Gilenya Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya Frustration

Just a vent...or rant about Gilenya, my experience and it's pending review...
    • I started Gilenya on 9/1/11.
    • My neuro left me in their waiting room for 6 hours.
    • They did not check on me one singe time until it was time to go - and then she just checked my pulse.
    I had to stop Gilenya 3 times for 13 days because my absolute lymphocyte counts kept dropping below 200.

Then, one day - I had what we'll call "heart palpitations". No biggie, right? Everyone has skipped heart beats every once in a while.

But...it didn't feel like skipped heart beats. It was different. It happened every single day. It startled me but...I didn't worry about it.

One day, I had something entirely different. My heart starting what felt like it skipping several beats all at once and I could literally feel my heart shaking in my chest.

No biggie, right? I thought I had too much caffeine.

It happened a few more times over the next 2 weeks or so. I stopped drinking caffeine altogether.

One day, I was up early cleaning the kitchen and my heart started racing like I was in the middle of a high impact workout. I sat down...and it kept racing. I went upstairs, found myself nearly out of breath and told my partner my heart was racing for no reason.

It eventually slowed down and I chalked it up to doing too much. (Oh the things we tell ourselves).

It happened again. The heart shaking in my chest happened again and THEN I got concerned.

I did some reading about what I was feeling, then some reading about Gilenya and it's affect on cardiac receptors and decided right then and there that I was not going to take the Gilenya anymore. (I knew I had to listen to my body and gut because I learned my lesson after I had a truly bad experience with Tysabri. I knew something was wrong after my first infusion but the doctor didn't listen to me and guess who ended up in the emergency room after going into anaphylactic shock during the 2nd infusion? Hint: NOT the doctor).

Anyway, I called my neuro on Monday about the Gilenya. I was concerned that I might be having heart issues. She said - in a way that I wasn't sure how to take - that the "shaking" feeling could have been my heart stopping.

How...does....one...take that?

She agreed that I should stop.

Now, in doing further research, I've been reading about the people who have died of heart issues on Gilenya. GRANTED - they won't say that the Gilenya had anything to DO with the heart related deaths but they are "looking into it".

Based on my experience, I feel like it should be a foregone conclusion that the Gilenya had something to do with the deaths. However, I understand the review process and eagerly await the results.

They have pushed back the release of their results to April. They were supposed to come out with them in March so, I'm very curious as to what that means.

Did they find something adverse? Is the drug company negotiating to keep it on the market so their share prices don't drop anymore than they already have? Did they find nothing and just need to get the type face right? Are they waiting until all the other countries get on board? Is the FDA coordinating their findings with ECTRIMS?

::shrug::

This should be interesting. In the meantime...I will enjoy being off of any DMDs for a while with my fingers crossed that I don't flare.
    Dx 4/02
    Brain & spinal lesions
    Current DMD: Betaseron (again)

Wise decision you've made!
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Actually, I thought the release had already come out. The 59 yr old man died of a heart attack. 3 other's died of heart failure and they do not know if it was related or not.
      I have not seen anything on April being the date it was pushed back too.
      If I were you I would stop it though, I suspect one gray area here is neuro's are not cardiologist and vise versa.
      But it is dang frustrating.. still if you consider the % the over reaction on the patients part is over done I think.
      I am a patient and I am getting paranoid too.I have had no cariac issues, but migraine issues.. most of which I blame the dr for.. long story won't bore anyone..

Comment

Thanks. :-)

I think April is when the FDA is supposed to release the results of their "we're looking into it" results report. Unless they change it again.

I didn't follow what happened with Tysabri and now I wish I had so I would have something to compare this to.
        Dx 4/02
        Brain & spinal lesions

Comment

I was similarly ignored by my neurologist and his staff on the day of my first dose last Halloween. When it was time to go I noted that I hadn't been visited all day, and he sheepishly took my pulse and sent me on my way. Of course, that's a vent against the neurologist (and I'm likely to change to another for that and other reasons), not so much the Gilenya.

As for Gilenya, I had heart issues detailed in other posts, and after 19 days I was done. The drug does work for some, and I don't regret giving it a try, but I am concerned that it may have been approved prematurely.

I was back on trusty Avonex a few weeks later; jifr, I hope you get back on another DMD soon!

Comment

I am getting to the point I don't trust dr's at all.

Comment

JLFR - my husband had the same experience with Tysabri and is now on Gilenya (on his 4th month now) and starting to experience some eye problems (no macular edema at this point, but a troubling uveitis). So you said you decided to stop taking Gilenya - are you taking anything now?

Would love to learn more.

Comment

Gilenya Go Program sent me to an independent facility that took my BP ever half hour, for 2 hours and then every hour until the last hour when they went back to half hour. I thought it was a bit much especially since I have big arms and BPs hurt. I would hope that there was a happy medium somewhere.
                Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Wow!! Heaven help us all

So sorry to hear about your dramas with Gilenya and especially the comments on how the medical staff and nuerologists treat some of their patents, yes it is a disgrace as I too wonder about mine, especially when I had told him and other MS nurses that i was not feeling right and that my legs in particular were getting heavier and heavier month after month after using Tysabri for nearly 4 years and then onto Gilenya for 3 months with slight eye dramas, hence 3 and a 1/2 years later I got the PML/JC Virus, GREAT HUH and still awaiting after more tests.... oh well just gotta keep battling on and hopefully something positive comes out of this... you all take care and may Love Bless us all cheers, jim

Comment

Laughter28...I am not on anything currently. I have an MRI next week and see my Neuro in June. I would like to be on an oral medicine but am just too scared to go back on Gilenya. :-/
                    Dx 4/02
                    Brain & spinal lesions

Comment

Working...
                    X