Which diet do you follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which diet do you follow?

I was diagnosed about a week ago. I'm 31, been happily married for almost 10 years, and have 2 small children.

Obviously, I want to do whatever I can to keep this disease from progressing. I've been reading sooooo much about diet.

I was already pretty well (been vegetarian for 5 years)-but basically have been vegan the past week-but vegan with no grains, which is basically just fruits and veggies.

As I've been researching all the "main" MS diets, there are several that are basically, from what I can understand, paleo diets-which is basically what I've been eating for the past week, but with no meat.

Are there a lot of people with MS that actually follow these paleo style diets? Anyone do it with no meat?

Which diet do you follow? How strictly do you follow it? How did you choose that one?

Thanks for your help! It's overwhelming in the beginning, and this site has been awesome!

I don't follow any of the "MS diets" to the letter, although I'm partial to The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach. I do follow anti-inflammatory principles.

I'm a vegan, but that's for reasons other than MS. Instead of meat for protein, I eat a modest amount of legumes, mostly in the form of tempeh, miso and sprouted soy with occasional aduki beans and lentils.

This is basically what I was eating before I was diagnosed with MS, but a little stricter.

Comment

Yes, my vegetarianism was mainly for animal rights and environmental reasons. I've always wanted to go vegan, but just couldn't do it...MS may be the catalyst to get me there!

So, you do eat legumes? Some diets allow them and some do not-that's why I've essentially been doing a paleo diet, but with no meat. (which, honestly, is kind of restrictive!).

Thanks!

Anna

Comment

Im on a gluten free diet, for the reason I have Celiac disease also. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan or anything. I eat a little meat because my body can't handle meats too well. Celiacs aren't normally like that, but then again, my body never did listen to statistics.. lol. Going gf has made me feel more energetic and alot less bloated.

Comment

I follow the Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis diet from Dr. Jelenik. It's a stricter version of the Swank diet, which to my knowledge is the *only* diet ever scientifically studied for MS. The OMS diet is basically Vegan + Seafood + Flax or Fish oil supplementation. It's very simple and straight-forward. The book is worth reading, which ever diet you decide to follow.

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram-Overview/

My general advice on diets is that they probably all do good, but you have to actually follow them. If the diet allows high quality, low fat meat, don't go out and eat a steak or hamburger. And whichever diet you choose, the majoriety of what you eat should be vegetables.

Comment

Tanks, biga.

I agree-whichever diet I choose I will definitely do 100%.

Did you mean the swank diet or the jelenik diet has been studied?

Do you feel like the OMS has helped slowed your disease progression?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FaithGirl View Post
              whichever diet I choose I will definitely do 100%.
              that is very important (IMO). you have to follow it exactly.

my advice is to find a diet that fits you. learn your body and how it reacts to certain foods.

avoid the foods that negatively affect you and concentrate on the foods that benefit you.

whichever you decide, good luck with your new lifestyle

Comment

FaithGirl,

I strongly believe in everyone creating their own custom diet, based on their own health needs and taste. We all have unique taste, symptoms and thus health needs so to me it only makes since we should have our own unique diet.

This may seem like an overwhelming task, but it is not.
                With you already having a good diet, you will just be modifying it.

For start you want it to be anti-inflammatory, so go to NutritionData.com and review the current food you eat and check their I.F. (Inflammation Factor) and adjust our food so you have a good daily score.
                Mainly it a matter of swapping foods, like strawberries instead of grapes, carrot juice instead of orange juice, sweet potato instead of white.

Then you add lots of antioxidant, spices are a good source for that, plus they often will boost your diet I.F. just Google antioxidant spices and anti-inflammation spices and find ones you like. Penzeys.com is a good low cost, high quality site I like to get my spices from, that is for spices that I can’t grow myself.

Then Google ““health issue” Diet”” and adjust our diet accordingly.

So I recommend you going on the FaithGirl diet, even though I'm on the Sir Voor diet.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

P.S. anther swap I recommend considering is almond milk or rice milk instead of cow’s milk.
                  Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

i am recently diagnosed and was already eating very healthy but not low fat. i am recently starting the swank diet.... low saturated fat, no red meat, grains allowed, lots of fruits and veggies...

i worry that if you are only eating fruits and veggies with no grains or meats you will have very low energy or a deficiency
                    Katie
                    dx rrms: 2/12
                    copaxone 3/12 - current
                    dx pcos 6/13
                    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

The following isn't addressed to anyone in particular:

There are lots of grains that are gluten-free...rice of course, but also quinoa (which is a complete protein), oats (if certified gluten free), millet and more. I eat organic, short-grain, California-grown rice almost every day.

Comment

Originally posted by FaithGirl View Post
                        Tanks, biga.

I agree-whichever diet I choose I will definitely do 100%.

Did you mean the swank diet or the jelenik diet has been studied?

Do you feel like the OMS has helped slowed your disease progression?

Thanks.
                        Swank. I shouldn't say only, because there have been other low saturated fat studies and of course, I don't know all of the research. As far as I know, the rest are theoretical.

Jelenik builds on swank by removing meat and dairy.

Also, OMS is a complete program - Diet, Exercise, Meditation, Outlook and Medecine. I think they're all helping and woudln't know which is most responsible. I do all of them. I believe I am doing well and feel great. I also feel I am warding off other diseases with this complete, ultra-healthy program. As for progression, I won't know until 10 years have passed.

Please write me if you want more details about my experiences.

Comment

BigA, I'd love to know more about your experience, especially if you believe your diet has helped. How do I write you?

Comment

Broccoli has protein ?

For all of you that follow diet stuff, I just saw Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Anderson Cooper's Tv show today. He said that broccoli and spinach have more protein in them than the same serving of chicken. So for all of you who think eating meat is the best way to get protein in your diet, you are, apparently, mistaken. The other mistake that we commonly make in our diets is in the percentage of protein in the diet. Dr. Terry Wahls, who is currently conducting an FDA trial based on nutrition, says that protein should be about 10% of your intake.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                              For all of you that follow diet stuff, I just saw Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Anderson Cooper's Tv show today. He said that broccoli and spinach have more protein in them than the same serving of chicken. So for all of you who think eating meat is the best way to get protein in your diet, you are, apparently, mistaken. The other mistake that we commonly make in our diets is in the percentage of protein in the diet. Dr. Terry Wahls, who is currently conducting an FDA trial based on nutrition, says that protein should be about 10% of your intake.

Holdup, as usual it is not that simple;
                              There is a difference between Meat, Soy, Whey, Dairy, and Vegan Types of Protein.

I don’t know much, just that us men need our meat protein.
                              I have not read it yet, this site looks like it has some good info.
                              **MSWorld allows posting website addresses of reputable sources where applicable to the topic. Only those posted by Moderators will be live links. Posting personal websites/URLs is not allowed. These may be put in your Profile, or set as your MSWorld Homepage.**

Comment

Working...
                              X