shoulder pain goes down my back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoulder pain goes down my back

I have lots of pain, all over, but the shoulder pain is really causing problems. it's making it hard to stand up....i use my arms to help lift myself. i use a walker, and it hurts when i go a short distance. sharp pains when i lift my fork to my mouth, sometimes jerking my arm and spilling. i can't lift my arm to reach cabinets, or hang clothes. about a year ago i had OT for my shoulder. she put heat on for 10 minutes then did deep massage. then i exercised with lifting a wood dowel. it helped some but not much.

i am s/p for the lst 10 years. was dx w r/r 15 years ago. my left side is weak, left drop foot, numbness in legs, feet, hands, pain in neck, shoulder and feet,legs. i haven't been walking much because of the pain. sit too much, but too tired and hurting

to get up my self. i think i should stard p/t again but afraid of hurting more.

We could almost be MS twins.....I experience many of your same symptoms. The arm pain is new for me and I wondered if it was MS or a pinched nerve. How can we tell? Everytime something new starts, I cannot distinguish if it is MS or something else.

Comment

I always suggest calling your physician anytime you get something new and if it worsens. It is also important to note that when pain interferes with self care, work, etc, it is another indicator to call doctor.

It could be location of a lesion, issues with cervical spine, pinched nerve, disc, spinal stenosis (narrowing of vertebrae) which can be from aging.
      Make an appointment so he/she can do a physical assessment and perhaps send you for CT scan or MRI.

Document the changes. Include what makes it better / worse, if there is a difference during the day, how it interferes with every day activities, if it interferes with sleep etc.
      It will give you feedback as well as your doctor
      I wouldn't wait.

Try to use the opposite arm more, let the affected one rest. Keep it close to body, even put it in a sling if that's easier.
      Keep items you frequently use at waist level. Don't lift heavy objects. Advil or aleve if you can.
      Most of all ASK FOR HELP!! Think about things you need to do and see if someone else can do it for you
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Working...
      X