Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think my boss believes me.

hi,

Three years ago, I had my third major attack of MS -- the last one was 11 years prior..anyway, I had 1/2 my body go numb, etc. I let my boss know about it and have recently been having some issues....has anyone ever had an employer think that you are faking it for whatever reason?? maybe she thinks i'm looking for attention?? should I not even be discussing when i'm having attacks with my boss if I don't need to? is this going to be detrimental in the long run..thank for any replies

I know you're just musing here, but it's already too late to be wondering about whether you should be discussing your health with your employer. The first time you revealed the details of your health as an explanation for not being able to do your job, it became too late. What do you think you're gaining by sharing personal information in the workplace, especially information that can be used against you? NO, you should not be discussing your personal information with your boss for any reason!

It doesn't matter whether your boss believes your reasons or not. The only thing that matters is whether or not you are doing -- and can do -- your job. Even if your boss does believe you, your health isn't an excuse for not doing your job properly. Is that what you were hoping?

Since you've already revealed the details of your health, you have limited options to protect you. Now might be a good time to talk with an employment attorney about what rights you have and what you're entitled to ask for to protect your job under the law. For example, the FMLA can save your job for awhile even though it won't pay you, and the Americans with Disabilities Act might allow you accommodations that will enable you to continue to do your job properly.

This is all a bit harsh. But I'm concerned that you're mischaracterizing your situation as some kind of silly interpersonal trifle about your boss "not believing" your explanations, when you have a legal/work situation that has the potential to go bad on you pretty quickly.

Comment

Thanks Redwings –

I don’t think I wrote my post very well. When I re-read “I let my boss know about it and have recently been having some issues” I meant physical issues. Not issues with work performance. I was telling her about my recent pseudoexacerbation – if that is indeed what it is.

I guess what I was saying is that I’m not sure my boss even believes I have MS. I haven’t made excuses for my work performance. She is very happy with my performance anyway. No need for excuses…and I’m not one for excuses anyway. I’ve been there 4 years and only missed one day because of a blizzard, not because of my health. The only reason I’d discussed it with her is because we occasionally share some personal matters through casual talking.

I understand the “cat is out of the bag” but I’ll just keep to myself about any further issues. I’m not looking to ever quit my job and do the best I can but you never know what the future holds as far as MS goes. My RR is mild as far as I know.

Again, my sharing about my MS with my boss was just on a personal level, not to be used as any kind of excuse for work performance. I am more than capable of doing my job well but just concerned about the future of my health situation and keeping future exacerbations, etc to myself.

Thanks for the info though. I should look into things anyway because you never know when this disease will get bad from what I understand.

Comment

I think the disclosure to your employer should be a case by case basis. I disclosed to my company and they were very understanding and helpful as far as letting me have whatever time I needed off for appts etc. Actually it was better that way as many people had seen me walking down hallways and staggering as I walked and there had been internal discussions if I was on something or was drinking my lunch as my sx get worse in the afternoon.

They also let me stop attending the trade shows as I explained to them that standing for long periods of time was killing me and those days were usually 12-14 hr days by the time we got there early and had sales meeting and stayed till after closing and usually took customers out for dinner etc.

When I went on STD they put the paperwork in for me, I never even signed anything. They continued my health insurance also at no cost to me until I went off STD.

I'm not saying everyone should do it, but it would seem to me you can tell what the people you work for are like and go from there. Keep in mind that once you tell your supervisor they can legally tell anyone above them about it, but it is not allowed for the general population to be made aware.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
        X