At Work: work-around tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Work: work-around tips

Folks, we all have to accomodate our illness and develop work-arounds to stay successful, productive and useful at our jobs.

Can we share ideas on how we streamline our processes, cut corners, improve organization, etc.?

Please post here!

I took lean manufacturing training in '97 and found it very useful in all aspects of work, household, project management....saving time, effort and money is always beneficial.

I write fastidious work instructions at all of my jobs. They are incredibly detailed, outlining every step of every task. The intent was to accomodate anyone who had to back-fill the job, but now it helps me out, too.

I use outlook to remind me for every periodic task. I work in Accounting and have many reports and analyses due at varied times. A master check list might be helpful.

Diligent note-taking during one-on-one meetings with my manager helps. This way I know what I am responsible for and can follow through.

Keep data files very organized. Folders: First by department, then by genre, then by document type. Then date each document in an organized way to retrieve them. Ie: 2012-04-30 Meeting Minutes. These will sort accordingly.

Physical documents: File similarly by department, genre, document type. In date order.

I use a white board to list my pending tasks to complete.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

And others think you are weird! Only when you are not there, they can find everything.

We had codes on our telephones for private messages. Only one person other than the owner knows the code. That was very helpful.

I lost use of my left arm so typing was almost impossible. Set up my keyboard for Dvorak right handed. Change one button & anyone can use my computer.

KK

Comment

Thank you for facilitating this thread and sharing the suggestions.

I would add using a recorder if typing or writing is difficult or time is limited. The person listening can take their own notes as needed or someone can help to type all for you.

Organization is very important. If work areas are large, have more than one set of supplies available, strategically place misc items according to frequency of need, order supplies in bulk to eliminate stress over need for shopping or possibility of running out.

Don't forget to ask people for help. I like to ask if I can 'borrow their legs' when someone is heading where I need something to go to or picked up.

Checklists are very important. Itemize by priority, time sensitivity, and definitely set a deadline for completion to cross off list.

When working with folders and files, consider ease of accessibility and storage. Frequently used files should be at waist level, stacking trays on desk can help organize according to topic, completion time, relevance etc

Keep notepad/post-it's and pen on you. Jot down things to stay on track or so you don't have to worry about forgetting.

Lastly, rolling chairs are helpful. They eliminate need to get up/down but use with caution. Make sure chair has back and arm rests and take into consideration ability to sit/stand on a rolling chair. Don't risk your safety
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

I have many people email me instead of calling me or voice mails, this way using outlook I can place their emails in folders and go back months or years later and know the who, what and when without struggling and fighting with my memory for the information.

Also in a recent computer upgrade I got this program called “Microsoft OneNote”, and so far I like it.
        Basically can organize your notes with it, and have shared note pages with co-workers. So you could have something like a shared note page for contacts or projects.

My best tip would be to have a strong work ethic, I feel employers will overlook a lot of stuff if an employee has a good work ethic.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

You get an A + in organization, that's for sure!

Just remember that you may give 100+ % because that's the way you are. Don't set yourself up to possible disappointment as not everyone has the same work values and ethics as you.

Keep up the great work and thank you again for sharing
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

Your welcome and thanks Susan, but

LOL, if you could see the mess of paperwork on my desk you would likely give me C – at best.

Few of the co-workers I know have my level of work ethics, and that is OK.
            I see that as just raising the value of my work ethic.

Now when a boss does recognize it value, it is frustrating.
            But that is OK, it just part of my earth path plus I have outlasted more boss then I can count.

Mentally/emotionally speaking the fact I’m in what should be my prime earning years and I’m still at the same level I was 10-15yrs ago makes it hard to stay driven.
            I’m dealing with it, but still it ****!!!
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

As you know , organization is very important. Not only for work productivity, but also for energy conservation and work simplification - two very important aspects to many MS fatigue

I remember when I was in management, my desk had piles of papers but I knew why they were there and could find anything...okay, almost anything!

There are tips I can help with organization and work simplification. Let me know if you would like me to list

I too had a boss that didn't give me the recognition or pat on the back that was deserved. Nevertheless, I was proud of my work productivity and work ethics and knew I was doing a good job. I took feedback of others to help confirm my thoughts or help development areas that could be stronger.

Stay focused, keep things organized, don't over do it -remember, it's okay to say no or to ask if something can wait until later or another day.

Keep me posted
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

List

I would like to see your list and tips on staying organized.

Comment

Here are some examples to stay organized and conserve energy:

1. Try to keep things in the same place- especially important for items used frequently. For example, I leave my purse & keys on same table, same spot when I return home.
                  I even leave remotes and phones in location that is not only the same but also convenient for me to get to.
                  My office is set up so things are where I know I'll find them and easy to get to.

2. Make lists and try to stick to them. Cross off when completed.

3. Prioritize what needs to be done. This is helpful when things pile up.

4. Have paper & pen readily available. I have in kitchen, family room, office and by the bed. I write to remember and by doing so, it not only keeps me on track, it also eases my mind so I don't have to worry about trying to remember things.

5. Ask for help and learn to say 'no'! Definitely can be a challenge, I know.
                  This is helpful when you prioritize things, you may be able to cross off having to do something if you realize it can be done by someone else.

6. I have separate holders for bills, receipts, important papers, etc
                  I have space just for bills that I can easily see. It not only keeps them organized, it also serves as a visual reminder when I see them

7. When going to another room/area, see if you need to bring anything there or somewhere along the way. I try to minimize how many times I have to walk to different areas as walking can be challenging for me.

8. It's good to spread things out throughout the week. Try not to leave many for one day. For example, some people work during the week and wait until Saturday to do many errands. This can lead to fatigue that not only can impact the rest of that day and evening, but may also interfere with what you may want or need to do on the next day.

9. Use the time when you have the most energy to do most challenging and time consuming things.

10. Use an alarm or timer. I often use the alarm on my phone when I need to return a call or have an appointment. You can also use it to take medicine

I hope you find these ideas helpful. I encourage others to share their suggestions and ideas for organization and energy conservation.
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X