Upper thigh pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper thigh pain

I have upper thigh pain, across the leg toward the hip, when I try to stretch the leg and also running down the thigh muscle. I know I'm a mess, right? Anyhow, went to my pcp, he xrayed and then manipulated it. I taught him to be much faster than he was/did though. I gouged his arm while I was reaching for a horridly painful spot when he was moving the leg. His arm was between my hand and my leg! It was an accident and I apologized profusely, but at least he KNOWS that it hurts, right?!?

He suggested some pt, based on how it hurt, is there anything I can try at home before I go to therapy? I can't flex my leg enough to put my socks on, tie shoes, or even clip my toenails. It came on very rapidly. The left leg is okay. I always considered the left leg to be my weaker one, I use a cane with varying degrees of leaning on it.

I am confused and hurting. Any words of advice would be great.

You are not a mess!

The symptoms you are experiencing sounds like the lower back, discs, and/or sciatic nerve may be involved.
    Xray doesn't always show a lot so if it continues, you may need an MRI (This is just my opinion, not a medical assessment)

PT will be helpful. Therapy includes: Education for body mechanics and pain management; strengthening, stretching and range of motion exercises, application of modalities such as heat, cold, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation

If you find the situation is impacting your independence in the tasks you need to do at home, work and within the community, you may want to ask your physician for a prescription for occupational therapy.

Be sure you are comfortable while seated and laying down.
    Don't sit too long. Stand every hour.
    When standing, try to shift weight. You may want to use a step stool to place foot for weight distribution during standing activies

Let me know when therapy starts and how things are going
    take care
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank you for the advice Susan. I go for an eval for therapy on Thursday. It hurts so darn bad. Seems to contract more everyday. (I mean my range of motion is becoming more limited.) I hate taking pain pills at work, just have to, in order to get through my days anymore. I will keep you posted.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for the pain you are going through.
        Your post caught my attention even though I was not even coming onto this section.

I too, have this upper thigh pain, along with spasticity. It seems to be part of it. What you are experiencing sounds like a contracture which is part of spasticity. Do you have meds for that? Or any kind of muscle relaxant?

I also have radiculpathy in both legs, mostly right leg. That is sciatica from my spinal stenosis. That runs across the butt, hip and down the leg, not in the area you are describing.

If PT doesn't help, or not enough, talk to your doc about Baclofen or other spasticity meds.

Good luck~ Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thank you Jan for your in-put also. If your pain is anything like what I've been going through, you have my complete sympathy!!

I also get the stabbing feelings like you were mentioning. I am on baclofen and neurontin currently. My neuro had tried ramping up the neurontin but I started getting bad twitches all over my body from that.

All of the problems seem to be wrapped up together, although usually only one or two of the pains happen at the same time. (thank God for that!) I have some that runs left to right on the very top of my thigh, but the most painful is a sensation similar to a tearing feeling that runs down the thigh for several inches. My hip had never cracked before this all started so I don't know what caused what. I have had sciatic pain before, usually when my pelvis/hip is out of place. Normally I get muscles knots in my lower back with that problem.

I think it is probably contactures as well as spasticity also. I'm sure hoping they can help me out with the therapy evaluation tomorrow for some answers as to what is causing what....

Thank you again Susan and Jan!

Comment

I wonder if they did an MRI of your hip/lumbar area?

I had a tendon pop off the hip few years ago.. the WORSE pain afterwards that I would not even go into the ER cuz I knew it would hurt too much to even get there (could barely walk) or get onto an xray table.

But finally, after PT was not helping, I had the MRI done and they found out how messed up my back is too.
            Plus the spasticity is no fun. I am having a bad day too with right leg/hip muscles. I FEEL for ya!!

Let me know how you're doing ok?

Hugs, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I have lumbar radiculopathy and it is EXACTLY as described. Severe pain in the upper thigh, accompanied by stabbing pain when I lift my left leg. I've had this problem for years, but recently it got a LOT worse.

I went to my doctor, and since I 'failed' PT (six weeks showed no improvement), he recommended Cymbalta. I said I'd try it since I was now desperate for relief. No pain relievers I've tried has ever worked very well, if at all.

It took a week, but today I noticed I can stand up and walk with NO pain. I was so happy to finally be seeing some progress, I went right out and climbed some steps. Again, No pain!

I guess it doesn't work for everyone, but I'm really glad it seems to work for me.

Comment

Well had the eval today and we did a couple things. She watched me walking with my cane and said that was fine except my cane height was adjusted down a notch. She feels that I have strained the hip muscle that connects down the thigh toward the knee. That is where the tearing feeling comes from. The upper/inner thigh (tendons) is very tender!!! I didn't know quite how much until the appointment.

She is very kind and gentle, very careful to tell me if what she's about to do will hurt. (She had no problem reading my face contortions.) Her office is in the basement. Good news is they have an elevator. Bad news is when I left the appointment, the elevator was broken. So got to walk up 2 flights of stairs. That was fun.

So I have some gentle stretches to start with and to ice the thigh to try and calm everything down. She says for me to use 2 canes or my walker right now. That will take pressure off the joint. Then back next week twice. hopefully will be making more progress.

Talking of you pain Jan is so familiar. I can barely get in or out of my car or even the bed. What do you do for your pain/spasticity?

Comment

When you say you have trouble getting IN and OUT of your car, sounds more like Sciatica/radiculpathy. Have they done an MRI of your lumber region?

But what helped me, was when they gave me RX Diclofenac for radiculpathy along with Baclofen for spasticity it really helped.

Good points on using the walker. I have one..duh. It hurts to walk but get relief when I sit/lay down. IF it were my radiculpathy I would NOT get relief sitting or getting up or down from sitting.

Hope you figure it out~Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!

Comment

jcrain, it's great to hear that the med helped you! I had an xray but no mri so far. It's not the getting in and out itself, it's when I have to slide my leg to the left or right while getting in/out. Don't know what's causing it, just want it to be gone.

Comment

There are discs available that are used for the seat. Once you're seated on the disc, you use your arms to push. The disc turns to help you move lower body in and out of car. Eliminates the need for extra movement, pressure, awkward positions and such

Perhaps that would be of interest.
                      Hope you feel better soon
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan, I will look into those. Are they from auto or medical supply do you know?

Comment

Google them online, you'll be able to compare prices from medical suppliers.
                          I found this site to be cheapest in my quick google search

http://www.disabilityproducts.com/cg...A4ihd&mv_pc=17

You can also check local stores that sell medical equipment
                          You should find it helpful.
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

An update, therapy is doing well for me. She has been doing massage, ultrasound, stretching and even roller pinned me a couple times. The pains were covering a large area she picked the inside thigh ligament to work on releasing first. That's finally calmed down. Now onward and upward, or downward maybe.

Comment

That's Great! Keep us posted
                              Be Well,
                              Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X