Vestibular Therapy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vestibular Therapy??

After two weeks of flare with severe vertigo not resolving, I talked to my neuro yesterday and she wanted me to start vestibular therapy.

Has anyone done this? Does it help? What is it??

Thanks.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Vestibular therapy

Hi, I just started vestibular therapy. I thought I'd recovered pretty good from my initial flare of Optic Neuritis-like symptoms last Christmas, but my physical therapist found all kind of new ways to make me feel dizzy and sick. I'm actually pretty happy about doing this...I try to keep my medicine load light--Copax, a mild antidepressant, and a couple vitamins.

My first set of exercises involve trying to read an eyechart while moving. Sometimes I'm bouncing on an exercise ball, sometimes I'm nodding or shaking my head vigorously.

My other set of exercises involve standing with feet together on a pillow. Eyes closed.

I get nauseous just thinking about it.

About 6 months ago, JR Hebert, a PhD candidate out of University of Colorado, published a paper showing that, in addition to helping with dizziness, vestibular rehabilitation helps with balance and fatigue in MS patients.

I know everyone is different and your experience may vary blah blah blah...but really, I would jump at this if I were you. Oh, wait, I DID jump at this.

Oh, but one thing you should know: My therapist warns that you will feel worse before you feel better. It takes weeks or months to work.

A couple other key words they use in this discipline, if you're planning further consultation with Dr. Google, are "habituation" and "postural training."

Comment

I can say both personally and professionally, vestibular problems are not fun to have!

Therapists will approach treatment in various ways which unfortunately may worsen existing problems and may even trigger off other symptoms.

When working with the vestibular system, the therapist is working with a large system. There may be issues associated with the eyes, ears (crystals), location of lesions, balance, weakness, sensation, procprioception (body in space) and more.

Many therapists are specifically trained in vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT).

You want to get the most out of your therapy sessions... to improve, learn to compensation and to be safe.

Talk to your therapist - good communication is very important. Go over your therapy program, how you are responding, and expectations (both you and your therapist)

Hang in there
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

wow

Thank you both for the explanation....

I'm waiting for the letter to come before I try to find someone, but talked with my PT (he's an ortho PT) that has been working with me on strengthening my leg/foot drop. He is the Director at a leading orthopedic center.

He said he is just getting started with this and still has training to do...and is willing to work with me on this, but now I'm wondering if I want to be his first patient....

Thoughts on that one??
        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Strengthening is important, however vestibular rehabilitation would encompass more eye and head movement.
          You may want to ask him to explain his vestibular therapy

Is your vertigo getting any better? If not, he may not be the best practitioner for you at this time.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

personally i would want someone who already has experience- they are generally physical therapists dealing with neurological issues as oppossed to orho.

as has been said, it is highly likely to trigger more espisodes of vertigo to start with but it is worth it to tough it out- the other thing is even if you think that it has solved your vertigo issues i would advise that you continue to do some of the simple excercise on an ongoing basis as it will help minimise recurrences - i made the mistake of thinking i was alright and that the vertigo had gone and stopped only to have recurrences months later and had to start again- now i do a few of the head and eye movements daily just for a few minutes

Comment

One of the things I learned in Vestib therapy was to move my eyes first, before moving my head in a direction.

I also went thru gait therapy along with my shoulder therapy, due to torn rotor cuff from of course a FALL.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working with the eyes are very important, thanks for mentioning it.

Also move slowly especially when turning or twisting and looking up and down.

Don't forget to use assistive devices such as walkers or canes to keep your balance and avoid leaning on walls and counter tops.
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Working...
                X