Which diet do you follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Bet

I started with the Best Bet Diet, but did not agree with all of the supplements.

I consulted with Tara Palmer and she greatly assisted me with adjusting supplements/diet/etc.

I do not eat gluten, legumes, milk

Very low saturated fat, refined sugar

Boosted "good" fats and

Lots of supplements probiotics etc.

Also added sea salt, apple cider vinegar, lots of antioxidants...

I agree with adjust to a diet that is just for you. We are all different. Having patience and professional help (like Tara) helps, but I've also needed to learn and learn about good nutrition.

Started with MS in 2004, no meds, no new symptoms, just diet.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Animal protein vs. Plant protein

So I receive a reply that 'men' need meat protein. I take that to mean 'women' do not. Also, Dr. Gupta didn't seem to draw any kind of difference between plant and animal protein in his statement today. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but maybe Tara could weigh in on this. Is there a difference in how our bodies absorb and metabolize plant proteins and animal proteins? Also, what percentage of protein is optimal for us to ingest per meal? I just read an article that says to use an 8" plate, fill 1/2 of it with green and colored vegetables, split the other half in1/2 and fill these 1/4's into meat and grain. The meat should be about the size of your palm. I've seen many of the diets and the only one that seems to be the real deal is Dr. Wahls' , that is if she really did reverse her digression. I just don't know what to believe. But I think the truth lies somewhere in the combination of the 'diets'.

Comment

I'm going with the principal that you need to find what works for you, although there are some things that everyone should do. Gluten Free seems to be pretty important. Lots of fruits and veggies- good for you regardless of whether or not you have MS. Limiting dairy to cultured forms and even then, not too often. Limiting refined sugar- I'm getting very used to coconut sugar . Based on my neuro's advice I've given up hfcs and artificial sweetener. I limit my intake of red meat, but don't beat myself up if I have an occasional hamburger- although I am trying to change that to bison. Good supplements. My understanding too, is that you shouldn't give up everything at once- if you do you'll feel deprived and not be able to sustain. Find what works for you
        Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

I'm on weightless diet-diabetic. I eat dark greens, nuts, lean meats, fish, almond milk, whole grains, yogurt, some legumes, fresh fruit and once a week I eat something bad. I have to keep track of the carbs and stick to complex ones. My sweetener is stevia, get through a vitamin place, so it is just stevia and no add ****. So far it is working I have lost 80lbs and my diabetes is under control. My MS I don't know, it was a little rough last year, but right now I am stable.

Oh ya, Moe, Larry the cheese. I do have some cheese.

Comment

I really love your quote

That is your signature quote

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            I don't follow any of the "MS diets" to the letter, although I'm partial to The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach. I do follow anti-inflammatory principles.

I'm a vegan, but that's for reasons other than MS. Instead of meat for protein, I eat a modest amount of legumes, mostly in the form of tempeh, miso and sprouted soy with occasional aduki beans and lentils.

This is basically what I was eating before I was diagnosed with MS, but a little stricter.
            moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

I agree...

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post

Holdup, as usual it is not that simple;
              There is a difference between Meat, Soy, Whey, Dairy, and Vegan Types of Protein.

I don’t know much, just that us men need our meat protein.
              I have not read it yet, this site looks like it has some good info.
              **MSWorld allows posting website addresses of reputable sources where applicable to the topic. Only those posted by
              Moderators will be live links. Posting personal websites/URLs is not allowed. These may be put in your Profile, or set as your MSWorld Homepage.**

Our bodies are all different our genetic backgrounds are different there are some good things in meat that veggies will never replace, that's that.

If you are of native American and your ancestors survived on some big game like elk, deer, and buffalo do you really believe being a vegan is meant for you? I don't

Good quality meat is good and I believe a little is better than none, for me...

I have been vegan for a time and I don't believe this was the best thing for " my body" however I don't gorge on tons of meat either, it is harder to digest but that doesn't mean some of us don't need some of the properties it offers
              moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

I'm not sure what makes people choose one diet over another. We'd all like to think it's science, but I suspect it's more convenience. Want a diet where you can still eat meat? Do the best bet/paleo. Want to still be able to eat bread? Go swank or jelenik.

As far as I know (and remember, i'm on the jelinek diet), there is loads more data on saturated fat than on any other food or suppliments.

If you read Jelinek's book, it's quite compelling. But do get on one diet or another.

Comment

I did swank for a majority of the first 8 years or so w/ this disease, and did well. I feel so much better since giving up gluten, and when I can get rid of the grains all together, there's a huge difference. My husband does paleo, just for health reasons, so I'm 'trying' to lose the grains all together.....but I do love my gluten free toast in the am. I do think you have to find what works for you, but you are going to have tough time getting you're protein without meat. Try the ms recovery diet or the best bet diet...good places to start. I am convinced I would be almost 100% if I could just give up the last bit of grains....they really don't agree w/ me. Now my 13 year old daughter is starting to have GI issues w/ them, too. Good luck!

Comment

It's actually pretty easy to get enough protien from Seafood and grains. That's why it's best to choose one diet or another - if you gave it all up, there's not much left.

Comment

Originally posted by rainykatie View Post
                      i am recently diagnosed and was already eating very healthy but not low fat. i am recently starting the swank diet.... low saturated fat, no red meat, grains allowed, lots of fruits and veggies...

i worry that if you are only eating fruits and veggies with no grains or meats you will have very low energy or a deficiency
                      I bought the book on my nook and I'm going to read this. I think this approach will work best for me. I do believe I'll miss red meat. I only have it once or twice a month, but still......
                      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

RE: lisa

it has been very difficult cutting out the red meat! I have been doing well subbing olive oil for butter and fat free milk for my 2%
                        Katie
                        dx rrms: 2/12
                        copaxone 3/12 - current
                        dx pcos 6/13
                        gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Katie, we have been having fun trying different kinds of fish these past few weeks. I am a confident cook, but Lobster is beyond my talents, so I guess we will have to order that in restaurants. LOL.

One thing that will drive me to madness is when my husband complains EVERY time I make brown rice or whole grain pasta. "I don't like XXX." Yes, Dear, I know. You say it every time. I told him "Look at it this way, I will NEVER make regular pasta or white rice again, so you can stop mentioning that you don't like it."

I love legumes of all kinds, so I could never give that up. When I saw the outline for Swank I knew it was a better fit for me. That could change in the future, but for now it is a comfortable transition. We should start a Swank Healthy Recipe sharing thread.
                          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Lisa - sorry for my long awaited reply! how are you doing on swank? i have been doing fairly well and have decided to completely cut milk and cheese out of my diet. by fairly well, i mean in following the diet - health wise i feel great except for baseline fatigue.

i eat a lot of green veggies, chicken and salmon. Have been good at cutting out packaged junk food. its just so difficult to turn down home-made cookies at a friends' house!
                            Katie
                            dx rrms: 2/12
                            copaxone 3/12 - current
                            dx pcos 6/13
                            gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

I starts the Seignelet's diet this month, it's a french gluten-free diet verry close to what you call "Best diet".
                              Meniere and MS but no dx yet.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaL77 View Post
                                I bought the book on my nook and I'm going to read this. I think this approach will work best for me. I do believe I'll miss red meat. I only have it once or twice a month, but still......
                                Which book?

I was thinking the other day that it could be that those who focus on their health do better. I'll never be sure if I'm doing well from the Yoga, Exercise, Avonex, diet or life changes, but I don't really care. And I'm not sure I am going to continue doing well - but I know I'm doing everything I can. That's why I recommend reading jelinek's book, even if you're another diet. It's a complete package.

Comment

Working...
                                X