WalkAide/Bioness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WalkAide/Bioness question

My MS disability appears in right-leg weakness. It has been slowly progressing since diagnosis two years ago, although I am still able to walk without assistance short distances and up to a mile with trekking poles. I was wondering if it would be better to get a WalkAide/Bioness now to maintain right-leg muscle strength or wait till later. Any suggestions? Any comments on which device is better? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you wait too long it may not help you if the muscles are weak or you get more nerve damage,

I tested both and got the Walkaide, There is only one piece vs 3 pcs on bioness including one in your shoe. , WA runs on one AA battery, bioness needs to be recharged. I have heard people say that the walk aide is not adjustable and that is false, you can easily change the output by turning the knob.
    I has made a major difference for me, I do not wear it all the time, only when I will be doing alot of walking such as shopping or playing golf.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I HAVE BEEN USING A WALKAIDE FOR CLOSE TO A YEAR NOW. I WOULDN'T GO A DAY WITHOUT IT. MY MUSCLES IN MY RIGHT LEG WERE SERIOUSLY DETERIORATING. I HAVE FOUND THAT USING THE DRUG AMPYRA GREATLY HELPS THE FUNCTION OF THE WALKAIDE. THE UNIT WORKS ON A TILT SO YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO BEND YOUR LEG. AMPYRA MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR ME, BUT IF YOU CAN BEND YOUR LEG WHEN YOU WALK, YOU SHOULDN'T NEED AMPYRA. OVERALL, IT IS ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS I HAVE EVER MADE.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, IF YOU DO GET A WALKAIDE, THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THE ELECTRODES WILL LAST LIKE 2 OR SO WEEKS. I AM GETTING ABOUT 6 WEEKS LIFE OUT OF MY ELECTRODES BY USING A ZIPLOCK BAG TO COVER THEM INSTEAD OF HOW THEY TELL YOU.

GOOD LUCK
      "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa

Comment

I agree with the Ampyra and the walk aide combo, makes a major difference for me. I get about 3-4 wks from the electrodes but don't wear it every day either. I am fortunate in that the VA supplies the electrodes as well as the walk aide for me.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Thanks for the hints! I try out the WalkAid on Monday but have yet to hear back from the Bioness people (2 weeks later; maybe they don't need my money ).

Comment

WalkAide

Did you ever get the WalkAide ? If so, how did it work for you ?

Comment

I tried the walkaid for two weeks a year ago May. However, when I fell while wearing it, I realized that it wasn't the solution for me. My problem are weak hip flexors, and I found the HFAD. It has helped and was <$300. There are walkaids and bioness L300's for sale, so I have come to believe others purchase these devices thinking they are the solution when they're not. If you are considering purchase, I recommend "renting" the unit. It will set you back $300-500, but it is cheaper than the $4500-6200 cost. I spent the $4200 for air conditioning, so I'm set for the summer! Let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help!

Comment

I got the newest Walkaide cuff for my Old Walkaide

I went to have the Walkaide reprogrammed after several years of owning it. That was a good thing to do. I also got the cuff they redesigned and it was a great improvement. It is easy to put the electrode pads in place and The locking mechanism is no longer just Velcro . It really makes it simpler to use.
                "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Approved for a WalkAide

Well, my insurance co just approved to pay most of the cost so I will go to pick one up tomorrow. I will report back on how it works

Comment

Walkaie/Bioness

I have both. I've had my walk aide for at least 3.5 years and couldn't live without it. You can wear it barefoot, right out of bed and it will be the last thing you take off at night; it makes an enormous difference. I purchased the Bioness Plus unit last year because my thigh and hip flexors were becoming weak, making it hard to pull up my leg, and the plus unit has a thigh component which helps with this. The only drawback is the unit is bulky, can be uncomfortable and, depending on your weakness level, can be difficult to strap on without help. Also, you can't use it if your barefoot. I use the walk aide for everyday

Comment

I tried both and swear by the WalkAide. I also recommend buying it through a good orthotist. The first time I tried it I was disappointed and thought the device was at fault. I tried again this year and the orthotist saw me weekly for about 3 months to correctly fit and program the WalkAide and help me with gait issues and exercises. It has made an unbelievable difference!

Comment

Working...
                      X