Can't keep up with the housework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't keep up with the housework

I try, but the house gets messy. I try to be organized, but organization doesn't seem part of my mental landscape. My brother gripes at me about my house. Once in a great while he will give me a hand with something. I can't really afford to pay someone to clean. I got to do myself. Any ideas, to make it easier.

Try doing one thing a day. I do laundry (whites) Monday.
    Tuesday is master bath.
    Wednesday is guest bath.
    Thursday dusting. I just hate this. So much bending, stretching crawling and stuff.
    And clean up.
    Friday Color clothes.
    Dishes everyday and walk the dog.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

One of the things that has helped me the most is to get rid of things I no longer use or want. The more things I had lying around, the more cleaning there was to do. More to dust around, more to fold, seems like something always needed put away.

When I use the restroom, I wash my hands and the sink top too. I keep cleaning spray underneath the sink and give the mirror a quick spray and wipe down when it needs it-after I finish brushing my teeth. If something goes in the kitchen, I try to take it in when I go. I fold laundry while watching a movie, dust when a commercial comes on. I take breaks, I have to.

Cleaning floors-I need help with. Between balance, walking, spasticity and pain issues, some things I just can't do.
      I try to pick up after myself and clean a little everyday so it doesn't get away from me.

Picking up a little at a tiime can make a difference without wearing a person out. I used to wiz through and clean it all in a day-laundry too, now I do what I can when I can. I'm glad you asked this question. I'm interested on how others keep up.

Comment

These are all wonderful ideas. Any thoughts on how to catch up when everything just totally got away from you and now is overwhelming?
        My husband had emergency open heart surgery recently and I was already as you all are having problems keeping up with the house but then all the energy I have has went to take care of him. Now I wonder how I can ever get on top of the needs of my poor house.

Comment

I'm not sure where you live but if at all possible, use the resources of the MS Society or any other kind of organization that has this kind of help to offer. Our Chapter of MSS has a "Student Enrichment Program" where you can register for just this kind of thing. As well they offer light yard work, shopping, companionship... all kinds of stuff.

I hope your husband recovers quickly from his surgery, you must take care of yourself as well so if the housework doesn't get done, it doesn't get done.

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, let's keep this thread going. We all need, ideas and help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
              One of the things that has helped me the most is to get rid of things I no longer use or want. The more things I had lying around, the more cleaning there was to do. More to dust around, more to fold, seems like something always needed put away.

When I use the restroom, I wash my hands and the sink top too. I keep cleaning spray underneath the sink and give the mirror a quick spray and wipe down when it needs it-after I finish brushing my teeth. If something goes in the kitchen, I try to take it in when I go. I fold laundry while watching a movie, dust when a commercial comes on. I take breaks, I have to.

Cleaning floors-I need help with. Between balance, walking, spasticity and pain issues, some things I just can't do.
              I try to pick up after myself and clean a little everyday so it doesn't get away from me.

Picking up a little at a tiime can make a difference without wearing a person out. I used to wiz through and clean it all in a day-laundry too, now I do what I can when I can. I'm glad you asked this question. I'm interested on how others keep up.
              I do the same and it's helped me so much.
              Watching shows like Hoarders has inspired me to get rid of so much stuff and it's great.
              The house is so much easier to clean.

I only vacuum the busiest parts of the house after I clean the bathrooms.
              The other areas can either wait until I can get to them or I'll ask hubby to finish the project.

Cleaning a little at a time as I go works best for me, but I understand everyone has a different style.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Wow! Excellent feedback and suggestions, I've learned some new ideas

I am a creature of habit and schedule so I like the suggestion to routinely do some things. However, in our situation, we need to be flexible and not get frustrated if we don't do it or switch things around.

Prioritize what needs to be done. Use the time of day (or night for you night owls) when you have the most energy. That would be the time to do something that takes more energy. An example for me is ironing. I do it early in the day, seated, board adjusted so my arm can be lengthened enough where I'm not using too much energy trying to keep my arm / elbow up, less water in iron to make it lighter- just fill it up more often, and watch a movie. I make sure I set out just the right amount clothes and types for the time I'm going to iron. When I stand to iron - ie pants. I do the same but really try to be cautious of time. More rest breaks and a limit. If I get backed up I ask for help or take to cleaner for press
                You can use these ideas to many task.

It's okay to ask for help. It's okay if everything / something is not done all the time. Again, prioritize. Let others - kids, family, friends, services help you. Use battery power items such as swiffer broom and mop. They don't last too long but they are easy to use, get the job done, and will help you use your energy wisely.

When challenged with time or energy, ask yourself: Do I really need to do this? Do I HAVE TO do it NOW? Can someone else help with this or do it for me?
                Also: Do I really need this?
                When was the last time I used this?

Use assistive devices.
                Examples:Rolling carts - collect items to go from one place to another. Eliminates need to lift and carry.
                Reacher- helps to pick things up, bring items closer or to you when out of reach, from the top * make sure not to try it with heavy and breakable things especially when reaching up

Sit to organize. Have boxes ready - 1 for important papers/items, 1 for giveaways, and a trashcan
                Sometimes moving things out of an area 'makes' you put it somewhere with the right justification and organization.
                Try doing this with someone.

Simplify, eliminate steps
                Ex: Instead of doing dishes- use disposable
                Don't spend time drying

I like the suggestion to keep cleaning items in the area you need it for instead of one location.

Keep the feedback going with suggestions as well as how something worked if you tried it for the first time
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Flylady

The thing that has helped me the most is Flylady. I started using her website and ideas long ago to keep up with the household duties and I know there's no way I would have been able to manage after my diagnosis without her.

She has a website and also a book (Sink Reflections) that walks you through cleaning your house in babysteps, a little each day. She also has plans for crisis cleaning -- when it has gotten out of hand already and you need to get a handle on it again -- and for holidays.

The basic idea is that you have a rotating schedule of zones, and you do one area in the zone each day. Each week of the month is a different zone, so you're cleaning the whole house a little at a time over the course of a month.

The one aspecft of Flylady's system that has helped me the most is doing one load of laundry every day (or at least *almost* every day), so I never have to worry about falling behind and facing that insurmountable pile of dirties again! I throw in a load in the morning, switch it to the dryer sometime during the day, fold it in front of the tv in the evening, and put it away just before bed. Since it's only one load, it's not overwhelming, no matter how fatigued I might be!!!
                  ~Jenny~
                  Diagnosed 12/2010
                  Copaxone 1/2011

Comment

Originally posted by cloudedmoon View Post
                    I try, but the house gets messy.
                    Any ideas, to make it easier.
                    Torch it??? (unless you have a problem with arson it should be quick and easy.)

Comment

Thank you for sharing that website. It's very good and a good resource to have
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

Today I rolled around in my computer chair with the carpet cleaner and cleaned my living room carpet. I couldn't get under the furniture, but hey, who looks under there anyway.

Comment

Now that's thinking outside the box! Great

Be safe and keep sharing your ideas
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

Flylady!

flylady.net, like jennyvr suggested.

What has helped me the most of her system is: 15 min at a time, not a marathon session. And if 15 min at once is too much for you, then break it into 5 min slots.

The point is to do a little every day!
                            DX 10/2008
                            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Here's a tip, yesterday I folded all my laundry and put it on my rollator. Then I put it away using the rollator to take it to the various place it belonged.

Comment

Working...
                              X