Dangerous Heart Rate Drop/Tachicardia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangerous Heart Rate Drop/Tachicardia

My husband had first dose observation today. Much to our surprise, he ended up hospitalized, due to heart problems caused by Gilenya. We were told after the heart rate was noted, that he would have to be hospitalized because there was a history of more than one person dying of a heart attack after the first dose. So, just a little heads up for everyone. He is in the hospital now, all is okay, heart rate hovering around 40. He is in otherwise in great cardiac health, so all is well.

Correction to original post

DH did not have tachicardia. It is bradycardia and atrial fibrulation, such that he may have needed a temporary pacemaker. So far, no such has been necessary. What a strange strange day.

Comment

Getting ready for my "first dose" observation.

I was to choose between Ty and G from May to January and just couldn't make the decision. My doctor finally chose the G for me in January.

I have been off C since February and was finally able to start G. Then the FDA changed the guidelines... and my facility couldn't do the observation and just recently started G again.

I am still anxious about the first dose but happy that there will be increased observations.

I hope your husband continues to improve and can go home soon. Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

Take Care

Comment

Dangerous drop but no damage

The cardiologist said that the dangerous drop along with the junctional rhythm counterindicated G unless my husband also got a pacemaker. So G is not an option. Thank goodness we did the first dose in a top notch university hospital setting, and there were no long term effects. The neurologists have "pulled the plug" on this medication for our husband.

Comment

That must have been scary for you! Glad to hear he was in a top notch hospital setting and is was resolved quickly! Thanks for the update and hope things continue to go well for the both of you.

p.s. I love your name!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks

Yes was scary. Heart rate dropped to 26 last night. I made up the name but it's a hard name to live up to, believe me.

It is been so stressful I must have cloned myself, hence the reference to "our" husband in my last post.

Thanks for your support and for all your hard work on this Board, Seasha.

All well now, just looking for the next wonder drug.

Comment

Originally posted by beingmindful View Post
              It is been so stressful I must have cloned myself, hence the reference to "our" husband in my last post.
              LOL "our husband" - it must have been twice as hard as you had stress enough for 2!! Continue to let us know how he is!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Glad he's ok!!

Sara

Comment

Working...
                X