Just got dx today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got dx today

After many monhts of strange symptoms liek so many of you and MRI's and Spinal Tasp I finally got my answer. Its something we were expecting but hearing it was still tough. Last month I went to a Neuro who told me my ON, dizzinses, and all other symptoms wsa stress related and not MS, even though my MRI shows lesions. He said bc my spinal tap wsa clear that it was MS and that my ON was a sign that I may get MS in 10 years. I thought my husband was going to strangle him when he said it was all stress. He never asked me any questions about my history and spent a total of 10 mins with us. Today the Neuro spent over 45 mins going over my history and family history and then spent 30 mins doing a physical and then talked to us again for about 15 mins. He was wonderful and was actually upset to have to tell me it was MS. It was like we had to let him know it was OK, very nice man adn very thorouhg.

I'm goign back in 2 weeks to discuss meds. Whiel part of me is relievved to know what it is and that its not in my head... another part of me feels shocked.

Thanks for all of yuo who have helped me and answered questions I've had overr the past few months.

I'm a special educ teacher and I've been out on medical sicne January. Looking forward to getting the meds regulated and going back to work in Sept. I will def have a very busy summer with my 3 daughters and 2 step daughters. Thanks goodness for support of family and friends.

Sorry this is so long... not sure how to handle it all.
    dx June 2012
    Copaxone

WELCOME!

Everyone's experience is different, but often a long and winding road, loaded with twists and turns before things straighten out a bit.

I do have one question; was it the neuro who gave you the formal MS dx the same or different neuro that told you it was stress?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I'm so glad you have the support of family and friends. I'm sorry you've got MS... but at the same time, it's good that you found a doctor who would listen, and didn't try to blow you off by saying it was just stress.

I wish you luck, and I hope the meds will make a big difference for you.
      Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

Thanks..!!!

The Neuro is a different one than the one who told me it wsa stress. The Neuro I saw today spent so much tiem and I felt listened too for the first time in so long. My PCP hsa also always listened and has been there the entire time. When the first Neuro said stress I wanted to cry. I read on here and so many places online how long and hard it is to get diagnosed and it defeating. It's sad to say that a dx of MS actually puts the mind to ease a tad bit b/c you know longer feel crazy. Now I need to do research on meds and figure out what is best.
        dx June 2012
        Copaxone

Comment

Good luck to you and your family. There is a lot of wisdom in this forum...warriors with hearts of gold...welcome..thoughts and prayers are with you as you start your journey.

Comment

Best of luck

As hard and twisted as this dx is, it would be so much worse without all the love and sharing in these forums. Research everything and ask the questions - so many times, the answers are here.
            Take care
            Peace, Love, Laughter
            michele - dx 2012, 1st sx 2000 - starting Copaxone 7/2012

Comment

Hi, J9,
              Welcome to the group. Sorry for your dx. I'm glad to see that you have family with you for support. That's important. As you research treatment options, I want to suggest you look into some 'alternative' methods. There is at least 50 years of anecdotal evidence to support diet changes ala Dr. Swank, et al. There are many on this site who use pharmaceuticals along with 'alternative' therapies.
              I think one of the most important things to know is your vitamin D level, which should be between 50 and 80 ng/mL. The MS literature has begun looking into the importance of this recently. Do yourself a favor and tell your doctors to check it along with the other blood tests that they check routinely. Good luck

Comment

J9, congrats on finding answers. I'm sorry it turned out to be MS. But at least with answers, you do get the mind put at ease and will have an easier time being taken seriously by the docs.

Best wishes on your new journey. I hope you find success in the treatment direction you choose.
                It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Hi J9, I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed. I hope that which ever med(s) you choose works well for you. It does help,especially emotionally, to know you're doing something to control it. This forum is so full of expertise on how to live with it, stuff you wouldn't hear from a doc. You're definitely in good company here!
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you everyone

Thanks so much everyone for all the kind words. I have gotten a lot of info from this forum over the past few weeks and it's what helped me get the answers that I needed. Besides the support from family and friends I'm glad I live just outside Philadelphia and have access to several great medical facilities. I feel so bad for people who have to travel hours to get to their Neuro. I really appreciate all of the kinds words, help and support.

And Jerry, I think it was Jerry who mentioned Swank... my husband and I were looking into it and a friend of mine just ordered the book for me. I've been making a smoothie every morning with nonfat greek vanilla yogurt and tons of different fruits. I've alwasy been a big salad eater so I'm going ot keep that up along with a lot of fruit and lean protein. We belong to the Y in our area so I've been doing water walking bc the treadmill kills my legs afterwards. The day after I do a mile walk in the pool my legs feel sort but much better then the treadmill.

Thanks again everyone for you kind words and support.

Oh... a short funny story. I have 3 daughters (12, and twins that are 9) and I have 2 step-daughters (17 and 9).... it's like we have 9 year old triplets.. lOL. Anyway... they have seen what I've been going through over the past few months and I've done my best to be my best in front of them. Well yesterday we sat the 4 youngers ones down to tell them, I was so upset and was crying beforehand bc I didn't want to upset them. We had a horrible loss last summer with my MIL died from cancer 6 weeks after her dx. So, we told the girls and explained MS to them and how it's not fatal and we can all do this together and I will just need extra help from them around the house and need them to be a little patient and I was so worried they would cry and ask hard questions. So, when we were done I asked if they had any quesitons and one of my twins looked at me adn said, "Can we go swimming now"? LOL... I was so worried they would be upset.
                    dx June 2012
                    Copaxone

Comment

ORANGE......

That was fantastic that you sat down with them and told them, instead of trying to evade the issue. Had you not done that, I expect they would be fearing something much worse than MS, especially after the loss last summer.

YES.. they now know, you were up front and that goes a long way in the TRUST dept. Kids KNOW when we hide things from them, they KNOW when something is wrong, even when not told. Your telling them I am sure put their little active minds at ease, so then they could go play and have fun w/o the worry.

Way to go ORANGE!

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

J9,
                        I think you have a start towards giving this MonSter 'what for'. I too live outside Philly and go to the Phoenixville 'Y' for exercise. We have been dealt a 'bad hand' but that doesn't mean we can't fight.
                        Your kids are already to 'get on with it'. And you don't know how much that counts towards your benefit. My daughter is 11 and last year told a guy 'off' who was giving me guff for parking in a handicapped spot at the local Home Depot.
                        Oh, along with the vitamin D test, you might want to explore LDN. If sleeping is a problem, which is often the case.
                        And yes this Philly area is loaded with good practitioners and facilities. Use the heck out of them. Never sit back and think 'What can they do?'. Go to some of the MS seminars that are advertised in the Inky. Good luck

Comment

Out of the mouths of babes, as the old saying goes! That was a cute story, good for you for speaking with them and not freaking them out. Thanks for sharing!
                          Jen
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

J9, I'm sorry that you have MS, but thankful that you now have 'closure' and can move forward and start fighting this thing.
                            "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

Thank you for sharing that story Orange! Very cute and I am very happy for you to have your diagnosis. I too am newly diagnosed and just started my medication. My MRI did show a couple of MS lesions on the brain only and none in the spinal cord. Unfortunately, my MRI also showed I had lung cancer which has all been surgically removed via VATS procedure with one of the top thoracic surgeons in the nation. There was no follow up treatment needed. So, actually the MS symptoms saved my life!

Comment

Working...
                              X