.

Comment

If they can come up with some kind of synthetic myelin it would be the closest thing to an ms cure.Just think of it.You pump tons of synth myelin into your system that it cancels the damage that is being done to you by ms.Myelin on steroids can be a beautiful thing.
                  Without hope there's nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X