@ Rest Area 51 Paging ALL MS Newbies June 10 '12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Rest Area 51 Paging ALL MS Newbies June 10 '12

Welcome to Rest Area 51... a special haven for our family of newbies Dx'd w/MS in recent days or years and old-timers that are newbies at heart. We really get it, we understand like no non-MS'r ever could.

Take a well deserved break from your travels on the MSuper highway
    pull into a nice cozy shady parking spot, Pitch a tent or just lay out a blanket and enjoy the crisp cool fresh air .
    Help yourself to fresh Cider and donuts. The camp fire is roaring in the open pit ready for hot dogs, marshmallows and smore's Feel free to share your ideas, experiences and support to your fellow newbies. Relax, you are among friends, friends that understand. We have a virtual soap box, feel free to vent anytime.

Being a newbie can be as scary and lonely as being in limbo, Remember we are your MS family away from family. The BIG question answered means many more new questions and decisions. For those still working on, seeking a formal MS Dx, I highly recommend you check out MinivanMama's Limbo Island.

PLEASE.... Let US know how YOU, a member of our MS newbies family is doing.

Have a QUESTION? Please don't be shy........
    The only dumb stupid question........is the one NOT asked.

How was your Week?........
    ...Good I hope, Any Dr.apts tests etc?

....Any Dr. apts. tests etc.

Gomer Sir Falls--Lot

No big things.

The rain stopped after two weeks. We were getting an inch and a half a day. Good for the yard and garden but the icky gray days ended just in time. I was sick of it.

I have been working out in the yard so I was getting bruises - I mean bruises 3 - 6 inches in diameter so gave the Dr. a call. He wasn't sure about the cause but I am on two anti-coagulants.

My insurance co. has a Dr. of Pharmacology so I called him and he ran my meds on the computer for conflicts. He told me that only the B-12 my be increasing my brusing but he also told me that the increase would not be significant enough to stop the B-12.

He said I should just be more careful. YEAHH ! like I am already trying to cram four years into what may only be six months, (which I've used up four) before my next relapse.

Its been uplifting, gratifying and in general good for my self-esteem to be able to actually doing some productive things in my remission.

I am holding my breath but proceeding with vacation plans.
    We are hopefully going to drive (my wife doing the driving and with me riding) to Boston, to Portland ME, to Mt. Washington, take the train to the summit. Then drive down to mid-Vermont to where we used to live and get with some old friends.

Its been since 1985 since we have seen them. Christmas letter has been out only communications. Then we will shoot back to "hot and humid as all hell Tampa." Just ask GOMER. He's been here to visit me.

The last time we planned this very same vacation. I had a big TIA the night before and was hospitalized for five days. No vacation and was able to get our deposits back. Hope we are in the clear for this one. If anything happens I will probably be hospitalized in the unit that I used to work. That would be fun but a nightmare.

I was trying to update my profile the other day and discovered a button to turns on avatars. WOW. Its so nice to see who I am writing to or get an idea of their personalities based on their avatars. I'm glad to SEE all of you.

In previewing this I noticed that I put into my profile a signature block. Didn't know how to turn it on. But in doing the preview of this long to me I noticed that it does it automatically. So no I have not lost it yet.

Dave
    "journeyman" Tampa, Florida
    Wx: 90 degrees and 53% humidity

Comment

Good luck on your vacation Journeyman Dave. I hope it works out for you. I have a cruise planned for the end of September, and I really hope I can still enjoy the beach. I have taken to wearing ball caps to keep the heat off of my head here in maryland. I think it helps, so for the tropics I will get a staw hat or a Panama Jack. I will make a beeline for the water as soon as I get to the beach. Lol, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

This year was the first year since I bought my house in Baltimore that I did start my garden. I prepped my little area, put down weed paper and removed the weeds. Heck I even turned the dirt over and added a few bags or organic dirt and fertilizer. Then I started feeling sorry for my self and let all my little seedlings die before transplanting them. My friends little container tomato plant has gotten so big and lush but every time I look out my window I see a big, black, barren swatch of weed-papered yard.

Well, I'm going to start my garden late . What's the worst that can happen?
      You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

WoW Jman Dav......... only 53% humidity? I would expect closer to 90/90% this time of year.

When are ya going north? I am still not sure when I will make my summer trip down to the bay area.

Shape... good luck with your garden.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

GOMER AND ALI...

GOMER: We are going to fly into NY and take the ferry across to lake Champlain to VT. Spend the night in Stowe VT, travel over to Mt. Washington and take the cog train up and down. (Sad I climbed this about five times but won't be trying it this trip.) Then down to White River Junction for a few days and see some friends and neighbors. Whe hope to truck around to a few of our favorite places then back up to NY and home. About 10 days in all first week in July.

ALI... This is the third year I have attempted a garden. In VT we had an acre garden. I started two tomatoes (in FL it's "tomato" and cantelopes are just "lopes." ???

