Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

started GF diet yesterday. Today punchy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

started GF diet yesterday. Today punchy.

Stopped all gluten and most dairy yesterday. Today am punchy and feel som achiness in some of my joints (ie. hands). Could there be a correlation to abrupt GF? Do I need to be drinking extra water to "flush" any toxins out? I don't remember from the last time I tried going GF. Maybe it's just my allergies (and age.)

Any input out there?
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

I think you can find out a lot from being properly tested. If you are going completely gluten free. i applaud your decision. But that may not be the only food that is messing with you !!
    My doctor tested me for food allergies, vitamin deficiencies and many other things on my first visit. Gluten was a suspect as well as dairy. I think he found many reasons that I was feeling so poorly.
    Sorry for my infomercial. Maybe you should give the GF way a few weeks before you try to grade it. I try to stay away from breads and pasta, but , more importantly, I am eating many more fruits and vegetables. Juicing and veggie stuff, a little red meat, cold water fish. Try it. You may get a boost you do not expect.

Comment

Bammaw, I assume punchy means; head fog, lathargic?

Withdrawing from those simple carbs (many gluten foods) will have a dramatic effect on your blood sugar levels. This is usually what I see with my patients when they initially eliminate gluten from their diets.

The simple carbs are getting sugar circulating quickly and now you're having to actually digest your food , send it to the liver and have the liver dismantle it and put glucose into the blood stream....a much slower process.

I'ts not really a toxic withdrawel reaction
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Tara, thanks for your expertise

Appreciate your always helpful input...and all the others who are thoughtful to give their comments as well.

Day three and already feeling better. When will I "get it"? Hopefully this time.
        Susie

Comment

doing well so far

Have managed to stick with gf eating for a few weeks now BUT made a conscious choice to go off on Mother's Day. No gut trouble but the next day I felt almost hung over...so out of it I needed three...yes you heard me...three naps...one pretty long one. Weirdness. Anyway, back on track and doing well other than my allergies are driving me nuts (and for me that's a short trip..LoL ). Just got over a sinus infection and hoping no recurrence. What does this have to do with gluten free eating? Nothing...just letting you know how I'm doing. Been doing modified dairy but may try and give up the cheese/goat cheese for a little bit and see if it helps the allergies.

Sorry, just rambling today. Very pleased with how easy the GF is going so far. My daughter made me the BEST home made GF choc chip cookies I've had so far. YUMMO.

Also, have a great nephew (2 year old) that has been put on a gluten free diet and I've been blessed to share with his mommy and grandmom all the stuff I've learned, where to shop, some books I have that have been helpful and some good products I found I like. Oh, and he ate three of the choc chip cookies my daughter made for them (same as she made for me) and he ate three and wanted more. His mom said he never does that! This was so cool. Recipe sharing time. . Hoping he doesn't turn out to be celiac but he's very small for his age and doesn't hardly eat and dropped down to the 3% in height and weight and though he tested negative for CD in the blood work the doc stil wants him to give GF a try for a few months to see if he gains weight an grows any. If he keeps eating GF cookies he just might sprout.

Thanks for indulging my by reading my "novel" today.
          Susie

Comment

I'm glad you're doing well, bammaw!

Going dairy free cleared up my chronic sinus problems...just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              I'm glad you're doing well, bammaw!

Going dairy free cleared up my chronic sinus problems...just so you know.

Giving up my cheese will be harder than giving up the gluten but I think I need to give it a try. Will be interesting if I find that my allergies improve as a result.
              Susie

Comment

I don't think that goat cheese is the same as cow's milk cheese. I think most people (adults ) have problems with cow's milk but sheep and goats are a different story . And there may be a healthier alternative in the health food stores or natural food stores .
                Good luck on your journey ! I hope you report back with encouraging news .

Comment

Working...
                X