Pinpricks and Hot Flashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinpricks and Hot Flashes

Curious if anyone has experienced prickling all over the face followed by an intense surge of body heat?
    This will happen several times a day, sometimes for no reason and sometimes when startled or when lifting something heavy.
    I know I'm probably perimenopausal, being 50 and starting to miss periods, but haven't talked to anyone who has had the pinprick sensations followed by the heat. Sometimes my face will get bright red as well.
    Oh, and of course the drenching night sweats - yikes!
    Thanks for any reply

Hi linda:
    The surges of heat (hot flashes) and drenching night sweats are classic menopause symptoms. If you research menopause symptoms, you'll find that paresthesias (e.g., prickling, tingling, electrical zaps) similar to those that occur in MS, as well as flushing of the face and chest, also occur in menopause. Having pinprick sensations and flushing of the face followed by a hot flash may just be particular to you, but doesn't sound out of the ordinary. It may not be so much that you're having pinprick sensations followed by the heat as much as you're having typical hot flashes that are preceded by a pinprick sensation, and you're putting your attention on the minor symptom rather than the major one. As for frequency, there was a short time when I was having 10 or 12 hot flashes a day. If you post in menopause forums, you might find other posters who are having the very same symptoms you are. Of course, if you're not sure you should check with your doctor.

Comment

Ahh, thank you Redwing . . . it gets so confusing trying to figure out what is MS and what is just plain nature taking it's course.
      That's part of the reason I've stayed off of the internet for a long time to not let all the various symptoms of MS play into my mind of possible symptoms.
      I appreciate your response!

Comment

It sounds very similar to my experiences with menopause, except I was much younger. DONE entirely by 42 or 43. The drenching night sweats hung on for me far longer than the hot flashes.
        Good luck, I hope it will be a fast transition for you- I don't know what I was being compared to but I was told mine was "fast".

Comment

Thank you, ladies! I have the same problem. Hot flashes (feels like temp has gone up 20 degrees), and pinpricks on my face going up to my scalp. With the different range of symptoms we have, it's hard to figure out what's MS or what's not !

Comment

hot flashes galore!

I am timing my hotflashes and they only last for 7 mins.(8x/day) but the fatigue partnered with hot flashes takes it's toll. I get about 5 hrs of sleep at night and 3 hours during the day.
            Cafinee is a triger, so I'm between staying awake all night and sleeping days, or sleeping until the hot flashes take over. putting a towle to sleep on saves on the wash, and a water bottle($ store) spray helps during the day.

Hang in there this to shall pass.
            "To Love and be Loved, is lifes greatest gift"
            Limbo 2008-12, DX 5/12, COPAXONE, GABBY, BACLOFEN, MISC.

Comment

No prickling here, but I have hot flashes all the time. I'm 24, so hopefully not menopause haha

Comment

I know it's been a while since the original post, but I saw the topic while browsing and had to reply.

Yes to hot flashes and double yes to the pin prick feeling. It's horrible....taking clothes out of the dryer can trigger it, as can standing in the shower....or just for no reason whatsoever...if I get a hotflash..or sometimes even just hot...here come the pin pricks..... It's horrible.

I don't get them on face, but I do get them everywhere else...you are def not alone.
                Dx 06/07
                Copaxone

Comment

Working...
                X