Clothes :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothes :-(

Trying to pull my pants up- pant and underwear roll together, t-shirt rolls into them, add to that no balance to begin with and I'm hot and sweaty. Arrrggg!!!!!!!!! And yet, I can do nothing but laugh. Screwy disease. No one ever really knows.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Your post made me laugh - lol and I hear ya! Today I was shopping in a small, but busy consignment store and trying on tops. I pulled one over my head and then it got stuck - I mean really stuck - right below my collar bone, if you catch my drift.

I then realized there was a zipper on the side, so I'm trying to unzip the thing halfway on and halfway off and my hands and finger absolutely don't do zippers well. I started to sweat wondering if I needed to call someone in to help. (the dressing room opens up right in the public area and there's no way I;m going to expose myself. )

I was talking to myself and then started cracking up/laughing out loud. I finally got the stupid thing off but was embarrassed to leave the room. Thought people had been listening to me talk and laugh by myself!

Geez.... gimme me a break!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Glad you laughed. Your post made me laugh too. I don't shop for clothes.

I don't have the energy, so be glad you still can. I buy mostly pajama bottoms and loose t-shirts online and hope they'll fit.
      Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

Comment

I can understand the clothes thing. I was looking for a sports bra which is interesting when you are a "big" girl. So I am in one of those dressing rooms with wheels in the middle of the store trying to get this thing on. I realize that despite the size and holding it up to me , it is not going to fit correctly. SO I attempt to take it off. I couldn't get it to move. The harder I worked, the more I sweated. The more I sweated, the harder it was to move. I was afraid I was going to have to open the door-half dressed-and get someone to get me out of it. Finally I bent over enough that I could tug it gradually over my head.

If you ever need a sports bra, let me know and I will tell you the name of this one NOT to get!

lydialou

Comment

I forgot to write about standing on the pants cuffs. I couldn't feel that I was standing on them, and I can't stand on my tip-toes very well with my balance :-).

I'm well-endowed too, Lydia. I tried a sports bra years ago. It wasn't pretty. Has anyone tried that "Geniebra" that's been advertised on TV?

Comment

Sports bra

My cousin was just talking to me about that today. She said the best sports bra is Enell, the one Oprah raves about. She said they are a bit pricey at the store and even on eBay, you can find them 1/2 price for $40, but they lift, separate and also help posture. If you can still work out (I can't enough to constitute a heavy duty sports bra), you can jog with no bounce. She is a bigger girl too and very well endowed.
            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Also have trouble with bras. Decided to wear them only when I have to. Trying to get a sports bra over my head with only one arm working soso and fingers only working half the time.
              My DD and a friend went to the store to by me some peddle pushers. Her friend found a couple of pairs,thinking just right for me. My DD looked at them and started laughing. The waist had 3 buttons. My DD told her friend that I would be wetting my pants before I could get them unbuttoned. Nice DD huh?
              SgrammieD

Comment

For the well-endowed ladies looking for a sports bra - Lane Bryant carries sports bras and I love them. You might have to order them or shop online, but they're great.

Comment

I LOVE the genie bras. Bought some at Rite Aid and they are really comfy and they do not push your boobs in like a sports bra.

I did wear it insde out one day, but still was great....I am not a small girl on top, 38D, and I like them....Inespensive

If you canget to a store, you do not have to apy shipping

I also like pajama jeans. Anything for comfort....

JudySz

Comment

Ive always been a little claustrophobic and start to flail and freak out when I get my arms "stuck" in shirts when trying to put them on or off. Fast forward to the onset of MS symptoms and this means I now freak out but cant feel crap to get the thing off! It makes for some amusing dressing experiences.

Comment

Sooooo glad I saw this thread. Right now, I can't stand wearing bras of any kind so far. The neuritis induced skin pain I get is in my mid back - right about the bra line. And when I get the pain down my arm, well, hubby has to take my shirt off. I just sit on the bed and wait....you know, I would love for him to undress me for the purposes of sex, but just for me to go to bed is aggravating!
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

i have had the fights with clothing too, now that i am completely wheelchair dependant and only have the one leg and it is affected by MS, my abilitly to stand and balance is really limited to say the least! to get pants on the choice is do it lying down, wriggling from side to side- it works but it is a slow process that takes a good deal of energy- my other option is stand on my one leg and work as quick as i can!! this is the one i use but it only works these days if i stick to loose fitting clothes, elasticated waist lines etc.

i have gone back to doing some of my own sewing as it allows me to adapt clothing to my needs to some degree, eg more length from the hips to the waist in pants so that long periods of sitting is more comfy

bras are an issue, i cannot reach around to do them up at the back and the old thing of doing them up at the front and sliding them round just does not work unless you do them up real loose_ I am a very well endowed lady, quite overweight and actually send for mail order bras to an american firm that deals with large sizes- they are cheaper than what i can find locally and they are front opening designs. i have looked at the genie bras and that type but they are not large enough. we do not have many front opening designs here other than maternity ones and i actually went to a store where they had a proper bra fitter to ask for advice.

She told me that she had been recommeding standard bra designs but non wired ones, and then referring the customer to someone to basically undo the centre seam and add a front opening. I have never tried sewing lingerie but i have a couple of old bras that i intend to have a go on. If i buy front opening bras here in australia, they are still mail order and cost a minimum of $95 for a fairly basic bra- altering a standard bra would be a lot cheaper and she measured me up properly so that i now actually know what my size should be

for thos of us who are completely chair bound there are quite afew ideas on the web about adaptations to clothes to make them easier to get on an off - i have enjoyed having a go- sewing is not much hard with the ms than without it for me, the tough part is cutting out the fabric but i have found someone who does alterations who will do this for me- its not high fashion stuff but is comfy and i do not have to worry about getting my wheelchair stuck in the change rooms at the store anymore

Comment

Seriously funny! I envied all you well endowed women, until reading some of these... but for the well endowed who envy those of us who aren't...

I decided I didn't need a big-girl-bra with wires and clips that are so hard for me to fasten so I bought some no clip, pull over the head, sports bras. I was reaching for something on a high shelf in the grocery store and the "bra" came right up and ended up around my neck!!

I bet that to this day, there are people who witnessed this display of training bra buggery, who still laugh. I'm 47, positive nobody except my hubby wants to see those!
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

What a hoot, Cat Mom!!

I understand about no one except husbands wanting to see. I'm sixty three, everything has gone way 'down south", and I can't stand to wear a bra of any kind - I've tried them all! Actually, I don't care except when I have to go to town and shop. On goes the stupid bra or else I wear something loose fitting to cover up my mid-sized, but droopy girls!

When my fingers still worked, I'd have it unfastened coming back home down our lonely dirt road in the country. Ahhhhh~~~ sweet freedom
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

bras

Dear Inventor of Bras:

You probably thought we wanted something to hold these bad boys up off of our chests, but as you can see, most of us are perfectly happy letting them hang free.......commando as many would say! Thank you for making our lives miserable everyday trying to mangle our bodies into strange positions, find the correct brand, size, wire/no wire, but especially those of us with issues that prevent us from being able to properly snap them into place thank you. So to you Mr. Bra Inventor, I give you a big
                              RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Working...
                              X