Mesenchymal stem cells for regeneration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesenchymal stem cells for regeneration

I was wondering if anyone has information on the developing MS protocol which involves extracting mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow, expands them to a greater number, then injects them either via infusion or intrathecal injection back into the patient.

Among the leading experts of this procedure are Dr. Jeffrey Cohen at the Mellen clinic, Dr. Friedman of Ottowa and Prof. Slavin in Israel.

I know in the stem cell world this procedure dates back at least 15 years but only recently is being applied to MS. That is what intrigues me about it.

That's all I know but want to know more!

Many people here had stem cell treatment in costa rica or israel but the tread seems to have disappeared and so did the people who had it done.

Most of them improved though temporarily and the discussions just fizzled, probably too expensive for temporary relief a bit like ccsvi where most people restenose and need to get retreated. I thought about it back in 2009-10 when people went to costa rica in droves, then they stopped doing the procedure. Slavin still does I think, they were slightly different methods.

Comment

I went to CR and did not see any benefit. They used (in Panama now) mesenchymal stem cells derived from your ownfatty tissue for an intraveneous injection and it is suppose to reset your immune system. For "repair" they use stem cells derived from umbillical cord blood which is injected intrathecally.

I am uncertain how either of those could regenerate lost nerve tissue although I do know that the cord blood stem cells are a powerful anti-inflamatory, so for those with some element of inflamation, symptom relief was seen. I'm old time SPMS so not for me.

Slavin uses bone marrow, CR/Panama adipose tissue.
      Steve
      sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

I think that in CR they don't grow the cells. They just remove and re-inject, so i don't think the treatment was ever very effective.

Slavin is highy reputable but he can't guarantee results. I am considering it, but my symptoms are still fairly mild and I am seeing if CCSVI helps (still not sure) before going down that road. Don't want to do the chemo but I am 57 and may be unable to try it after 60, so the clock is a ticking.

Comment

Working...
        X