muscle strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muscle strength

my neurologist told me that once we lose some of our feeling and muscle mass that we will never be able to gain strength back, just flexibility because it is a brain neuro thing. Is this true??? I just got my excercise bike back out and was hoping that i could gain some muscle strength back in my weak leg.

I don't have the answer to that but I hope it's not true. I lift free weights and feel stronger. For legs I do squats and lunges. Yoga and pilates help me maintain strength as well. I lost a lot of strength over the past year and I've been gaining it back. Haven't officially been dx with MS but it's definitely looking that way.

I read a story about a man who was a bodybuilder and had MS but he was still able to be a bodybuilder and he had massive mouscles.

Comment

Thanks for your reply lore. I also have read about that bodybuilder so I hope we can can strength and muscle also. Wish I new for sure, maybe someone will let us know by posting here.

Comment

Originally posted by amber23 View Post
        my neurologist told me that once we lose some of our feeling and muscle mass that we will never be able to gain strength back, just flexibility because it is a brain neuro thing. Is this true??? I just got my excercise bike back out and was hoping that i could gain some muscle strength back in my weak leg.
        Yes and no. For example, my legs. When they first started giving me trouble, I lost sensation in parts, but could still move them, if awkwardly. At that point, even though I didn't have perfect form, I could still run and weight train, so I maintained muscle for the most part.

Later, when they became difficult to move because they just weren't on speaking terms with my brain, I did begin to lose a good deal of muscle because I just could not move them enough to make any difference.

The bottom line is how much communication between brain and body is maintained. If everything works for the most part, it's just a matter of move it or lose it, like everyone else. On the other hand, if you can't move your legs, or have little grip strength to hold even a small weight, you're going to lose some muscle. Some things might be able to improve and others won't.

All said, as long as you're smart about it and think safety first, there is no reason you can't or shouldn't try to exercise to the best of your ability. There are too many benefits to exercise overall not to go for what ever you can, even if it's just lifting cans of soup or even your arms with no weights at all.

Comment

Thanks for your reply MrsBones. It is difficult to gain strength when I can't flex my calf muscle, sure can be frustrating but I will keep trying. Thank goodness my arms are still good.

Comment

Got a story for ya. First I am 65 & have PPMS for 15 yrs.
            Last year first of Feb I broke my ankle and a metatarcle(sp) in my left leg & foot by--ta da --falling. I was still walking mornings with a walker but by afternoon was in a power wheelchair, but transfering easy.

Got this blue (who knew there were so many colors) cast but because of my age (64) and bone density was casted 10 weeks. Couldn't put any weight on it cause of the way the ankle broke so rode in my chair all day. Thank God I already had the chair! Had to hire help 7 days a week to help me get into bed.

So after 10 weeks couldn't walk anymore. Strength all gone, muscles all gone (weren't that swell anyway) and had to still have nite help and 3 mornings help. Still that way.

Blah blah. Get to the point Anne. Last year decided to get my own PT parallel bars. What a chore. Glad for internet! Got prices but needed a loading dock. Yah, right. Called two independent PT joints and got a local distributor. Called him and he said YES he could order them for me. Business was slow & bars were bars. For months I kept saying "I want my bars! I want my bars!"

He got me a better price, I had them installed-got the kind that hang on the wall and are 7'long & fold up if wanted-and started trying to walk again. Now we are talking about Christmas, it took that long.

Couldn't walk every day & then only back and forth once. Kept going & now can do it every day & 3 back & forths. Not great & not ever on my own again but I can do it.

Put shorts on last week cause it is getting warmer and have no muscle tone anymore & saggy skin shows it but--I have strength!

Comment

Wow Anne you are a strong person! I hope to never break anything! Getting those bars is very good idea I have thought about getting some but always put it out of my mind. Never heard someone actually get them. thanks for replying to my thread.

Comment

Anne - That is wonderful for you to be able to do some walking - amazing. I also have PPMS and walking ability getting worse every week. Can still use a walker, but it is a struggle to get around.

I still go to the pool three times a week and do water walking - able to walk in the water and such a good feeling - hoping that will keep my legs strong enough to keep going longer.

I will remember to get some PT parallel bars if I am unable to get to the pool for exercise. I will continue to do whatever I can to keep walking, even if only short distance with the walker.

I am sending you my best wishes to continue to gain some muscle strength - we just cannot give up trying.

Comment

Hi Everyone
                  Sorry for getting into this conversation a bit late!

