Vitamin D in the summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
    My last blood test was in July, with taking 5,000 iu my Vit D 25 on my blood test came in at 26.1.
    Dr Davis formerly of the Heartscanblog now Track Your Plaque has been using 10,000iu/daily with his patients and he finds that it can take some of his patients 3 years before they've fully restored their vitamin D reserves.
    See his post
    "Topping up your vitamin D tank"
    It isn't necessarily the case that using 20.000iu/d will mean double the speed at which your 25(OH)D level is restored as the more you take the more your body will reject.
    The only way you can be sure you've made the target 25(OH)D is to get retested and be guided by the result.

Comment

struck-a-nerve,
      I don't know what a base-line is. But I can say that I was about 30ng/mL and started to take 5000 to 100,000 iu's per day for about the whole year 2011. Now it was tested about 2 months ago and it was up to about 50ng/mL. The doctor says he wants it to be higher, nearer to 70+. I am okay with that.
      So, after checking for contraindications with other meds you take, you should talk to your doctor about supplementing. But if you and your doctor know your levels are testing low, don't let the MD's short-sheet you. If your doc says to start supplementing, you need to take at least 1000 iu's per day. One of the official Medical school sites talk about 400 iu's and 600 iu's daily being sufficient. But how can that be ? I am taking 10X that daily. And brought my levels up in a year. No thanks to conventional, conservative medicine. This kind of thinking is the reason there is nothing curative for MS from the conventional sources. Good luck

Comment

I do not know my exact rates but my Neuro wants my numbers a lot higher. Eating 5k d3 per day plus I have started going to the Tanning bed. Living in Oregon does not give me as much sunlight as I would like. Hopefully next test will be more positive.

Comment

uli1515 - I also live in the PNW, so even getting outdoor sun exposure is rarely enough to get the Vit. D3 we need. I have been taking 10K IU a day for a few years now and get my levels checked once a year and it always reads around 68ng/mL. I'm happy with this.

You will want to get it checked periodically.

A word of caution about tanning beds- if you use one, make sure it's a low-pressure bed that has good amount of UVB light, rather than high-intensity UVA light as this is a proven carcinogen!!

Just be aware and cautious - OK? Hope you can get your levels up without using the beds
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            A word of caution about tanning beds- if you use one, make sure it's a low-pressure bed that has good amount of UVB light, rather than high-intensity UVA light as this is a proven carcinogen!!

Just be aware and cautious - OK? Hope you can get your levels up without using the beds
            Thank you for the words. I am not sure on the bulbage type but ill look into that. I have only been doing 7 minutes a day 3 days a week. They tell me that is not enough (tanning girls) but it seems from reading on the net It is plenty for my needs. I do not need the leather look. I feel out of place already being the only male at the place. So 10 minutes in the door to out is working ok.

Comment

uli1515,
              I don't use a tanning bed and have doubled or tripled my vitamin D values over the last 2 years. I responded to this thread 2 years ago when my vit. D values were under 40 ng/ml. Since then, I have been able to raise them up to 65 using 5000iu tablets, once a day. I hope this suggestion helps you out. I don't believe that you can get enough vitamin D from 'light exposure' because, IMO, something about MS is causing the body to malfunction. I don't know what that something is. Good luck

Comment

What about Vitamin K?

I have been reading about the importance of taking K2 along with Vitamin D3. Has anyone heard of this? It all seems very confusing. I thought I was doing the right thing by just taking the D3. I have had my levels checked and it seems to stay around 40. I am currently taking 6,000 IU of Vitamin D3. I eat very healthy, lots of greens, fruit and flax seed in my morning smoothie. I am not sure if that is the right form of Vitamin K though.
                K9 Love heals

Comment

At my last doctor's appointment, my doctor said that she is suspect of the current RDA levels for vitamin D. She said that almost everyone she treats in her practice, is below or at the the lower levels of the current acceptable range for vitamin D! I told her that I took 5000iu's daily. She suggested that I should lower my intake to 2000iu's daily. This vitamin D situation is curious and confusing. I hope that everyone finds their 'best' levels and the 'best' supplement to take. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X