@ Rest Area 51, Newbies Lounge June 24 '12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See... Told ya Pete.

There are a lot of great people here who have been there. You came to the right place.

Thanks guys (gals) "guys" (Southern for y'all.) I'm so glad you jumped in there for him. He sounded pretty alone like all of us and me when all of you did what you did for me when I was there.

GOMER just got back from the Neuro. We looked at my last MS special MRI together. He really is the greatest doc. He spends time and shows you everything.The lesion in my speech etc. center is about the size of a garden pea but otherwise I was clean. He meandered around the topic of putting me back on Rebif. He asked if I thought it helped and I told only to the point of stabilizing everything. I have been off Rebif for two years without any more TIAs or stroke-related bugs.

He did tell me that by the time I see him in six monthes they will have a new oral medication for us RRMS people. He wants me to go on that to see if it helps. He didn't tell me the name of it so I guess I'll just have to wait.

I did tell him that I was an organ donor and a DNR. I asked him if he did brain research. He doesn't but will be beginning the USF Research program to accept documents for brain donations on MS people who are organ donors or DNRs around this time next year. So I told him let me be the first in line ONLY after I am through with it.

He also paid me a compliment. He knows that I paint and have done two or three shows. Two years ago he asked if I would sell him one of my paintings. I thought he was just being nice. Then last year he asked to see some of my stuff that he wanted to buy one of my pieces. Again I blew him off. Again today he asked me what I was working on. He told me he wants to see it and he will buy it from me. I left with my feet not even touching the ground. I now think he is serious. WOW, wow wow!!!

Dave - after tropical storm Debbie. Drying out.
    "journeyman"

Comment

Gomer here........

Good news for U I guess Dave. Some of the new & orals have serious side effects/complications, just be careful.

Yesterday I had a rather longer than usual apt with my endo. Not so much because of my diabetes but kidney function decline. He asked what test they did to eliminate other possible causes (other than diabetes and Bp). When I told him NONE, he was almost livid, he said they should blame diabetes / BP after eliminating all other possibles.

He said I could give the renal clinic his name & number if they want to talk to him about my diabetes & BP control, which have been great for years. He thought another AI issue could be involved.

OH..VA did at last schedule me for renal clinic and urology again. Both are about 3 weeks out.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

So I've been officially diagnosed a month ago...and I'm still reeling from it to be rather honest. I'm trying to research as much as I can but I'm only getting sadder and sadder...they said that one of the symptoms is depression but is that really part of MS or knowing that you have it?
        Anyways. I think it's good that there's this forum here. I hope I can get help through this.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeLevinthal View Post
          So I've been officially diagnosed a month ago...and I'm still reeling from it to be rather honest. I'm trying to research as much as I can but I'm only getting sadder and sadder...they said that one of the symptoms is depression but is that really part of MS or knowing that you have it?
          Anyways. I think it's good that there's this forum here. I hope I can get help through this.
          Jake,

it's both. MS Causes depression by itself and you can get depressed because you have MS. It's something to watch out for. Although you may feel you have a perfectly good reason to feel bad (and you do), feeling hopless and that you have no future is a different story. My advice is to keep an eye on it with your doctor, exercise as you are able (nature's best anti-depressant) and write to the sys admin to change your name. Best to choose one that's not too unique on the internet. Every word we type goes into google.

Oh, and the first year is the hardest.

Good Luck

And thanks Gomer for running this. I've been here for 2 years and appreciate it. It's nice to have separate section as well.

Comment

In hospital for 5 days IV steroids for ON

I didn't expect this to happen so quickly. My left eye has been getting very blurry. I was on oral steroids about 2 months ago for it before my official dx. A few months before that my vision was 20/20 with readers. During my testing for my dx it was 20/50 with reader. Now wondering what its going to be after these high dose steroids. The most I've ever taken orally at home is 80mg and the IV is 1000mg. Will my eyesight ever go back to 20/20 again. I'm a Special Educ teacher and reading print that I can't make bigger like on an electronic devise is getting harder and harder. I will say that I'm happy it happened this week and not next as my husband and I are taking out 5 daughters to the beach for a week... soooo looking forward to the smell of salt air and the sound of the waves. We talked to the kids about me being out during high heat times and they are ready to go with the flow and take things slow.

Friday my eye started slowing going blurry around noon and then around 5 it was like a shade was pulled down in front of it so to the ER we went on advice from PCP and Neuro. I am not happy about having the IV steroids done in the hospital but hoping next time they can be done at home. My blood sugar which is normally below a hunder was up to 241 yesterday so they gave me insulin with each meal and then before bedtime. Hoping the next 3 does of the IV don't make it spike any higher.

Jake... so sorry for you dx. I was wondering the same... is it depression from MS or just knowing you now officially have it. I hope things improve for you.

BigA... love your nature idea.. here you are again giving good advice..!!!

Pete... sorry to hear about your wife. I'm glad that you are doing all you can to help her. My husband did a lot of research and has been a big help too. He has been sleeping here with me in the hospital the past two nights. This weekend our daughters were with their other parents so that made things easier at home. I wish you and your wife the best of luck.

Gomer and Journeyman... thanks too for all your words of wisdom and upbeat attitude.

Kraheera... "One step at a time"... that ... I keep trying to focus on that but then my head takes over. Positive, need to focus on the positive...!!!

Alishape... Happy Belated Bday...!!! I hope you are able to find a new plan. A plan that has bright opportunites for you adn one that will open new doors that you never imagined..!!!

Carrie... I had to laugh when you said the 3 older ones are done and home now all summer... As a teacher I look forward to the summer time and then I remember that it's me and my 5 girls home too... LOL. Luckily there is a wonderful day camp nearby and it's very inexpensive and the girls go for a few hours a day and we all LOVE it... LOL.

Momof8.. .that's so nice you had a suprise party and got to spend time with old friends. I found that having my friends know what's going on has been a lifesaver. They have been so very supportive and helpful. Sorry you feel at Walmart... I'm so afraid of that happening.

Wildrose... good luck with the diet. I too am starting a mild Swank and slowly incorporating to a more strict Swank. I have been making smoothies with fatfree vanilla greek yogurt and packing it with tons of fruit and spinach.. they are amazing and we all love them. I feel guilty eating it... it's so refreshing and feels "bad" to eat even though it's only yogurt and fresh fruit and spinach. I cut up half the fruit and put it in freezer to give in a thicker texture and it makes it nice and cold. No beef or pork and lean protein... however.. I know that I will be having at leat 2 burnt hotdogs at some point this summer on the grill. I figured 2 would be OK.

I hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend..!!!

I cannot wait to get out of this hospital on Tuesday.
            dx June 2012
            Copaxone

Comment

Working...
            X