Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Gilenya weaken immune response to food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Gilenya weaken immune response to food?

I have been on Gilenya since Dec 2011. I was diagnosed in 2002 and have taken Rebif, Copaxone, Tysabri (with immediate allergic reaction, and Rituximab. Gilenya has given me no side effects. Actually, I feel more energized then I have in 2 years!

My strange possible reaction: 3 times, I have eaten something that has caused me to break out in large, red splotches all over my face. After taking over-the-counter antihistamine, it calmed down. (Once, my entire face turned bright red!) This reaction was not itchy and did not spread to the rest of my face. **I have NEVER reacted like this to food or drink before.** This happened on 3 separate occasions since starting Gilenya, and there was not a similar food that I ate before each reaction.
    Question #1 - Has this happened to anyone on Gilenya?
    Question #2 - Could this be because Gilenya is immuno-suppressant, therefore a hidden food allergy has a chance to appear?

Originally posted by carolinagirl15 View Post
    Could this be because Gilenya is immuno-suppressant, therefore a hidden food allergy has a chance to appear?
    In theory, no, because an allergy IS an immune response and should be suppressed by an immunosuppressant. That's why steroids are prescribed for asthma and allergies. It's foreign organisms and abnormal self-cell types that can grow unchecked in the presence of immunosuppressants.

Your facial reaction could be an allergy -- you're not on a heavy-duty immunosuppressant that would squelch an allergic response. And it's possible that Gilenya may have altered the way your immune system responds to allergens. Or it could be something else.

But the reaction isn't likely occurring because of the mechanism you're proposing. Your own immune system isn't a foreign invader, and it's unlikely that your own immune components are multiplying unchecked (as a foreign organism might) in the presence of a medication that's simultaneously suppressing them. Definitely worth checking with your neuro about.

Comment

Thank you, Redwings. That was a really great explanation. I do have an appointment with my neuro on Wednesday, and it is something I will discuss with her. It is curious, though. It's probably unrelated to Gilenya, but it's always good to ask.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X