Impetigo Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impetigo Infection

I just got released from the hospital today after a 4 day stay due to an impetigo infection. The oral medicines just weren't working, so I was admitted for IV treatment. This is the first major side effect I've had. The infectious disease doctor said there's no way I would've needed to be hospitalized if it weren't for the suppressed immune system.

I'll be having a serious talk with my neuro about continuing G at my next appointment. However, I think I'm still going to be on the side of continuing the therapy. The drug is working well for my MS and in the grand scheme, minimal MS symptoms are probably worth the random hospital stays for something like this.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of just has thoughts on the matter...

I wasn't hospitalized for it but when I first started the study for Gilenya three years ago (I am no longer on G) I ended up at Urgent Care for impetigo. The doctor was astounded. His exact words were "I only see this infection in infants and toddlers!"

(Then I had to explain what FTY720 was and what it did)

Hope you're feeling better. Mine cleared up with prescription strength antibiotic ointment.

Comment

Thanks. It's under control now, but my neuro's taking me off Gilenya. This is my second opportunistic infection and she's taking the tack that while thankfully the first two times it was just impetigo and cellulitis, we don't want to risk encephalitis or something more serious given the fact that I've had these two incidents in the last year.

I really wasn't expecting such a strong reaction from my neuro, but it makes sense. Now I just wait for BG-12 and hope it works somewhere near as well as Gilenya was working for me.

Comment

Working...
      X