Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvigil-Energy Pills??

Hello all!
    I am VERY new to all of this and I'm considering trying Nuvigil, an energy pill thing? I have had a sample pack of 150mg and 250mg for over a week and have not made the decision to try it yet. I put off the idea of using them, but I'm starting to fade. I work full-time as a nursing unit clerk and I'm in college (3 classes at the moment, never again), I hate the idea of taking another medication. BUT if it helps me, I WILL

I am on Betaseron right now and the BetaPlus program helps with my co-pay. I haven't even asked my insco if they will cover this med, i'd rather hear what anyone has to say about it.
    Thank you!!!

I have tried Nuvigil for my fatigue and really found that it helped. I have a very low tolerance for stimulant type medications so had had to star with 75mg (broke the 150mg in half) and even that was causing my heart to race. I had to break the half in half and after a few days I could increase to 75.

You probably should go ahead and check with your insurance company to see if it will be covered. A lot of people have issues with getting it covered. My insurance company denied my saying that I was "too old" because they only cover it up to the age of 22. I could have gotten my neuro to write a letter but figured it was not worth the fight. I get samples from my pcp.

Comment

Thank you so much! I will call them on tomorrow. I appreciate any feedback on this, since I am affected easily by pills as well

Comment

Nuvigil copay program

I posted this somewhere else but it bears repeating here too - my doctor prescribed this to me, gave me sample packs for the 150 and 250, told me if it works for me, he'd call in a rx, he also gave me a discount card from the manufacturer - the first month was free, all subsequent months will be $5. Nuvigil is a "nonpreferred" drug with my insurance company, so paying $50/month definitely would have been tough. Ask your doctor if he/she has any of those... mine expires 12/31/2013. Yes, 2013!!!

I'm also on Betaseron, just like you. Nuvigil is fantastic, I never tried any kind of medication like that before, and it doesn't "ramp me up" or anything, just lets me get through the day.

Good luck!

Comment

a lifesaver for me

I have only been taking Nuvigil for about 2 months, and I started at the 150. I was awake for 3 days.

So I called and asked if there was a lower dose available. I am now on the 50mg and I don't take it every day. But it makes it possible for me to get through the day without the "limp dishrag" feeling.

Definitely ask your doctor for the copay assist information and also ask him to go to bat for you with the insurance company if they decide to reject covering it.

Comment

Thank you so much! I will find the script and try it this weekend, since I have off. I really appreciate this, I did try to search for any rooms/forums about energy pills or Nuvigil and didn't come up with anything. All of your input is great and gives my bf and i more to discuss! Have a super week!!

Comment

I take 150 of nuvigil twice a day as needed. It is a lifesaver. The nice thing is that if you have a good day and don't need it you don't have withdrawals or anything. I've only had good experience with it.
              Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
              Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

much appreciated

Thank you so much for telling me that! It's nice to know that if I really don't need to take the pill that day, I don't have to. It's so nice to have this site to go on and ask these questions I start seeing a counselor next week, but here is a whole group of people who experience or have experienced anyhting I'm going through and can help answer my questions. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter holiday <3

Comment

Check into Provigil, it just went generic two weeks ago.

Comment

Provigil

I appreciate this very much! Thank you for letting me know this!

Comment

Provigil Rocks!

Hi, I was prescribed Provigil almost 2 years ago, and it has improved my life in TONS of ways! I started on 800 (!!!) mg a day, and it was way too much, but now I take 200 mg a day, and it is very helpful! I used to have to pay $60 Co-pay, but now it is $5 a month (!!!) so no more having to choose between feeling energetic and/or having gas in my SUV
                      DX RRMS 2007, Started Copaxone 2008, Life is Good!

Comment

Provigil is the only thing keeping me in the work force. But it's nice to know there is another med out there should this one stop working for me.
                        Jodi
                        "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

twice a day

Originally posted by a.nukem View Post
                          I take 150 of nuvigil twice a day as needed. It is a lifesaver. The nice thing is that if you have a good day and don't need it you don't have withdrawals or anything. I've only had good experience with it.
                          Does anyone else take nuvigil twice a day? And at what mg? I take one 150 mg first thing in the morning. Not sure it has much of an effect. I feel like i may be more tired taking it. Took one pill twice a day but im not sure if its safe. Want to see how other people take it before i ask the doc

Comment

It's now called NUVIGIL...and YES it is a miracle. I could honestly sleep 16hrs a day during worse fatigue. I have 2 little girls to keep up with. I was very very hesitant. First day I took a half with my coffee. I ate of course..but man, I was running around scrubbing floss doing laundry..organizing. it was great!! Down side ...artificial energy

if you over do it? You crash and burn and pay dearly the next day. So I use it as a reserve med. Pms..fatigue days where I don't have an option to rest. I'll take a quarter of a pill to a half depending on level of fatigue.

And don't over do it. with nuvigil..I'm awake more..I can go to the gym several times a week, which I would have laughed in your face if you told me that 6 months ago!!Lol I'm getting work done.

But like I said. If you have a day where you can go with out? Always do. Lay down and rest or take it easy with a good book or movie. You can't go go go ask the time. Find a healthy balance.

Comment

Working...
                            X