Which diet do you follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BigA,
    I didn't see this thread and started another of the same type. I was wondering what the Jelinek book has in it. Does it spell out everything besides the documentation and scientific justification ? Does it include recipes, like the Swank diet book ? I looked for the overcoming multiple sclerosis site. It is a dot org not a dot com. Is this where you get your info ?

Comment

Jerry,

funny you should ask I loaned out my copy of Swank's book...gone. I swore I'd never loan out my Jelinek book...still have to get it back. So I can't go through it right now and am going off memory.

The book starts out as Narrative about Prof. Jelinek's mom who died from MS - (not exactly, but you can read about it). Years later, with a successful medical career and publishing, he finds out he has MS and is basically told to come back when he's disabled. I think that 12 years ago, things were even worse, in the sense that doctors had nothing positive to say, probably still recommended against exercise and had nothing besides shots to give or anything to say.

Against this backdrop, he delved into the literature in the days of dial up and found Swank and other studies. He put together a book, which gives a state of what we know and then lays out the evidence for and against nearly everything that's out there. The book was updated in 2010.

It's very different from Swank's book, which is 1/3 scientific paper, 1/3 his personal musings and 1/3 recipes. There are no recipes, but it's a book you'll come back to again and again. He also outlines a program for the "heart" with recommendations and books to read for the psyche.

I ordered mine from Australia when it first came out, but you can get it at the library or just buy it in Amazon. He has combined the learning from many sources and although there are no recipes, it is a very complete package for health with MS. Dare I say recovery?

Here's the website: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Comment

thanks biga, i had been thinking about buying jelenik's book, but now i definitely will!

i have the swank book but it was hard for me to get past how old it is, even though the information is still good.

my husband and i were laughing at the chapter on stress where he very specifically refers to mens stress being from the workplace and womens stress from the children.

also - as a side note, i purchased the Perricone Prescription book and have found it very informative. it is an anti-inflammatory diet. lots and lots of salmon!
        Katie
        dx rrms: 2/12
        copaxone 3/12 - current
        dx pcos 6/13
        gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

That's great. I really think it's a good guide for a full life. Swank is a crackup. I'm particularly fond of his comment that MS patients are better looking than average.

Comment

BigA,
            I thought you posted that you were following a specific diet. What is that called? If Jelinek has a diet plan, does he generally outline the dietary plan and leave the food choices up to the individual to accept or reject the components? McDougall, at least, has recipes as well as an overall ideology.
            I need to have a diet laid out for me, recipes and all.

Comment

I suppose the formal name is the OMS or Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis diet. It's not a set of recipies. I recommend you read the book for an understanding of the research and principles. I believe it will help you in all aspects of the disease.

The program is laid out here:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram-Overview/

And summarized on a 2-page printout, here:
              http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...umentCode=1933

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                I suppose the formal name is the OMS or Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis diet. It's not a set of recipies. I recommend you read the book for an understanding of the research and principles. I believe it will help you in all aspects of the disease.

The program is laid out here:

And summarized on a 2-page printout, here:
                http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...umentCode=1933
                Thanks for the link ! verry interesting
                Meniere and MS but no dx yet.

Comment

I started the Swank diet about 3 weeks ago. A family friend w/MS over 20 years has been doing and feels/looks great. No shots either! So I'm following her suit! All I can say taking out the red meat does feel better and the more fruits and veggies helps things "move along" and I feel lighter already! Good luck
                  Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

I'd really like to highlight that the OMS program is a complete lifestyle change that prepares you for your new life. In many respects, I am happier and certainly healthier than I was before I was diagnosed. That's thanks to the guidance in the OMS book.

It's not to say that Professor Jelinek is some sort of guru, but he's arranged a program that's along the lines of traditional health recovery programs. There is a lot of wisdom contained in his book. Nothing too way out, but in my opinion, it has made me a happier person. So it's not just diet - but diet is at the core. if you only do diet, you will be way better off, but I still encourage the rest of the changes.

I'd like to add that my wife who at first said she would not change her eating to suit my new diet has done so slowly and is now so impressed with my weight loss and level of fitness, that she's eating better as well and is losing weight and exercising. So is my sister. We can become examples of positivity, courage and wellness to the people around us. Contrast that with what things may look like right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X