Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tattoo laser removal

Hey Everyone,

I unfortunately got a beautiful tattoo bu the location is not so perfect. I was wondering if any of you ladies have gotten any tattoos removed. I am just scared that the stree on my body would lead me to relapse.

Thank you

Andriani
    Truth is as hard as adamant and tender as a blossom.Gandhi (1869 1948)
    Knowledge is the only good & ignorance the only evil-Socrates
    He whom love touches not walks in darkness-Plato

Hi Adrian, my oldest daughter is a tattoo artist so I have asked her advice. Laser removal is painful and expensive and takes a few sessions. Another option is a reverse tattoo, where the ink is tinted to your skin color and you are "tattooed" over your tattoo. Also a very expensive option.

She wanted me to ask a few personal questions and she can provide a better answerso if you don't mind...

1. How old is the tattoo?
    2. Where is it and how big?
    3. How many colors, approx?
    4. What color and tone is your skin?

She cannot provide an answer as to whether or not the procedure will affect your MS but she does have some regular customers with MS so she will ask a few opinions.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Good Morning Jen,

Thank you for your reply. I got this tattoo 2 weeks ago and although it is beautiful it is just two high in the center of my back. I can't measure it but it is 2 medium owls standing on a branch. It is just a black tattoo with some gray shading. And my skin is olive complexion. I really want to thank you Jen and your daughter for helping me out.

Thanks

Andriani

Comment

Hi Adriani, I just left her a voice mail so I will post when she gets back to me. Are you finding that it is out of proportion in it's current location? Instead of removing it, is it possible to add to it, like some background that makes it look like its in the right place?

Of course I have to be nosy and ask you what your tattoo represents, if anything? I love hearing the stories behind the tattoo, comes with the territory I guess.

Stay tuned!

Comment

Hey Jen

I will be honest I thought at first that the tattoo would be lower and but that time it was already late. It was my fault as well because using the mirror I thought it seemed lower.

The guy I went to is a brilliant artist and my husband also got a great tattoo there too. Have no complaints in the job did it's just the location.

At 36 my husband and I wanted to get a tattoo together and I got 2 owls in a branch that symbolizes my kids. This tattoo means a lot but I just don't like the location it limits the close I wear. As my husband says I can cover it and why not show it off.

I have been blessed to have 2 beautiful children and that was my tribute.

I am just afraid that if I was to have it removed would the ink absorbed by the laser be toxic and cause a relapse.

Thank u so much

Adrian

Comment

Hi again Adrian, this is the info that my daughter gave me to pass on to you.

If you choose to go through the laser tattoo removal it's really expensive, as a general guideline it should cost 2 to 3 times what the tattoo cost. It is very painful and will probably take a few sessions to remove it. The laser removal is done by a dermatologist, not a tattoo artist, please make sure it is a registered dermatologist. Please remember that it is a process in which your skin is burned, sometimes scars, my daughter has seen some nasty scars and burns come into her shop.

As most inks used now are plant based, not like before when they contained mercury and aluminum (for example the color red comes partly from nutmeg), you won't have to worry about toxins from the ink. She did however express caution with laser removal and a compromised immune system with regard to healing the burns from the laser. Also, if there is red in your tattoo, for some reason red is a very difficult color to remove and may take extra sessions.

She has some customers that use the other expensive option, where the ink is tinted to your skin color and the artist tattoos your skin color over top of the existing tattoo. She said a bottle approx the size of a Visine eye drop bottle costs around $300 and that doesn't include the artist's time.

I hope this helped you, I love the symbolism behind your and your husband's tattoos. Of course her biggest piece of advice, being a tattoo artist, is to show your tattoo proudly!

If you have any more questions, my e-mail address is in my profile so please don't hesitate to ask.

Jen

Comment

Jen,

Thank you so much you and your daughter have been wonderful! I have decided to keep the tattoo after all even if it is not in the place I wanted it.

The past two weeks I have gone through so much stress with every day life and after I got the tattoo I was paranoid that because I am not feeling well this might be the reason.

And after reading of people saying that their relapses are because of tattoos I got freaked out Jen!

Will be going to the Neuro next week because after all the relapses that I have had in 5 yrs I think I will do as he says and switch meds!

Thank u from the bottom of my heart

Adrian

Comment

Hey Adrian,

I get tats preety often. I have never a had a flare directly after having one. I always drink plenty of water and plan on resting the rest of the day. I usually do 2 hour sessions. I am really happy to hear you have decided not to change a thing about yours because it sounds beatiful. Take care!
                LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

You're very welcome! Glad to hear you're keeping it, it sounds like a beautiful tribute to your kids.

Good luck at the neuro and with your new meds.

Cheers!
                  Jen

Comment

Jen

I need to ask some questions is it ok if I can email you?

Thanks

Adrian

Comment

Sure thing Adrian, my email address is in my profile.

Comment

Keep ur tattoo it's a memory of where youve been in life and what you've done it's part of who you are. Sometimes we make impulsive decisions sometimes good sometimes bad it's all part of our life. Be proud of who you are tattoos and all, I've got two and plan on getting a couple more. The nice thing is tattoo artists are so good today, you can change it if you really hate it but the owls sound like a beautiful tribute to your kids. Would like to see it.

Don't think you should remove it to stressful to endure the pain of it all and you would probably regret it later more than getting the tattoo in the first place
                        moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

I actually had two tattoos within two months of being diagnosed and have never had an issue. I'm glad you decided to keep your ink. I faced a similar issue with positioning of my tattoos but now I actually like them. I may add to them later to make them look a bit less out of place, but they remind me of what I've faced and where I was when I got them. So far, never an issue with MS that was related to tattoos.
                          Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                          Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Use the TCA peel for tattoo elimination. It is most effective tattoo removal and you can get faster results. 25% TCA is most ideal for tattoo elimination.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the responses! I am going to keep the owls! lol

You girls are wonderful!!

Andriani

Comment

Working...
                              X