Neurology can be a bit complicated and until 'they' truly understand MS, it's hard to say what will or won't come back after a relapse.
                  When demyelination occurs so significantly where it actually affects the nerve, the nerve can no longer function.
                  These nerve fibers are what carries messages to and from the brain.
                  Without myelin providing a protective coating the transmission cannot be made.
                  Think of a phone cord and the rubber coating around the wires. If a hamster eats the coating, the wires get exposed & damaged, and the phone won't, your message to another person can not be made.

I would never give up doing exercises for range of motion, flexibility and strength. There are too many muscles, motions, and so many parts in our body that could benefit from doing as much as you can.
                  Exercise/Movement, also increases cardiovascular system which increase endurance and they are also important in releasing body chemicals, such as endorphines, that are natural producing protein bodies that elevate our mood, helps with pain, and manage stress.

Since there are always opportunities, keep a positive mind and keep on track with exercise plan.
                  Journal what you're doing and how it feels
                  You may be surprised with information you receive from your journaling that can show results.

Good Luck and keep us posted
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Actually, Amber, the opposite is true. Flexibility when it goes in MS can often require drastic measures to get it back (like surgery). MS PT expert Dr. Ken Seaman discusses that in his article on ActiveMSers.

As for weightlifting with MS, you can find that there too.

Hope this helps!

Dave, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

Thanks Dave - always great to hear from you.

In general, I'm cautious when a Neuro says "never". There are so many facts which are true until demonstrated otherwise.

Find out for your self!

Comment

I am pretty active, running and doing vinyasa yoga, about 10-12 workouts a week, in addition to doing a walking commute for a total of about one hour of walking a day. This is about what I did before MS, except with much higher running mileage.

I say that not to brag but to point out that even with that level of activity and work, I find my strength gradually diminishing in one leg. It seems that my nerve damage (one large lesion on my cervical spinal cord) was significant enough to alter the nerve conduction to the muscles in my legs and I have noticed (in yoga mostly) one side getting weaker and weaker.

Not to discourage anyone from working out, though. It's just a fact. It makes me want to do more, actually. So this summer I have sought physical therapy to help address it, and hopefully devise a program I can continue forever to help forestall increased weakness.

I have seen no diminishment in flexibility or range of motion though.

Everyone's different...

Comment

my experiences have been varied. i own 5 canes (must use one at all times out of house), 1 rollator, 1 manual w/c, 1 elec. w/c all of which get used at various times and in varying degrees.

right now, my walking is fine unless is far distance than fatique causes me to use w/c.

3 yrs. ago, i woke up and fell on the floor because my left side was paralyzed. my whole body has been numb but functioning since 2002 dx.
                          this was different! had to pick up left arm and left leg - no feeling or function! freaked me out. IV roids and taper pills helped some.
                          i got to where i could transfer by myself. (have always exercised & had been w/c bound for 2 yrs so upper body strength is good)

it took almost 2 mos of PT with a very strenuous therapist to walk again. both legs are equal in muscle mass and definition (pretty nice looking for a 50 yr old if i may say so myself)

so never, never give up! and i agree when a dr. says 'never' s/he's WRONG! drs. aren't the final word on our health, the Great Physician is!

that's why i started the 'wii and exercise checkin group' to help encourage others not to give up activity.
                          no, i can't run with my marathon hubby but i can beat him at Wii bowling and golf!

praying that all reach their best potential of activity!
                          God bless ya!
                          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Flexibility in itself doesn't require surgery. Flexibility relates to the range of movement part of your body performs.

However, Spasticity - especially when it's severe which is caused by increased muscle tone, does often require surgical intervention, casting and positioning. Tightness as a result of increased tone (spasticity) can reduce someone's flexibility.
                            This is why stretching is utmost important.

Stretching is very important in the morning and if you can, do before bed as well. You want to maintain as much range of motion as you can.

Exercising to improve weakness is important as well. You want to target the weaker muscles. Going to therapy will provide a full assessment as well as exercise programs targeted specifically for identified areas. The therapist will also work on reducing spasticity you may be experiencing, thus, improving your range of motion and flexibility.
                            Be Well,
                            Susan

Comment

Its not true. While I Was DXed last year my strenght went way way down. You could see how much smaller my other arm was.

Since then all my weights have went up and are still going up. IM probably the strongest I have ever been.

Now im stuck on my squats right now but im going ot try to push threw it

Comment

Working...
                              X