severe spasms triggered by muscle use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

severe spasms triggered by muscle use

i have a frustrating problem with muscle spasm- but the spasms are not constant, just when they do occure they are severe and painful

the most frustrating ones are in my hands, certain moves such as holding a pen or pencil (typing is fine) or peeling vegetables etc after a few minutes will lead to severe spasms in which my fingers and lock in extension and the thumb is kind of locked across the palm of my hand- i can gradually massage it loose but then it will take very little to trigger it again for the next hour or so- so far the only thing that has been at all helpful is to basically break up my kitchen task so that i am not holding vegetables or peeler for long enough to trigger in the first place but it means that meal prep is slow.

i get the same kind of muscle locking in other muscle groups always due to repeated use but less of an issue than with my hands.

even having my supra pubic catheter changed is an issue, removing the old one will trigger severe spasms that are extremely painful and then make it very hard for my continence nurse to replace the new one- initially it was so bad i had to go back to my urolgoist for changes as they could not remove the old catheter, the muscles would clamp onto it causing extreme pain- now we have worked out a system of me taking a large dose of oral valium before the procedure and they use a lignocaine jelly locally - it is still painful but bearable

all the issues i have with spasms are similar though, i do not have constant spasticity just really severe spasms to the point of muscle locking with certain triggers. i have tried oral medications and get some help from baldder spasms with probanthine but baclofen has not helped - avoiding triggers is the only thing that has worked really and that is really hindering me around the home

have you any suggestions for this kind of all or nothing spasming??

Hi Kebsa
    Spasticity is common in the hand. It can be as a result of fatigue, pain (as well as causing pain), weakness, being overheated and more.
    Stretching the hand and wrist is important as well as massage. Resting is also very important,
    Simplify tasks -For instance, if you need cut vegetables, have someone do it for you, do it day before you need to use them, or buy them already cut.

Additional suggestions I have for you are:
    Avoid overuse, make sure you rest in between activities;
    Use large handles, textured grips to lessen effort to hold items;
    Keep elbow close to body, that alone can make a big difference,
    You can also support your elbow on table while trying to work with hand individually (be careful of leaning too much or too hard on elbow to avoid skin breakdown or issues with ulnar nerve). This would including feeding, writing, even buttoning;

Have you tried relaxation techniques? I find them extremely helpful in promoting relaxation to muscles as well for the mind. There are various types, perhaps you can try a few. I find different ones on you tube

Spasticity tends to worsen the harder you try to do things. Knowing you want/need to use your hand, the stress of trying not to spasm or tighten up adds to the spasticity. Then if pain or discomfort is added, muscles naturally tighten up

Lastly, an OT can make splints or supports to help maintain the fingers and hand in good alignment.
    A therapist can work with you for various activities, assistive devices, and adaptive techniques that can make a significant difference. You may want to ask you doctor for an occupational therapy order.

Hope this helps
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

thank you Susan, alot of what you mention i am already doing, i live alone so can only manage kitchen tasks by breaking them down over time -i am on a pension so finances don't stretch to paying for the prepared vegies unfortunately but i do have an appointment to see an OT and see if she can help with splints

thanks for the suggestion of keeping my elbows resting at bench level, that has extended my endurance. I do have a personal carer to help with showers and some houswork and i may have to see if she can help a little more in the kitchen but this means applying for more assistance and that is a slow process here in australia so the other stuff will keep me going in the meantime

Comment

Working...
      X