My tomatos were eaten by tomato caterpillers to the stumps. Each year I have gotten better. Our drought early in the year helped. It killed even weeds and made the weeding easier. I now have two rows. I have string beans, herbs and yellow squash. I dug two more rows and put seeds in the starting boxes. But then we got two weeks straight of rain with about 1 1/2 in. per day. After waiting for two weeks I did an autopsy on my seedling boxes. All of the seeds rotted despite a drainage system.

So now I have two rows with nothing in them. I am starting over under a partial shelter. Gardening is a LABOR of love and knowledge. Keep at it.

In VT they tought me "companion planting." It has so helped. I planted Basil with my tomatos and leek with my squash. I have had no bugs. First time organic and not insecticides. I finally found a complete list of companion planting like we did in VT. (they frown on insecticides other that garlic+tea, human urine or onion and pepper. --- The urine just in case you are wondering is poured around the perimeter of your garden, rabbits, deer, raccoon and hedge hogs will not cross your marking.) VTers are total organics.

If you go to my profile page and drop me an e-mail with your address I will be happy to send you a copy of the companion planting pages or you can just buy the book called "The Farmers Bible."

Best of luck.
          Dave Tampa, Florida
          Wx: at 8:30 AM - 86 deg. and 64% hum.

Comment

I went to my Neuro today.

Did the whole testing of reflexes, walking, etc. Balance is obviously shot, and the left side is definitely weaker. I also have less sensation in the left side of my face, which was news to me, but I don't usually have people stroking my face either. LOL

When he was pushing on my left leg I had to really fight to keep it up, which was downright depressing.

So in the end... I am now getting put on Symmetrel 2 times a day for fatigue and we've upped the dosage on my Nortriptyline to 50 mg a night instead of 25 mg.

But I love that doc, because he listens to everything, and he actually gives a damn.

Comment

My girlfriend is growing herbs and tomatoes on her balcony this year. She used some of the basil in spaghetti sauce and man! It was out of this world. What a difference from store bought! I am going to put some in with my tomatoes. For some reason her rosemary won't grow though. Is there a companion plant for that?

The first time I went to the doctor with symptoms, they keep giving me balance tests and checking to see if I had zings going down my neck. I had great balance at the time even though my legs were numb, but it's totally shot now.I ran into a wall at work the other day because I had a long blink when turning a corner. I did not have Le'Hermittes sign then either. I do have it now.

The messed up thing about all those tests, for me anyway, was that nobody told me what they were testing for. I didn't know what to expect. Then when I got the symptoms they were checking for, I was like oh,now I get it!
              You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

ALISHAPE

Rosemary is the companion plant for most other plants.

If you go to my profile page and send me your address I would be glad to send you copies of the two or three pages from my book which covers all plants. Some plants do not get along together and will cross-flavor their companion plants. Or you can buy the book at most book stores. It's called the "Farmer's Bible."

Rosemary likes a little sand mixed in with the potting soil. I usually put pebbles or a rock in the bottom of the pot. The pot should have a drainage hole in the bottom. They like to be watered, at most, every-other-day. You can get away with just once a week. It likes direct sun. Hope this helps. Mine is growing in 90+deg weather in a mixture of vegatable soil mixed with processed cow manure. (My mix for everything.) When they are established I plant them in my garden which is mostly sand here in Florida.

My wife and I are not necessarily "Green People" but we are trying to eat healthier and organic especially for me and my MS. Being ret. I like to cook and bake so its kind of a therapy for me.

Good luck. It's good therapy for MSers and their Caretakers as well as healthy.

Dave, Tampa, Florida
                "journeyman"
                Status: four months into what is usually a six month remission.

Comment

What a day

I am having a terrible day today. I have been weak with pains in my neck. I planted my veggies but by the time I got done I was shaking all over. I had to sit down. I thought I had hit my new normal. I thought it was like a steady thing until a relapse, but now I don't know.

Jesus. I hope I have a better day tomorrow.

Comment

Ali - The trick is to keep your chin up. You're going to have bad days, but that doesn't mean that you won't have good days too.

Trust me, this board is a lifesaver when it comes to those bad days.

Comment

poking my head in again

Hi all - I recognize some names/faces, maybe you'll remember me too. It's been about 9 months or so since I last posted in here.

Headed out on Tuesday to have my first Tysabri infusion. Still dealing with sx in my hands that we are now considering permanent after my last relapse. And now that we are start treatment, just reeling with emotions because it all seems so REAL.

Comment

Newly diagnosed

After what seemed to be a nasty migraine causing vertigo I was hospitalised for further tests. Several days later I was diagnosed with MS. That was just over ago month now.
                        I was told they found it early and I naively thought this meant I had some time before MS would actually have any significant impact on me, how wrong was I.
                        I am 10 days into a relapse (my first known one) where I have been very unsteady on my feet and need assistance while walking and also having some problems with my right leg.
                        I have been a little frightened by the level of disability that I have felt and this is early days!
                        My neuro has given me plenty of info about medication I can go on and I am working my way through it and overwhelmed by that too.
                        Wow it is like I have arrived somewhere completely unexpected & unprepared. Your rest stop is very much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                        X